• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Washington Redskins are reviewing name of team.

UncleRico said:
Dutch Lane said:
Washington Alternating Currents Football Club, does have an awkward ring to it. Lol :thumb:

Odds in Vegas have Redtails 3/1 plus "Other names with short odds include Capitols (9/1) and Americans, Memorials, and Monuments (10/1). One online book is also looking to capitalize on some easy money by offering Snowflakes and Trumps, each at 500/1. "

Do you recall the old basketball Washington Generals they were the white traveling team in the 70-80s who would lose every game to the globe trotters? One of the generals played with my older brother in college. Guy was a scoring machine, not quite nba material so traveled around the world with the trotters. I met him once in Santa Monica when he needed a couch to stay on at my brothers apartment because the generals paid them next to nothing per denim. Lol he did it for 5 years and went around the world played like 300 games a year.

So yeah that name has some bad juju associated with it. But it’s probably the strongest most patriotic name. The Washington Generals Football Club. I kinda like the monuments too. But Gotta be the Red Tail Angels. :thumb:

kemajic said:
But the monuments are coming down.....

I’m thinking the thousands of confederate participation trophies/statutes are coming down first. Kem did you sleep through the 60’s or something, wasn’t your generation the protest generation? The 80s sucked for student protests. Lol

Dutch Lane said:
UncleRico said:
Odds in Vegas have Redtails 3/1 plus "Other names with short odds include Capitols (9/1) and Americans, Memorials, and Monuments (10/1). One online book is also looking to capitalize on some easy money by offering Snowflakes and Trumps, each at 500/1. "

Do you recall the old basketball Washington Generals they were the white traveling team in the 70-80s who would lose every game to the globe trotters? One of the generals played with my older brother in college. Guy was a scoring machine, not quite nba material so traveled around the world with the trotters. I met him once in Santa Monica when he needed a couch to stay on at my brothers apartment because the generals paid them next to nothing per denim. Lol he did it for 5 years and went around the world played like 300 games a year.

So yeah that name has some bad juju associated with it. But it’s probably the strongest most patriotic name. The Washington Generals Football Club. I kinda like the monuments too. But Gotta be the Red Tail Angels. :thumb:
It is interesting how team name changes or don't. The Washington Bullets changed to the Wizards because of the violence engulfing DC at the time. So political. And you know what? People survived and moved on. It is something to talk about now that we don't have any sports to watch but when this all ends and games are being played it won't even matter. If it did matter then people would still be questioning why Utah has a Jazz team and LA has the Lakers. Cuz there ain't no Jazz coming outta Utah and there are no lakes in LA. Or Grizzlies in Memphis as far as that goes. The Redskin name was going to go at some point. Almost all colleges (Miami of Ohio for example) and high schools (Red Lodge for example) already changed it. But I never thought it would be this swift. But these are unusual times we are living through for sure.

UncleRico said:
Dutch Lane said:

It is interesting how team name changes or don't. The Washington Bullets changed to the Wizards because of the violence engulfing DC at the time. So political. And you know what? People survived and moved on. It is something to talk about now that we don't have any sports to watch but when this all ends and games are being played it won't even matter. If it did matter then people would still be questioning why Utah has a Jazz team and LA has the Lakers. Cuz there ain't no Jazz coming outta Utah and there are no lakes in LA. Or Grizzlies in Memphis as far as that goes. The Redskin name was going to go at some point. Almost all colleges (Miami of Ohio for example) and high schools (Red Lodge for example) already changed it. But I never thought it would be this swift. But these are unusual times we are living through for sure.

Uncle Rico, there is someone speaking quite loudly by his absence in this useless discussion about America's cesspools "team." As all of this happened shortly after his Hall of Fame career playing for the Greenies or whatever argh! calls him, I thought you ought to recall some of this:

https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/2018/5/31/590538.aspx

When did Stanford change their nickname? One would assume about the same time said unnamed frequent poster was in law school?

https://nacc.stanford.edu/about-nacc/history-timelines/stanford-mascot-timeline/removal-indian-mascot-stanford

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
UncleRico said:

Uncle Rico, there is someone speaking quite loudly by his absence in this useless discussion about America's cesspools "team." As all of this happened shortly after his Hall of Fame career playing for the Greenies or whatever argh! calls him, I thought you ought to recall some of this:

When did Stanford change their nickname? One would assume about the same time said unnamed frequent poster was in law school?

https://nacc.stanford.edu/about-nacc/history-timelines/stanford-mascot-timeline/removal-indian-mascot-stanford
Please noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Take it to the Taboo thread, pontificate with this unidentified loud speaker over there, please refrain from the further derailing of this thread. Thank you from Washington football fans everywhere.

Dutch Lane said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Please noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Take it to the Taboo thread, pontificate with this unidentified loud speaker over there, please refrain from the further derailing of this thread. Thank you from Washington football fans everywhere.

You mean you don't like someone changing the dialogue as you insist on doing? Everything is anti this and anti that? Did it ever occur to you that there are folks all over the U.S. who cringe at the very thought of Washington, D.C? D.C. doesn't deserve a professional sports team anymore than they should become a state with voting congress people. The swamp needs drained.

Can't stand the thought that the one who first identified your lack of understanding was instrumental in change probably before you were born?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
UncleRico said:

I forgot about those! Marquette also changed away from Warriors.

UncleRico said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Many years ago, Lodge Grass was the Tiger Indians. That's a topic not discussed by Gordon, among others there for some reason. In fact, that nickname is why their school colors are black and orange. I miss Belfry having a high school...

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Many years ago, Lodge Grass was the Tiger Indians. That's a topic not discussed by Gordon, among others there for some reason. In fact, that nickname is why their school colors are black and orange. I miss Belfry having a high school...

That is interesting. Gordon could have called them whatever he wanted :)

UncleRico said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Spartans and Vikings were warriors. What is Hawaii's latest? A Rainbow warrior is still a warrior.

UncleRico said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Yes he could have! There's a lot of discussions going on in Hotlanta right now over both the Braves nickname and the Tomahawk Chop. You can read the articles in the Journal-Constitution.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
UncleRico said:

Yes he could have! There's a lot of discussions going on in Hotlanta right now over both the Braves nickname and the Tomahawk Chop. You can read the articles in the Journal-Constitution.
Are they still doing it? I was down and went to a Cubs-Braves game 4 to 5 years ago and I don't remember if they did it during game.

UncleRico said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Are they still doing it? I was down and went to a Cubs-Braves game 4 to 5 years ago and I don't remember if they did it during game.

I must confess I haven't been back since Chipper's last year. Here's an article about it.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/braves-name-chop-are-complex-and-personal-issues-for-native-americans/IcoUJUcvhpmcVr54PkNBmL/

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
UncleRico said:

I must confess I haven't been back since Chipper's last year. Here's an article about it.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/braves-name-chop-are-complex-and-personal-issues-for-native-americans/IcoUJUcvhpmcVr54PkNBmL/
Looks like the Braves are doing all they can to navigate this minefield. Florida State has done a great job working with the Seminole tribe. It would have been fun to watch the Braves live back when they had that killer pitching staff. With Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and a few other studs they added might have been the one of best starting rotations ever. I loved watching Maddox pitch. He never over powered anyone. He was art watching him.

UncleRico said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Looks like the Braves are doing all they can to navigate this minefield. Florida State has done a great job working with the Seminole tribe. It would have been fun to watch the Braves live back when they had that killer pitching staff. With Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and a few other studs they added might have been the one of best starting rotations ever. I loved watching Maddox pitch. He never over powered anyone. He was art watching him.
Schuerholz probably the best general manager ever. Ted made a wise choice there, although I believe Beau convinced him to do that hire. I also got to give colleagues crap about where I went to college when Glanville took the Falcons to the Super Bowl because it was a pain in the ass putting up with all the shit on the staffs I worked with because they didn't consider the left coast offense real football nor did they have much respect for the coaches themself...anyway...

I was very lucky in that I had no choice but to pack my bags and leave the state of Montana as I was beginning my career(s). I went to Georgia when I could take my kids to watch Murphy and Hubbard along with 300 of my closest friends. Could sit anywhere. Got to see them go from worst to first. Feel bad that I've not seen a game in Cobb County yet...and may never because the Rockies are so close and once in a while a good team will be in town to make Black look like an ass. So damn close to Montana yet every year the miles get tougher to drive.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
UncleRico said:
Schuerholz probably the best general manager ever. Ted made a wise choice there, although I believe Beau convinced him to do that hire. I also got to give colleagues crap about where I went to college when Glanville took the Falcons to the Super Bowl because it was a pain in the ass putting up with all the shit on the staffs I worked with because they didn't consider the left coast offense real football nor did they have much respect for the coaches themself...anyway...

I was very lucky in that I had no choice but to pack my bags and leave the state of Montana as I was beginning my career(s). I went to Georgia when I could take my kids to watch Murphy and Hubbard along with 300 of my closest friends. Could sit anywhere. Got to see them go from worst to first. Feel bad that I've not seen a game in Cobb County yet...and may never because the Rockies are so close and once in a while a good team will be in town to make Black look like an ass. So damn close to Montana yet every year the miles get tougher to drive.
I do enjoy the Rockies games too. That stadium has done wonders to downtown Denver. The Braves game I last went was still at Turner Field and they were building new one. Turner Field was still in pretty good shape and I wasn't quite sure why the need for a new one. I love life baseball..usually on a nice summer night. Television does not do the sport justice. Even though when they try to come back next week I will be watching on TV. I am missing Pioneer League this summer and I hope they can salvage the league in some form. I was talking with a buddy that has some inside sources the other night and he feels the league probably will come back as an independent league without being affilated with MLB.

UncleRico said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

I do enjoy the Rockies games too. That stadium has done wonders to downtown Denver. The Braves game I last went was still at Turner Field and they were building new one. Turner Field was still in pretty good shape and I wasn't quite sure why the need for a new one. I love life baseball..usually on a nice summer night. Television does not do the sport justice. Even though when they try to come back next week I will be watching on TV. I am missing Pioneer League this summer and I hope they can salvage the league in some form. I was talking with a buddy that has some inside sources the other night and he feels the league probably will come back as an independent league without being affilated with MLB.

According to my father-in-law (ex but still pretty close to the family), almost all of their tickets sold were to Cobb, Cherokee and north Fulton County residents so it made sense to move out of downtown. Georgia State got a pretty nice stadium out of the paper shuffle. The virus is killing Cobb County though.

When I was younger, I got to see George Brett and Jack Clark play in Billings. Brett was introduced as "Ken Brett's little brother." and Clark batted six times: three homers and three strikouts. I much prefer, as a spectator, going to a baseball game to just about any other. Sit back, shoot the shit, go to the various food and drink facilities and Hayter's is only a couple blocks from Coors Field for after the game. Probably more spectators watching Cat-Griz in Denver establishments than at the game.

...a profile of don trump...
...call them the orange skins...
...not to be racist against orange...

... :shock: ...

Back