• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Recruiting Class Grade

dayday

DONOR
As always recruiting is crap shoot so these grades can be taken with a grain of salt.

Positives:
I believe this class is very solid. We did well in-state and in the northwest which is a priority. We got players at almost every position. Trenches were mostly addressed. Owens or Walker are probably the best atheletes of the class.

Negatives:
January recruiting seemed to really fizzle out when I think they still had a few schollies to play with. Hard to believe their were pretty much no home visits or OVs during that month. I think we could have used more speed in this class. Another cover DB and DT could have been used. A luxury would have been to get a speedy running back to complement Ostmo. It also seemed like we struggled to get some of those Cali athletes when other big sky schools were able to get them.

Overall: I grade this out as a B- to B.

Looking ahead: May and June should shed some light on transfers. There is at least one rumored that I am excited about. We will see if that actually pans out. I also think Hauck will really develop the players he has now this offseason so looking forward in what will be a pivotal prove it year for Hauck and staff.

Didn't we get that speedy RB in Knight?

Also, I really like the two corners we signed.

dayday said:
Looking ahead: May and June should shed some light on transfers. There is at least one rumored that I am excited about. We will see if that actually pans out. I also think Hauck will really develop the players he has now this offseason so looking forward in what will be a pivotal prove it year for Hauck and staff.

Just curious if you can post the rumored transfer's position? Personally, I am hoping it is DT or possibly another experience OL.

alabamagrizzly said:
I give this class an A+++++. I’ll reevaluate in five years.

Stitt only got 3 and was sent packing just saying these last two classes better show something special sooner than 4-5 years

We won't know for a couple years what this class looks like. A player her or there, sure, but not the class.

I always get nervous when Montana recruits are numerous. It's still a small state. I'm not convinced Montana cranks out two dozen FCS starters a year. But some of these students are really good.

I'm not obsessed about recruiting California. One eighth of American students are in California, but there's no shortage of schools recruiting there.

I hoped Montana would continue to recruit Oklahoma after Stitt left. It's a football state with no FCS program. We don't get Sam Akem without recruiting Oklahoma.

griz4life said:
We won't know for a couple years what this class looks like. A player her or there, sure, but not the class.

I always get nervous when Montana recruits are numerous. It's still a small state. I'm not convinced Montana cranks out two dozen FCS starters a year. But some of these students are really good.

I'm not obsessed about recruiting California. One eighth of American students are in California, but there's no shortage of schools recruiting there.

I hoped Montana would continue to recruit Oklahoma after Stitt left. It's a football state with no FCS program. We don't get Sam Akem without recruiting Oklahoma.

Agreed, lifer. I know to many it’s important to have a certain # of players from the state, but I’m not sure Montana has the critical mass to produce 20 players a year capable of making an impact...also realize they don’t all cost “money”, per se, so its a bit of a different bar, but still, they’re taking up space on the team...love to be proven wrong...

dayday said:
As always recruiting is crap shoot so these grades can be taken with a grain of salt.

Positives:
I believe this class is very solid. We did well in-state and in the northwest which is a priority. We got players at almost every position. Trenches were mostly addressed. Owens or Walker are probably the best atheletes of the class.

Negatives:
January recruiting seemed to really fizzle out when I think they still had a few schollies to play with. Hard to believe their were pretty much no home visits or OVs during that month. I think we could have used more speed in this class. Another cover DB and DT could have been used. A luxury would have been to get a speedy running back to complement Ostmo. It also seemed like we struggled to get some of those Cali athletes when other big sky schools were able to get them.

We all say have to wait, but that’s a stupid answer. The whole point is based on what we see and projections. It’s fun to do that and then see what happens down the road. I call this a C+. There’s no way there are 12 FCS players in Montana per year, let alone on each team. Those that think all that matters is we “win the state” by recruiting a bunch of in state kids are just kidding themselves. The key is to get 5 of the best in state, plus a few steals that develop. I want the Griz to win...to RTD. UNDSU has about 20 players from ND on the team total. They have plenty of fan base and winning brings in the bandwagoners. A state as small as MT cannot Have 1/3 of the team from Montana. They can work magic on the scholarship for in state kids, so that’s fine. looking at that total group I like a lot of the players. I like a lot of the MT kids, but this team needs a DT or 2, an OL or 2, and another CB or 2. Some of those MT kids are taking up a slot for a run stopper or a freaking CB.

You are all discounting the fact that we are getting many of those MT kids on partial or PWO. As a result you are getting more kids with less money. We've done pretty well with those partial and PWO MT kids in the past. Hauck especially.

A better way to evaluate it is breaking down geography by scholarship money. From that perspective, the mix is pretty good IMO.

I could be wrong though. You guys should call Hauck and tell him his recruiting and talent evaluation strategies are off base...lol

Wow. Definitely not what I expected. Was Hauck short on scholarships? Is he holding a bunch back for summer transfers?

wbtfg said:
Wow. Definitely not what I expected. Was Hauck short on scholarships? Is he holding a bunch back for summer transfers?

I do not know total scholarship number, but team only had 12 seniors total in 2018. Also had two grey shirt commitments that scholarships went into effect this semester.

an honest question ?........are there any of these recruits who will play as a true freshman ?.....Sulser was special last year, do we have one this year ?......if so, who ?.......the board sounds like the are all red shirts.....i am not talking about transfers, as Bobby has made it plain he does not recruit those folks to ride the bench.

For having and extremely small senior class we did well. A lot of positions we offered multiple and it was the first commit got the scholarship. We recruited MT heavy because those kids we can often get with partials or some assist because they are in state and don’t have the attention. Bobby is focused on high gpa kids mostly. He thinks Montana kids can be molded and are more willing to go anywhere and do anything to play. Many bigger recruits you don’t have that flexibility. This class is full of potential guys and then some guys that can play ASAP. OL got a lot of help. Some of the OL guys on the team currently will go back to DL in spring or after. We got some good size at WR. We got some DB talent. We have some middle size guys for LB or DE. Overall we got 26 guys with 10-12 scholarships to hand out. A few more opened with players leaving and rumor has it we will have a chance to land a transfer or two in relevant positions if they are a fit. Overall this is a good class. Good chance for these guys to prove themselves. 8.5/10 for me. Solid class and not a lot of risk with the kids we took.

krammer said:
an honest question ?........are there any of these recruits who will play as a true freshman ?.....Sulser was special last year, do we have one this year ?......if so, who ?.......the board sounds like the are all red shirts.....i am not talking about transfers, as Bobby has made it plain he does not recruit those folks to ride the bench.
:clap:
Transfers that will play:
Knight
Pillians

Fresh/GS that have a good shot to get PT
Ostmo
Owens
Simpson
Dreis
Barthel
Elwell
Hurlburt
Grossman
Edwards
Walker

Let’s not act like this a class with no talent. I think 3-4 of these guys make real good impacts this year if needed.

wbtfg said:

I think UM had 7 seniors with scholarships. Yes, you could say short on scholarships.

dayday said:

Positives:

Negatives:

January recruiting didn't fizzle. The Griz got almost all of their commits in the early signing period. I assume there may be some dry powder for possible transfers after spring ball.

Back