• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 (3 Signed), 20 & 21 Recruiting 2 Verbals & 29 Offers

mtgrizfankb said:
Whats everyone ideas on Keith Smith from Oregon? I know we recruited him out of HS although he had a lot of connections out west
Would be a welcome addition! No idea if we're recruiting him, or not.

Btown said:
Mslacat said:
Wes thinks Anderson will be equal or better than Huestis

That's funny, another Huestis??...Anderson is a big time project and played very mediocre this year in the AA ranks. Did not impress...If he isn't 6-9 competing against mostly 6-4, 6-3 interior kids who knows...another Samuelson type (who is likely better) and will end up in the Frontier Conference.
[emoji38]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtgrizrule said:
grizzlyjournal said:
go96griz said:
Any buzz about Keith Fisher? Coaches started following him on twitter recently. He would have to be a transfer candidate from SJSU.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheSpearSJSU/status/974839108802506752[/tweet]

They are the top 3 scorers on the team this past season.
Fisher is 6'8", 215 LBS, F, and will be a SO.
Hillsman-6'6", 213 LBS G, and will be a SR.
Welage-6'9", 205 LBS F, and will be a SR.

Hillsman (.342) and Welage (.429) are good to great 3 pt threats. They are great FT shooters as well, both over 80%. Fisher shot .492 from the field.

Statistically, they did well in the MWC. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/23/san-jose-state-Spartans

Any combination of these 3 could be a huge help to the program. The youth and size of Fisher is a perfect fit. The shooting of Hillsman and Welage would be a great fit too. Only problems is, they'd all have to sit out a year, being neither of them are SR graduate transfers. I think, neither have redshirted. Could the graduate transfer apply if a player graduates a year early?

With the number of scholarships available after next season, and possibly Besovic leaving, could DeCuire pull off 2 or 3 of these players? That would leave the GRIZ thin for depth next season though. Either way, I do hope DeCuire can add another significant rotational player to contribute next season.
Thin for depth next season? How?

Btown said:
mtgrizrule said:
Mack Anderson is far from a mediocre player. Once he adjusts to the talent of Div 1 basketball, he has tremendous upside potential. Like most Freshman, he will just have to find consistency and commit to developing his skill sets. Having the athleticism is certainly a huge benefit for him.

True and time will certainly tell the story. He needs a lot of skill development. I watched Samuelson at Rocky this year and if he can't make the Griz squad, there is no way Anderson will...Feel it is a token MT recruit. I'm betting he ends up in the Frontier.
You're killing me, man. They're nothing alike as players. One is 6'7 and not very athletic, albeit still a good basketball player. The other is 6'9 and very athletic. Why do you keep comparing them? Also, Samuelson didn't leave because he can't play in the big sky. He left for other reasons.

casewinter13 said:
mtgrizrule said:
grizzlyjournal said:
go96griz said:
Any buzz about Keith Fisher? Coaches started following him on twitter recently. He would have to be a transfer candidate from SJSU.

Hillsman (.342) and Welage (.429) are good to great 3 pt threats. They are great FT shooters as well, both over 80%. Fisher shot .492 from the field.

Statistically, they did well in the MWC. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/23/san-jose-state-Spartans

Any combination of these 3 could be a huge help to the program. The youth and size of Fisher is a perfect fit. The shooting of Hillsman and Welage would be a great fit too. Only problems is, they'd all have to sit out a year, being neither of them are SR graduate transfers. I think, neither have redshirted. Could the graduate transfer apply if a player graduates a year early?

With the number of scholarships available after next season, and possibly Besovic leaving, could DeCuire pull off 2 or 3 of these players? That would leave the GRIZ thin for depth next season though. Either way, I do hope DeCuire can add another significant rotational player to contribute next season.

The GRIZ are a little thin at frontcourt depth (PF/C). Right now it is Akoh, Nicholas, Kramer, and Jones. Akoh is the only one with significant playing time. Nicholas has huge upside. Kramer is unproven, but I hear great things. Jones is a walk on, what can be expected of him?

The GRIZ could use to add more post depth.

mtgrizrule said:
casewinter13 said:
mtgrizrule said:
grizzlyjournal said:

The GRIZ are a little thin at frontcourt depth (PF/C). Right now it is Akoh, Nicholas, Kramer, and Jones. Akoh is the only one with significant playing time. Nicholas has huge upside. Kramer is unproven, but I hear great things. Jones is a walk on, what can be expected of him?

We have akoh and Nicholas we already know are players, Kramer they believe quite confidently is a player and then Dorsey at 6'7 and athletic that can play bigger or smaller with his versatility. And a 6'9" athlete redshirting we can plug in if absolutely necessary. That's not thin. That's an injury away from thin, no doubt, but not exactly thin as it stands.

casewinter13 said:
mtgrizrule said:
casewinter13 said:
mtgrizrule said:

We have akoh and Nicholas we already know are players, Kramer they believe quite confidently is a player and then Dorsey at 6'7 and athletic that can play bigger or smaller with his versatility. And a 6'9" athlete redshirting we can plug in if absolutely necessary. That's not thin. That's an injury away from thin, no doubt, but not exactly thin as it stands.

To me, until the other guys beyond Akoh prove themselves, we are thin. As of now, we are thin. As the season progresses, ideally they all improve, then they may prove we are not thin. It is hard to ask and expect that a true sophomore (Nicholas), 2 Freshman Redshirts (Kramer and Jones), and 1 perimeter oriented player who has missed 2 seasons (Dorsey), to play consistently well. Chances are, due to youth, inexperience, and rust will be variables this group will have to overcome. Realistically, there will be struggles and some growing pains.

Fortunately, the GRIZ have a lot of experience and talent to help in the frontcourt transitioning into a solid core of players. The group, as a whole will be starting the season as thin. Fact is, as a group they all have to prove themselves and develop. They likely will be a much improved and cohesive group come tournament time. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
casewinter13 said:
mtgrizrule said:
casewinter13 said:

To me, until the other guys beyond Akoh prove themselves, we are thin. As of now, we are thin. As the season progresses, ideally they all improve, then they may prove we are not thin. It is hard to ask and expect that a true sophomore (Nicholas), 2 Freshman Redshirts (Kramer and Jones), and 1 perimeter oriented player who has missed 2 seasons (Dorsey), to play consistently well. Chances are, due to youth, inexperience, and rust will be variables this group will have to overcome. Realistically, there will be struggles and some growing pains.

Fortunately, the GRIZ have a lot of experience and talent to help in the frontcourt transitioning into a solid core of players. The group, as a whole will be starting the season as thin. Fact is, as a group they all have to prove themselves and develop. They likely will be a much improved and cohesive group come tournament time. :thumb:
I understand your viewpoint, it's just not how you recruit for a program. By that logic, we have 1 reliable front court player so should recruit a few more. No, that doesn't work. They feel like they know what they have in the other guys so may bring in 1 more young big to develop or 1 more older big transfer to contribute immediately, but we're not going to recruit as if we have 1 front court player that can play. We have other positions we want to build depth for as well.

Another Atheltic wing player, there seems to be a theme. One other scholarship from U of Denver

[tweet]4/6/2018 - 2019 SF Ronnie DeGray III (6-6, -, 2★) has received an offer from Montana.[/tweet]

flatheadgriz406 said:
Ronnie DeGray III Highlight

[hudl]https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6903052/5ab59b3f3453892660ec28f5[/hudl]

Does he shoot a jumper a little like Lonzo Ball? Think he needs to work on his footwork a bit. I like his underneath game, but would want a 6'6" guy with quicks outside more than a solid inside game. Nice drive and dunks. Now just need a light it up from 3 kind of guard!

Eddy Egun commits to Montana; PG or SG 6'3" El Camino Real HS, Los Angeles, CA [tweet]https://twitter.com/latsondheimer/status/983505090005757954[/tweet]

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Eddy Egun commits to Montana; PG or SG 6'3" El Camino Real HS, Los Angeles, CA

[tweet]https://twitter.com/latsondheimer/status/983505090005757954[/tweet]

Eddy the Eagle lands in Missoula??

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxuXesUoIYk[/youtube]

Kendal Manuel anyone? Former Billings/Oregon State player looking to transfer. He would be a huge add IMO.

grizd said:
Kendal Manuel anyone? Former Billings/Oregon State player looking to transfer. He would be a huge add IMO.

Hell yes, along with Raquan Evans!!! I'd love to see those 2 play together again, but for the GRIZ!

mtgrizrule said:
grizd said:

Hell yes, along with Raquan Evans!!! I'd love to see those 2 play together again, but for the GRIZ!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/406mtsports/status/983812640735719426[/tweet]

Manuel averaged 2.6 points per game last season with an Oregon State team that IMHO was not as good as the Griz. I am not sure he would be a great addition, especially if he has to sit out a year. However, I would love to see Evans join the Griz.

GrizWhiz said:
Manuel averaged 2.6 points per game last season with an Oregon State team that IMHO was not as good as the Griz. I am not sure he would be a great addition, especially if he has to sit out a year. However, I would love to see Evans join the Griz.

I believe he’s still coming back from a fractured tibia last year...

grizd said:
Manuel would not play much for the griz. That would be a bad transfer for him.

Back