• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 (3 Signed), 20 & 21 Recruiting 2 Verbals & 29 Offers

EverettGriz said:
Yikes. That's a serious talent drain at SJSU.

They didn’t have any talent to begin with save maybe one player with potential to play for Montana. They went 4 and 26. I think they would’ve finished near the bottom, or at the bottom, of the Big Sky. We have much better players overall then they do. In my opinion Fischer would be the only player I’d be interested in. That said, I don’t claim to be a coach or a great judge of talent. I trust this team of coaches and their recruiting abilities whole heartedly.

Griz1 said:
EverettGriz said:
Yikes. That's a serious talent drain at SJSU.

They didn’t have any talent to begin with save maybe one player with potential to play for Montana. They went 4 and 26. I think they would’ve finished near the bottom, or at the bottom, of the Big Sky. We have much better players overall then they do. In my opinion Fischer would be the only player I’d be interested in. That said, I don’t claim to be a coach or a great judge of talent. I trust this team of coaches and their recruiting abilities whole heartedly.

No, I agree; I'm not saying it's top DI talent, or even bsc talent (I don't believe it is). But when your top 3 scorers transfer out....

mtgrizrule said:
Mack Anderson is far from a mediocre player. Once he adjusts to the talent of Div 1 basketball, he has tremendous upside potential. Like most Freshman, he will just have to find consistency and commit to developing his skill sets. Having the athleticism is certainly a huge benefit for him.

True and time will certainly tell the story. He needs a lot of skill development. I watched Samuelson at Rocky this year and if he can't make the Griz squad, there is no way Anderson will...Feel it is a token MT recruit. I'm betting he ends up in the Frontier.

Btown said:
mtgrizrule said:
Mack Anderson is far from a mediocre player. Once he adjusts to the talent of Div 1 basketball, he has tremendous upside potential. Like most Freshman, he will just have to find consistency and commit to developing his skill sets. Having the athleticism is certainly a huge benefit for him.

True and time will certainly tell the story. He needs a lot of skill development. I watched Samuelson at Rocky this year and if he can't make the Griz squad, there is no way Anderson will...Feel it is a token MT recruit. I'm betting he ends up in the Frontier.
How accurate an assessment can you make comparing a player in high school with a college sophomore? Also, Samuelson played quite a bit during his freshman year with the Griz.

I don't know a lot as to why Samuelson left, but I really don't think it was talent at the top of the list of reasons why he left. I can't really speak to why because I don't know for sure.

Samuelson and Anderson are two different players really. Anderson plays around the rim, has good to better than average defensive skills, and is a good post athlete. Maybe not in the Nicholas level, but he is a great candidate for the type of personnel that can defend stretch 4's, pick and rolls. He may not be a 3 star guy, but he is definitely worthy of the scholarship that he was granted.

go96griz said:
Samuelson left for family/personal reasons. It had nothing to do with his talent at the Big Sky level.

Samuelson so reminded me of Andrew Strait, as a player. I was disappointed to see him leave.

go96griz said:
Samuelson left for family/personal reasons. It had nothing to do with his talent at the Big Sky level.

I'll have to disagree with that...he left because they were bringing in new recruits at his position that were more talented. He played sparingly as a red shirt and got bumped. Most of his current family issues came much prior to or after his exit from Missoula, not during his tenure.

Btown said:
go96griz said:

I'll have to disagree with that...he left because they were bringing in new recruits at his position that were more talented. He played sparingly as a red shirt and got bumped. Most of his current family issues came much prior to or after his exit from Missoula, not during his tenure.
Jared averaged just under twelve minutes a game. He also started a game. I don't know that this qualifies as "played sparingly." Also, what new more talented "recruits" at his position were brought in? Karl Nicholas comes to mind, but after that?

Wonder if the Griz will go after Ar'Mond Davis (a grad transfer from Alabama). He's a 6'6" guard and sat out this year with a knee injury.

He's from Tacoma and was Rorie's teammate there at Lincoln high school. He played 2 years at the College of Southern Idaho before going to Alabama. In his Sophomore year at Southern Idaho he averaged 16.8 points, 6.6 rebounds and shot 37.8% from 3 (85-225). He was their leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder. He played about 26 mins a game.

Griz must've taken a look at him in the past since Cobb and Marlon Stewart are both following him (and being followed by him on Twitter).

Potomac Griz said:
Wonder if the Griz will go after Ar'Mond Davis (a grad transfer from Alabama). He's a 6'6" guard and sat out this year with a knee injury.

He's from Tacoma and was Rorie's teammate there at Lincoln high school. He played 2 years at the College of Southern Idaho before going to Alabama. In his Sophomore year at Southern Idaho he averaged 16.8 points, 6.6 rebounds and shot 37.8% from 3 (85-225). He was their leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder. He played about 26 mins a game.

Griz must've taken a look at him in the past since Cobb and Marlon Stewart are both following him (and being followed by him on Twitter).

Griz are already loaded with seniors next year and this would further exacerbate that issue. I think if they go after a transfer it will be somebody with two or three years lef to help balance out class numbers.

Btown said:
go96griz said:

Feel free to disagree. I was told that by somebody very close to the family. I honestly wasn’t expecting much out of Samuelson but I was very impressed his last season and was disappointed when he left.

Btown said:
go96griz said:

wrong

Mslacat stirring the pot again... Just posted this on twitter.

6'5" San Diego SG.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlanDMiller1/status/980623172851634177[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DJ_Carter35/status/935707498979328000[/tweet]

Whats everyone ideas on Keith Smith from Oregon? I know we recruited him out of HS although he had a lot of connections out west

flatheadgriz406 said:
GrizWhiz said:
citay said:
Wonder what happened to Jamal Hartwell, a super-quick guard out of Fairfax High in Los Angeles. We wanted him badly but wonder if his scholarship didn't go to Mack Anderson. I don't know where he wound up.
He is still unsigned.

Looks like he has been generating a lot of interest from bigger schools like Mizzu, Utah, and Tenn. On that note I think we will have one more scholly available by the end of the year.

Little update on Hartwell. Looks like he committed to George Mason.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Compton_Magic/status/982292746634387458[/tweet]

Back