• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lets take a look back at 2008 recruits...

Paytonlives

Staff member
In 2008 the Griz brought in a huge recruiting class... 33 dudes. Of those 33 only 15 were on this years roster with 2 inactives. For everyone that screems that Bobby was a "Great" recruiter... Just remember that recruiting is not a perfect science. No doubt TJ is a star, but who else???

BTW... I really dont want this to be a B Hauck topic and please leave Kessman out of it.

ON 2010 ROSTER
PLAYER POS HT WT. YR EXP HOMETOWN (PREVIOUS SCHOOL)
Charles Burton OL 6-5 2315 Fr. HS Long Beach, CA (Milikan HS)
Sam Gratton WR 6-0 190 Fr. HS Billings, MT (Senior HS)
Greg Hardy TE 6-5 245 Fr. HS Fairview, MT (Fairview HS)
Trumaine Johnson — WR 6-3 180 Fr. HS Stockton, CA (Edison HS)
Gerald Kemp — QB 6-2 185 Fr. HS San Diego, CA (Rancho Bernardo HS)
Kyle Kmet OL 6-5 300 Fr. US Bonita, CA (Bonita Vista HS)
Donny Lisowski DB 5-11 190 Fr. HS Seattle, WA (O’Dea HS)
Mike McCord DB 6-0 185 Fr. HS Phoenix, AZ (Maryvale HS)
Caleb McSurdy LB 6-2 240 Fr. HS Boise, ID (Borah HS)
Dan Moore RB 5-11 215 Fr. HS Tucson, AZ (Mountain View US)
Jon Opperud OL 6-7 280 Fr. HS Milwaukie, OR (Milwaukie HS)
Jabin Sambrano WR 5-1 1 165 Fr, HS Temecula, CA (Great Oaks HS)
Russell Schey - K 6-2 180 Fr. HS Billings, MT (West HS)
Alex Shaw LB 6-2 220 Fr. HS Spokane, WA (Lewis & Clark HS)
Josh Stuberg LB 6-2 190 Fr. HS Helena, MT (Helena HS)

Inactive 2010-
Josh Harris DR 6-5 210 Fr. HS Kalispell, MT (Flathead HS)
Beau Donaldson RB 6-1 223 Fr. HS Missoula, MT (Big Sky HS)

NOT ON 2010 ROSTER
PLAYER POS HT WT. YR EXP HOMETOWN (PREVIOUS SCHOOL)
Thomas Bauer LB 6-2 237 Jr. JC Niwot, Co (Saddleback CC)
Brandon Beecher DB 5-10 175 Fr. HS Aurora, CO (Overland HS)
Levi Buckles WR 6-3 % 195 Fr. HS Post Falls, ID (Post Falls HS)
Tyzer Cady WR 6-0 180 Fr. HS Colstrip, MT (Coalstrip HS)
Mike Cummings DB 6-1 192 Fr. HS Scottsdale, AZ (Chaparral HS)
Ray DeBruycker DE 6-3 205 Fr. HS Choteau, MT (Choteau HS)
Andrew Douglass LB 6-2 225 Fr. HS San Clemente, CA (San Clemente HS)
Kyle Finneman P 6-2 205 Fr. HS Havre, MT (Havre HS)
Eric Homec DR 6-5 215 Fr. HS Bozeman, MT (Bozeman HS)
Matt Hulse DL 6-3 260 Fr. HS Chandler, AZ (Hamilton US)
Jared Hunt DB 6-3 175 Fr. US Helena, MT (Helena Capital HS)
Ryan Kessman WR 6-0 195 Fr. TR San Jacinto, CA (BYU)
Blake Lebeau OL 6-5 275 Fr. US Union City, CA (James Logan US)
Matt Lipski OL 6-9 320 Fr. HS Ashland, OR (Ashland I-IS)
Brooks Rabold LB 6-2 205 Fr. HS Billings, MT (Central Catholic US)
Cody Von Appen DB 5-10 180 Fr. HS Kailua, HI (Kalaheo US)

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/topic30195.php?t=30195
http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/rosters/?r=10&m=37

WyomingGrizFan said:
I thought both Charles Burton and Greg Hardy were active this past 2010 season.

You are correct.. I fixed it. Still leaves 15 active 2 IR and 16 gone...

Finneman can't really count as not working out. He was a victim of a major screw up at both UM and Havre High. He was in the year when required core hs credits went from 12-14, and even though his transcripts were right there for both the Griz staff and the HHS counselors to see, no one noticed and the Griz signed him to a partial. Then, after his stuff was packed and ONE day before he was set to leave for Missoula, he was called and told he didn't have the required 14 and couldn't come to UM.

But you are right Patyon, there are always guys who don't pan out and this recruiting class will likely be no different. A few head scratchers from the 08 class though, Buckles, Hunt and Debruckyer. Some of the others , lebeau, lipski and cummings left for fairly valid reasons. i think bauer did play one season, which brings up an interesting point, it's amazing how many players just up and disappear without a word mentioned.

What happened to Tyzer? I recall him not panning out pretty much right away. I seem to recall him running track? Maybe I am wrong.

Cady indeed transfered to Carroll and I would consider Opperud and Jabin to be standouts. There are certainly more but those two are top-shelf players in my opinion.

papa bear helena said:
Cady indeed transfered to Carroll and I would consider Opperud and Jabin to be standouts. There are certainly more but those two are top-shelf players in my opinion.

I think this year will determine if they are stars... so far they are above average, with a chance to shine.

Hunt & Cady ended up at Carroll, Finneman at Northern Montana, Homec went the JC route & just transferred back to MSU two weeks ago, Douglass & Von Appen were involved in the fight outside the dorm a few years ago, Kessman went AWOL, Beecher went the JC route and played at Snow College in Ephraim, UT.

If Burton keeps improving like he did last year, he should be above average also.

Almost all recruiting classes have about a 50% level of significant contribution from its players in that class. This class is a perfect example of what an average recruiting class looks like 2-3 years later. All coaches understand that recruiting is an inexact science, even at the 4-5-star player level.

With that said, you still have to start a discussion about recruiting with the players who are rated highest by the recruiting serves, and by how many schools offer scholarships to the players you are recruiting, as a measure of your relative success in comparing classes to competitive schools. For every Colt Anderson and Marc Mariani, not even offered schollies, your odds are still much better in landing a stud player if several other school want his services out of high school.

If recruiting rankings and expectations meant anything, Texas would have won the last ten national championships.

I'd say that's a pretty good recruiting class just at first glance. Sambrano, and TJ are two legitimate stars on the team on offense and defense. Kemp is an unknown quantity at quarterback as he is just coming into what would be considered most qb's time to shine. Burton and Hardy are both solid players that are poised to take their game to the next level and several others are intricate components of our team that may still become all-conference players once they find their footing with the new coaching staff. I don't think that any coach is naive enough to think they are going to recruit 15-20 all-americans every season, they try to get as many gems as they can and fill out the roster with quality roll player type guys and hope for the best.

dub-foncy said:
TJ is a superstar.

Oppy, Jabin, and McSurdy are stand outs.

Burton, Shaw, Hardy, and Mccord are serviceable starters, but nothing really special. Hardy has the most upside of the group.

The rest, well, Kemp has the most promise out of the rest, but hasn't seen the field much, this is his year make his mark.

After watching Moore's HS highlights, if you would have told me he would only be our best special teams player at this point, I would have called you a Kansas City #@&&*^. We could have used him down the stretch to block for Chase. What a shitty season.

Another worth mentioning:
Defensive end Josh Harris was hurt in pre-season, but showed tremendous promise during 2009 games and was set to be DE starter. IMO, Harris had the potential to be all-BSC performer in 2010 given on his performance in 2009 and progress in 2010. I hope he gets the achilles rehabilitated and is back 100%.

Oppy was getting replaced by a freshman cuz he couldn't block the wind. His injury was very telling. Burton is out of position, he'd be an outstanding drive-blocking guard. :dead:

Latest posts

Back