• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Visiting Glacier - Need ideas

PhxGriz

DONOR
As I am from Montana, I just got asked by a friend in Michigan what must see sites along the way and in Glacier they should stop for.

I've been gone so long I couldn't remember if I tried.

Hoping some on the board would please recommend a few that I may pass along.

Thank you.

My sister and my cousin both work in Glacier. Currently, East Glacier and St. Mary’s are closed and will not open this season. My sister was working by Apgar today and said the park was closed for awhile because all parking spaces were occupied. The last I heard was Going to the Sun was not open yet but will be open soon. Traffic can go over from west to east but will have to turn around and go back over Going to the Sun.

griz98 said:
My sister and my cousin both work in Glacier. Currently, East Glacier and St. Mary’s are closed and will not open this season. My sister was working by Apgar today and said the park was closed for awhile because all parking spaces were occupied. The last I heard was Going to the Sun was not open yet but will be open soon. Traffic can go over from west to east but will have to turn around and go back over Going to the Sun.

Thank you for that information.

The east side will be basically closed.all year. The west side will be extremely crowded and they are limiting the number of vehicles so you will have to get there really early. The best bet might be to go up the road on the west side to Polebridge and Bowman and Kitna lakes. Whitefish is a nice place to spend the night. Check out the Bulldog Bar for garlic burgers and Coldsmoke on tap. We are currently at our cabin in the beautiful Swan Valley which hasn’t been bad so far but may fill up for the 4th. Probably less people here than in Glacier or Flathead Valley.

cclarkblues said:
The east side will be basically closed.all year. The west side will be extremely crowded and they are limiting the number of vehicles so you will have to get there really early. The best bet might be to go up the road on the west side to Polebridge and Bowman and Kitna lakes. Whitefish is a nice place to spend the night. Check out the Bulldog Bar for garlic burgers and Coldsmoke on tap. We are currently at our cabin in the beautiful Swan Valley which hasn’t been bad so far but may fill up for the 4th. Probably less people here than in Glacier or Flathead Valley.

Thank you for the information. I can't imagine anything worse than driving from Indiana to visit Glacier and it's so packed you don't get to see it very well.

Back