• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Should R Hauck be benched?

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Zirg said:
He's a freshman. He'll learn from his mistakes. We played Hermanson for 4 years (it seems) and he never impressed me or got better. He'd get a cpl INT's on terrible over-throws and got credit for 100+ tackles 3 straight yrs, so most ppl thought he was good, but he was terrible,IMO. Any starting safety is gonna rack up tackle numbers by default (especially now that 2 tacklers are credited on almost every play), but how many yards after the tackle do they allow? Robbie will never be as good as his uncle (who is?), but he shows promise and I can forgive a positional mistake from a frosh. I've yet to see anyone run him over like happened to Hermanson a cpl times every game.

When two tacklers are credited, they're each only credited with 1/2 a tackle....they're not inflating tackle numbers.

Not correct. Yes, for sacks and TFL's, but not for tackles. Assisted tackles get 1 full credit. Last game, Olson had 5 solo and 6 assisted, for 11 tackles.
any guess on why they do it that way? i mean treating sacks and even tackles for a loss basically "less" than other tackles?

It's pretty murky business. Really "tackle" stats have very few guidelines for declaring the stat. Basically how it works, if the play is behind the LOS (sack or TFL) then the influence of that play is larger and the stat is more important to player profile. So they split that play in UP TO 2 players. You don't have .25 or .33. While regular tackles (past LOS) are tackles that are often less important and tougher to define. Often plays have 3-4-5 tacklers in on the play. So unless a play is clearly ended by one player...the statistician will give credit to all players influencing the tackle. This usally favors safety players, as they are expected to close on most plays and are in plays often. The NCAA and even the NFL have no actual guide for a statistician and different stadiums record differently than others. tackles is actually not a very credible stat.

mtgrizfankb said:
ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
When two tacklers are credited, they're each only credited with 1/2 a tackle....they're not inflating tackle numbers.

Not correct. Yes, for sacks and TFL's, but not for tackles. Assisted tackles get 1 full credit. Last game, Olson had 5 solo and 6 assisted, for 11 tackles.
any guess on why they do it that way? i mean treating sacks and even tackles for a loss basically "less" than other tackles?

It's pretty murky business. Really "tackle" stats have very few guidelines for declaring the stat. Basically how it works, if the play is behind the LOS (sack or TFL) then the influence of that play is larger and the stat is more important to player profile. So they split that play in UP TO 2 players. You don't have .25 or .33. While regular tackles (past LOS) are tackles that are often less important and tougher to define. Often plays have 3-4-5 tacklers in on the play. So unless a play is clearly ended by one player...the statistician will give credit to all players influencing the tackle. This usally favors safety players, as they are expected to close on most plays and are in plays often. The NCAA and even the NFL have no actual guide for a statistician and different stadiums record differently than others. tackles is actually not a very credible stat.

thanks! honestly never anything I've thought about.

ilovethecats said:
mtgrizfankb said:
ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

thanks! honestly never anything I've thought about.

Me either, and I had zero idea that sacks/TFL's were treated any differently. Learn something new every day.

GlacierGrizX said:
Why was this thread moved here? This had some of the most football insight I have seen on EGriz in a while?

This type of insightful football talk just gums up the main board. :|

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Zirg said:
He's a freshman. He'll learn from his mistakes. We played Hermanson for 4 years (it seems) and he never impressed me or got better. He'd get a cpl INT's on terrible over-throws and got credit for 100+ tackles 3 straight yrs, so most ppl thought he was good, but he was terrible,IMO. Any starting safety is gonna rack up tackle numbers by default (especially now that 2 tacklers are credited on almost every play), but how many yards after the tackle do they allow? Robbie will never be as good as his uncle (who is?), but he shows promise and I can forgive a positional mistake from a frosh. I've yet to see anyone run him over like happened to Hermanson a cpl times every game.

Thank you PR. Sacks get divided in half, but 2 tackles are credited for almost every play these days. Fact!

uofmman1122 said:
Montanabob said:
uofmman1122 said:
Yeah, let’s shelf the dude for the season who tied for the most tackles in the WIU game and had 8 solo stops.

Yeah, that's the problem. 8 solo tackles means 9 other people screwed up.
So now it’s Robby’s fault they messed up?

Also, don’t you mean 10?
No Robby fault, rest of team except safety makes 9.

Back