• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Early Signing Period

grizpack

eGriz Club
DONOR
Just curious what the ramifications people think there will be for a kid who is "committed" to a school, but chooses (for whatever reason) not to sign during the early signing period. I guess I would be concerned if I was the school that he was committed to about him wavering.

Would we pull our offer at that point? Will we go after other "commits" that have verballed but didn't sign?

What level of hysteria will there be on message boards about the kids who don't actually sign?? Should be entertaining.

grizpack said:
Just curious what the ramifications people think there will be for a kid who is "committed" to a school, but chooses (for whatever reason) not to sign during the early signing period. I guess I would be concerned if I was the school that he was committed to about him wavering.

Would we pull our offer at that point? Will we go after other "commits" that have verballed but didn't sign?

What level of hysteria will there be on message boards about the kids who don't actually sign?? Should be entertaining.

To put it mildly it will be over the top. :lol:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/12/12/16682316/early-signing-day-period-coaches-strategy

This early signing period definitely gives coaches a much better feel for who is truly committed to the program or not, which gives them an advantage for once. I'm assuming if a recruit doesn't sign early the coaches are very upfront that they are going to be actively shopping that scholarship and that it's now a roll of the dice for the recruit

Question: Are there now two distinct signing DAYS? Or is it a continuous period between 12/20 and early February?

AZGrizFan said:
Question: Are there now two distinct signing DAYS? Or is it a continuous period between 12/20 and early February?

Two separate. 12/20 to 12/22 and then a separate February date. The linked article seems to say that all coaches feel this early siding period Becomes the big day and February becomes more of the afterthought

AZGrizFan said:

Early signing period is 72 hours. After that a kid must wait until the first Wednesday in February.

I can tell you that when kids start committing those multitude of offers are gonna dry up QUICK. Texas Tech has over 200 offers out to fill about 25 spots. Some schools have more than 300. It's just nuts. A lot of these kids are gonna be left without a chair when the music stops. That's when we need to swoop in.

Pure armchair speculation on my part, but I think the early signing period will take over the bulk of the signing activity from the traditional February date(s.) What might be lurking out there are some FBS offers that got lost when the kid didn't sign early. And yes, the sharks will be circling for those athletes until February. The 5-star recruits (and probably the 4s) won't have a lot to worry about, but the others, if they roll the dice and decide not to sign early, will probably have some sleepless nights.

Sounds to me like a case of "don't let the boat sail without me." Sign now or lose what is offered because someone else might just grab your opportunity.

AZGrizFan said:

There better be..I dont want to miss out on any over the top commitment videos.

The dead period between early signing and late signing sounds like a great time to shop for those FBS prospects needing a home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got Tru Johnson at Montana in a similar kind of deal where all of the FBS (at that time Div 1) offers evaporated over night due to other commitments. Tim Hauck was there to swoop in with a schollie offer. I think Tru had to get a map out and try to find out where Montana was----hah. Sure be nice to find a few more like that !

grizfromhel said:
We got Tru Johnson at Montana in a similar kind of deal where all of the FBS (at that time Div 1) offers evaporated over night due to other commitments. Tim Hauck was there to swoop in with a schollie offer. I think Tru had to get a map out and try to find out where Montana was----hah. Sure be nice to find a few more like that !

I guess he's done ok. :lol: :lol:
Born: Jan 01, 1990 (age 27) · Stockton, CA
Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
Team: Los Angeles Rams (Cornerback #22)
Salary: $16.74 million USD (2017)
Parents: Curtis Johnson (Father) · Lynn Stallworth (Mother)
Education: University of Montana · Edison High School

Love how they clarify that's US Dollars...not Liberian dollars, not Japanese yen, not South Korean won... :lol:

Any word on some type of announcement event - video, with the early signees? Obviously Bobby will be elsewhere, not all the staff is in place, & the technology arm of the athletic department (the av gal/guy), will be off for break. Spitting in the wind? (Question Mark).

bgbigdog said:
Any word on some type of announcement event - video, with the early signees? Obviously Bobby will be elsewhere, not all the staff is in place, & the technology arm of the athletic department (the av gal/guy), will be off for break. Spitting in the wind? (Question Mark).

That’s a great question. But the Griz kept their video guy so maybe he will not be on break

I love the addition of the early signing.

Another issue for the FBS schools is they cannot sign anymore then 25 players in a given class. So the days of Oklahoma signing 50 dudes and then cutting them after spring ball are over. 50 is an exaggeration but you get the point

Paytonlives said:
bgbigdog said:

That’s a great question. But the Griz kept their video guy so maybe he will not be on break

The day after the signing period is Christmas Eve. I bet the dates get changed next year to avoid this.

Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:
bgbigdog said:

The day after the signing period is Christmas Eve. I bet the dates get changed next year to avoid this.

I got booted out of the Catholic church some time ago but I'm pretty sure Christmas Eve is on the same date every year.

signedbewildered said:
Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:
bgbigdog said:

I got booted out of the Catholic church some time ago but I'm pretty sure Christmas Eve is on the same date every year.

Well look for changes next year. NCAA is king, bitch. :lol:

Back