• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A look back at recruiting class of 2016

Paytonlives

Staff member
The class of 2016 had 20 signees and 10 walk-ons. 13 of 20 signers and still with the team (65%) but only 4 of 10 walk-ons (40%)

Still with the team (13)
WR- Samori Touré 6'3" 180 (Westview HS) Portland, OR (2-Star)
WR - Brennan Corbin, 6'5" 200 (Villa Park HS) Villa, CA
WR - Dareon Nash 6'2" 175 (Charter Oak HS) Covina, CA (2-Star)
WR - Samuel Akem 6'4" 185 (Broken Arrow HS) Broken Arrow, OK (2-Star)
WR - Jed Nagler 6'4" (Whitefish HS) Whitefish, MT
OL - Dylan Eickmeyer 6'4" 270 (Salpointe Catholic HS) Tucson, AZ (2-Star)
OL - Brandon Scott 6'7" 330 (Owassa HS) Owassa, OK
OL - Conlan Beaver 6'5" 240 (Massaponix HS) Spotslvania, VA (Partial)
DE - Randy Rodriguez 6'3 225 (Centennial HS) Peoria AZ
DE - Cole Rosling 6'4" 215 (Helena Capital HS) Helena, MT (Partial)
DL - Esai Longoria 6'3" 268 (Vallivue HS) Caldwell, ID
CB - Josh Egbo 6'2" 190 (Highland HS) Gilbert AZ (2-Star)
S - Gavin Crow 6'1" 190 (Kamiakin HS) Kennewick, WA (2-Star)

Walk-ons still with Griz (4)
DE- Devin Manu 6'3" 240 (Billings Senior) Billings, MT
DE - Trase LeTexier 6'3" 230 (Jefferson HS) Boulder, MT (Walk-On)
LB - Jace Lewis 6'2" 210 (Townsend HS) Townsend, MT (Walk-On)
S/LS - Caleb Mitchell 6'1" 190 (Mount Si HS) Snoqualmie, WA (2-Star) (Walk-on)

No Longer with the team (13)
QB - Gresch Jensen 6'2" 210 (Mountainview HS) Auburn, WA (2-Star)
RB - Rey Green 5'11" 205 (Union HS) Vancouver, WA (3-Star)
OL - Thayne Jackson 6'6" 270 (Gilbert HS) Gilbert, AZ (3-Star)
OL - Ashton Torres 6'5" 300 (Cherokee Trail HS) Aurora, CO (3-Star)
DE - Noah Gerald 6'3" 245 (Williams Field HS) Gilbert, AZ
DE - Trace Bradshaw 6'3" 230 (Bozeman HS) Bozeman, MT (Partial)
CB - Lewis Cowans 195 (Mission Viejo HS) Mission Viejo, CA

ATH- Ben Hardy 6'6" 205 (Fairview HS) Fairview, MT (Walk-on)
QB - Connor Kaegi 6'7" 205 Quincy, CA (Walk-on)
QB- Brandon Bea 6'3" 225 (Riverdale HS) Murfreesboro, TN (Walk-on)
WR- Nolan Thompson 6'4" 200 (Huntington Beach HS) Huntington Beach, CA (Walk-on)
K/P - Austin Carver 5'9" 200 (Mesa CC) Mesa, AZ (Walk-on)
K - Trevin Thompson (msu/Carroll Transfer) (Walk-on)

Hurts seeing Jackson & Torres no longer with the team. They, along with Eickmeyer, were the cornerstones of this class (imo), this should've been the year where they asserted themselves. Hopefully Eickmeyer can carry the mantle.
Also, Rosling is still listed on the roster, is there something we don't know?

This was a really good class for Stitt originally. Mostly for the out of state gets. I think it was a top 5 at the time according to Hero (whatever that is worth). I think what happened was that the OL suffered some losses no one saw coming then the coaching change caused others to leave like Green and Jensen. The players that are left will be counted on this year to make it the playoffs. One thing that Coach Green has said to me before is that Montana and Northwest players have a greater likelihood to stick around throughout the the 4 to 5 years. I kind of saw that in Hauck's recruiting strategy this year and I think Choate is slowly learning that as well.

dayday said:
This was a really good class for Stitt originally. Mostly for the out of state gets. I think it was a top 5 at the time according to Hero (whatever that is worth). I think what happened was that the OL suffered some losses no one saw coming then the coaching change caused others to leave like Green and Jensen. The players that are left will be counted on this year to make it the playoffs. One thing that Coach Green has said to me before is that Montana and Northwest players have a greater likelihood to stick around throughout the the 4 to 5 years. I kind of saw that in Hauck's recruiting strategy this year and I think Choate is slowly learning that as well.

Actually Choate recognized that and emphasized it from day 1.

poorgriz said:
dayday said:

I am not sure about that as he’s taking on some out of state guys that simply have not planned or even made it to camp in some instances. Their class last year has a few that come to mind.

dayday said:
poorgriz said:
dayday said:

I am not sure about that as he’s taking on some out of state guys that simply have not planned or even made it to camp in some instances. Their class last year has a few that come to mind.

Including some Montana and PNW guys.

Connor Kaegi, I believe, didn’t play a single snap for Montana.
He’s now in The Spring League playing for the Blues.

Back