• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Pac-man might have won the 4th on aggression with some effective punches. MW probably won the 5th -- MW picking P apart with the jab, but must give him P credit for keeping up the pressure.

Those paying the big money may actually be getting their money's worth.

Some guy from MSN's take so far...

Round 4

Several combinations in the corner by Manny. He does it a third time. Floyd looks as if he’s looking for Manny to tire himself out. Hard left by Manny, and he follows up with several combinations then a big right hand. Again, Floyd ties him up. Crowd chanting for Manny. Floyd looks like he might be hurt; he’s not being aggressive at all.

A big round for Pacquiao as the crowd goes wild. I have it 3-1, Pacquiao.

Round 3

Floyd lands a low blow that referee Kenny Bayless warns him on. Manny getting Floyd on the ropes, and Floyd ties him up again. Manny’s trying to make a fight of it, and Floyd won’t engage. Manny is going for it. Just before the bell, Manny gets him on the rope but Floyd counters with a right.

Round to Pacquiao. 2-1.

Round 2

Floyd with a right, and Pacquiao comes back with a combination in the corner as Floyd ties him up. Floyd lunges forward and misses a right, then ties Manny up. Manny comes back and throws a hard flurry in the corner. Floyd throws a hard left, then Manny comes back to get him on the ropes with a flurry. Bell ends.

Round to Pacquiao, 1-1.

Round 1

Fighters feel each other out. Floyd connects on a counter uppercut. Both fighters cautious. Hard right to the head by Floyd. Manny moving his head and feet nicely. Another hard right by Floyd connects. Manny lunges and mostly misses, and Floyd ties him up.

I give the first round to Mayweather

More of the same. MW boxing well, jolting P with hard shots now and then. P-man still getting points for aggression and landing his own hard shots. Would give MW maybe a 2-round (points) edge. Not likely to be less, but could be more if judges like MW's pot-shotting and don't see P-man's aggression as being that effective.

Saw the post having it the other way. Can't disagree. All depends upon if you like aggression over everything else. Have not seen punch counts, but my impression is that MW has out-landed P-man by a lot.

Looks like it could come down to conditioning.

Cuervohola said:
86-85 Floyd, according to the yahoo poster
Agree. Very close.

Right now, I'm betting one judge has it heavy for MW (likes boxing with hard punches now and then). Another has it heavy the other way (likes aggression with some effective blows). Third: slight edge to MW, but could go either way.

Ouch. Just saw a stat that Manny has landed less than 20% of his punches. If that's accurate, then he's looking good, but he's being badly out-boxed. Still could be all right if the judges likes a guy coming forward all the time versus effective aggression.

Just like I thought it would go, Mayweather just too hard to hit. One time Pac had him in a little trouble, other than that a blow here and there.

Too bad.

Cuervohola said:
Yep, and one thing is certain... We will never hear Floyd stop yapping about it
Yep ... that's what he does. (What a jerk. :x )

Still, I thought it was a good decision ... especially when I saw the punches-landed stats.

I saw a quote on ESPN where P said he thought he won the fight and MW "didn't do nothing." MW put on a boxing clinic (which he often does) and Pac-man had no answer.

Also ... a fight that did pretty well in living up to the pre-fight hype. Big problem though: Overall, MW looked like the matador against the bull, and won decisively on all cards. Does not offer a lot of oomph for a re-match.

My buddy upped our bet from $20 to $40 in the 3rd round. I gladly accepted :cool:

May is a complete jackass but I'm not picking agianst a Vegas 5:1 in a strait up bet...

IdaGriz01 said:
Cuervohola said:
Yep, and one thing is certain... We will never hear Floyd stop yapping about it
Yep ... that's what he does. (What a jerk. :x )

Still, I thought it was a good decision ... especially when I saw the punches-landed stats.

I saw a quote on ESPN where P said he thought he won the fight and MW "didn't do nothing." MW put on a boxing clinic (which he often does) and Pac-man had no answer.

Also ... a fight that did pretty well in living up to the pre-fight hype. Big problem though: Overall, MW looked like the matador against the bull, and won decisively on all cards. Does not offer a lot of oomph for a re-match.

Really Mayweather has never made for an interesting fight, he defends so well and picks his spots, very methodical and outpoints people...unless they are really bad then he finishes them.

Nothing against him, it's just he's very business-like and takes what's there.

Got a U-Dub tee shirt with the motto" there is.no off season." Probably symptomatic of the Griz outlook the last few years that this was not a Griz shirt. Maybe Stitt can change that, along with his 8-4 ain't good enough attitude. Hmm. A football post on a football site. Radical!

pussycatkillerz said:
If they really wanted a good fight it should have been Mayweather vs Literacy...

There's a funny quote at the end of some deadspin article that hammers on boxing and Mayweather. At the end someone posts, "Mayweather is going to be pissed about this article once he finds someone to read it to him."

glad I didn't waste $90 on this sham. MW just stays out of trouble while landing a few jabs now and than. Man, I long for the days of Hagler - Hearns....for MW to say he is best all time is a joke. Top 20 maybe, but nowhere near those guys

Back