• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz losing 3 players...

maroonandsilver said:
Grizfan-24 said:
The injury bug has hit the program hard. Multiple ACL injuries, a myriad of other health issues have crushed the development and progression of the program over the past two years. What gap the women might have been able to close this year was undermined by Stiles knee injury. Without her, it was a roster that seemed unable to compete with UNC and other conference leaders at the end of the year.

Maybe that suggests a massive reset where the program is at, I don't know. Just all hypotheticals, but with the assumed departures of players, one might assume a busy spring singing period.
Here is the current breakdown:
2 Srs (Henderson and Anderson)
5 jrs (Stockholm, Schoening, Johnston, Goligoski, and Lonergan),
3 sophs (Anderson, Stiles (inj), and Harrington)
F: None
4 signees (Schweyen, Gfeller, Frolich, Mayhue)

If there is a scholarship to player equivalency, there would be one additional scholarship provided one was given to Lonergan). If two more scholarships depart from the above list, then I am not sure you can survive being 3 players down through a whole basketball season. Especially when one isn't likely going to be healthy until mid year (Stiles).As such the need to bring in some instant help (JC's, graduate transfers). I don't know if anyone in that incoming class is instant play other than maybe Mayhue. Someone else could attest to that.

Something is afoot, and it is a bit rare for that type of turbulence of any type to hit the womens program. Had been the model of consistency and continuity over the years.

Abby Anderson will be a redshirt freshman.

Women’s programs always have more turnover then men’s. For one thing, women have a better understanding of the big picture and have needs and goals outside of sports that they will put sports aside quicker then men will. Men get more tunnel vision in the here and now and are not as quickly to let go of sports. Definitely not trying to be sexist or stereotyping men’s and women’s athletes. Its just a fact that we are wired differently though.

Mousegriz said:
Grizfan-24 said:
The injury bug has hit the program hard. Multiple ACL injuries, a myriad of other health issues have crushed the development and progression of the program over the past two years. What gap the women might have been able to close this year was undermined by Stiles knee injury. Without her, it was a roster that seemed unable to compete with UNC and other conference leaders at the end of the year.

Maybe that suggests a massive reset where the program is at, I don't know. Just all hypotheticals, but with the assumed departures of players, one might assume a busy spring singing period.

If there is a scholarship to player equivalency, there would be one additional scholarship provided one was given to Lonergan). If two more scholarships depart from the above list, then I am not sure you can survive being 3 players down through a whole basketball season. Especially when one isn't likely going to be healthy until mid year (Stiles).As such the need to bring in some instant help (JC's, graduate transfers). I don't know if anyone in that incoming class is instant play other than maybe Mayhue. Someone else could attest to that.

Something is afoot, and it is a bit rare for that type of turbulence of any type to hit the womens program. Had been the model of consistency and continuity over the years.

I hope they pan out but not convinced on the Schweyens and Frohlich. Three D1 players on one Montana AA team that doesn't win state title in two years?

Agree...but, on the other hand, it is one way to fund your two daughters college education!

Mousegriz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I hope they pan out but not convinced on the Schweyens and Frohlich. Three D1 players on one Montana AA team that doesn't win state title in two years?

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. It's either that or the Bengal coach is really good or the point guard should've gotten a harder look.

It is my firm belief that point guards in the girls game are the great equalizer. Maybe it is the development of the girls game versus the guys, I really don't know, but the preponderance of girls teams who still use the PG as the primary facilitator of the offense is significant. I have seen it here in Southern California and in my experience as a coach in Montana and Idaho.

The number of teams over years that seem obsessed in putting the basketball in your fourth or fifth best player hands for a large percentage of a game is astounding. That is why I believe that in some cases the sum of the parts type teams have a tendency to be better than the cult of one or two players.

In my experience coaching the girls game a bit over the years, there is an absolute desire to pigeon hole girls into particular positions and skill sets. Moreover an absolute desire to create structural and schematic rigidity. Paint by numbers and in between the lines.

Grizfan-24 said:

Stiles may be ready to play at the beginning of the year. Skyla Sisco had her ACL at about the same time of the season (february) her sophomore year and played and started every game the following season (29 games played and started 29 games which is the number of games the team played that year - 1996/97, skyla had her ACL in february of the 1995/96 season). And someone said on this board they made improvements in treating ACL injuries since Skyla played. Plus, Stiles is currently lifting weights with the rest of her team mates, so I can kind of guess that she is doing the things she needs to do to get ready for next year. I have hope that she will be ready by the beginning of the year, and able to be a starter for the team.

TrueGriz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Stiles may be ready to play at the beginning of the year. Skyla Cisco had her ACL at about the same time of the season (february) her sophomore year and played and started every game the following season (29 games played and started 29 games which is the number of games the team played that year - 1996/97, skyla had her ACL in february of the 1995/96 season). And someone said on this board they made improvements in treating ACL injuries since Skyla played. Plus, Stiles is currently lifting weights with the rest of her team mates, so I can kind of guess that she is doing the things she needs to do to get ready for next year. I have hope that she will be ready by the beginning of the year, and able to be a starter for the team.

Skyla is not the Cisco KId. She spells her name Sisco! :lol:

My first reaction was to also comment on Stiles' recovery time. I have no inside info, but nobody needs a full-year to recover from an ACL anymore.

Also, while the jury may still be out on how good the Schweyens will be for the Lady Griz, at least Shannon recruited her kids to her alma mater, unlike the Tinkles.

While I agree that it doesn’t take a year anymore,

My point is that with all the departures and her injury, that looking at the bench it might be a hard stretch to stand pat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hailey Nicholson to MSU-Northern officially a done deal: http://www.montanasports.com/2018/03/30/maltas-hailey-nicholson-transferring-from-lady-griz-to-msu-northern/

(Raleigh)
That's chapter 1
Would you like to have chapter 2?
You better, you son of a bitch, I know the way
"There's always some hombre that can't resist swappin' lead
Just to see if their faster with the six gun than Cisco is"
"He-he-he, those hombres find out Cisco the fastest"
"Well that don't stop 'em from tryin', Pancho
Like Slade, here
He fancies himself as fast on the draw as them quarter-horse takin' after a stray."
"Oh-ho-ho, that one not gon' beat Cisco, either"
"Well, what's the matter? Can't the Cisco Kid talk for himself?
Is that how you got your reputation Cisco
By havin' your partner build you up?"
"I make no claim to a reputation, señor
And no one has to talk for me."
"The Cisco Kid, huh?
The kid part of it fits you from the way you act."
"I've meet with your kind before. (Cat scream)
You're a foolish hombre if you think he will not fight you."
You're making big talk for an hombre who will not fight."
"You are wrong, Slade. I'll fight you any place, any time
If there is a good reason."
"Well here's a fistful of reasons!"

Grizrunr said:
Any guesses or insight into who the other two players leaving the program are?

Purely a guess, I would think maybe Sierra Anderson. Her minutes have diminished, and I think she already has earned her B.A. Degree.

Grizrunr said:
I have heard from 3 sources that as of right now up to three additional players could be looking to transfer.

Or does it look like 3 other players have decided that:
  • they don't want to play due to injuries;
    they won't have sufficient playing time;
    they just are tired of hoops; or

having graduated from college (Sierra Anderson), it is time to move on rather than staying on campus just to play hoops.

I am more encouraged than discouraged by this rumor. It seems to me that the Lady Griz are well coached but that we just don't have the talent to match up with Idaho or Northern Colorado. This might get us there.

717s7e said:

having graduated from college (Sierra Anderson), it is time to move on rather than staying on campus just to play hoops.

I am more encouraged than discouraged by this rumor. It seems to me that the Lady Griz are well coached but that we just don't have the talent to match up with Idaho or Northern Colorado. This might get us there.

• This late season departure doesn’t at all help in the short term. That is unless they go a path not traveled very often by the women’s program: JC transfers.

I have some assumptions as to who might leave, but I’ll reserve my comments until the point when those roster changes are made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

717s7e said:

• Or could it be that you don't understand the names associated with these departures, that they might be quality performers, what the overall reason is that they are dissatisfied? What message is being sent to potential recruits with this roster upheaval?

maroon and silver
You are obviously more skilled than I at understanding undisclosed names. Exactly how do you do that? Who said that they are dissatisfied. I tried to make the point that there could be a great number of reasons why someone might transfer, but I think that playing time, wanting to play with your sister (nicholson), injuries (Nora Klick's back, Kayleigh's knee, Alecia's knee); and having graduated (Sierra) are all reasons one my transfer - without being dissatisfied with the team.

However, I don't recall any games this year where we clearly had more talent on the court (than perhaps the second Bobcat game). I thought Shannon and her assistants did a fine job molding those young players into a competitive group.

717s7e said:
maroon and silver
You are obviously more skilled than I at understanding undisclosed names. Exactly how do you do that? Who said that they are dissatisfied. I tried to make the point that there could be a great number of reasons why someone might transfer, but I think that playing time, wanting to play with your sister (nicholson), injuries (Nora Klick's back, Kayleigh's knee, Alecia's knee); and having graduated (Sierra) are all reasons one my transfer - without being dissatisfied with the team.

However, I don't recall any games this year where we clearly had more talent on the court (than perhaps the second Bobcat game). I thought Shannon and her assistants did a fine job molding those young players into a competitive group.

As an (almost) 73-year old man, lemme explain understanding: you ask the right people the right questions. You listen to and accept answers from those you trust and respect. Oh, and if consistently get the same answers, from different sources, you begin to understand what the facts are.

Mslacat said:
Grizrunr said:
I have heard from 3 sources that as of right now up to three additional players could be looking to transfer.

I think this known bobcat fan is just trying to stir up some trouble.

Back