• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

St. Thomas Tommies game thread

Griz til I die

DONOR
Alright, happy cat-Griz week everyone! Hope you're all looking forward to the big game on Saturday, but in the meantime, we got some hoops and 3 very respectable programs coming to town for the 2nd annual Zootown Classic. Here is tonight's slate:

5:00 - Merrimack vs. Troy. Troy is off to a fantastic start at 3-0 with a road win over Florida State (who's now lost to 2 mid majors at home, Troy, Stetson). I expect the Trojans to roll in this game as Merrimcak has had their struggles to open the season. I'd be interested to hear how that game goes for those of you who plan to attend.

7:30 - Montana vs. St. Thomas. The Tommies have looked impressive so far taking top 10 Creighton to the wire in their opening night game. I believe the Griz are gonna pull it out on their home floor. I'm expecting this to be a tougher game than I originally thought, but I do think we're gonna win.

Also shoutout to the Tommies athletic department. In only their 2nd year in D1, I believe they're gonna find themselves in the mix for the Summit League regular season title, and if the Tommies Football program were eligible for the FCS playoffs, they'd be in this year with the Pioneer League auto bid, and actually cracked into the top 25 this week.

Should be a fun night of hoops!

Mavman said:
Both games on espn+
Troy looks good (up by 14)
Wow..UM is not looking very good. I understand the many empty seats. This team looks exactly like last year and the year before and before that. Hopefully, they can figure it out. They are going to win this one probably but it is a long season with far better competition to come.

Dribble dribble dribble, pass, dribble dribble dribble. Shoot with 2 seconds left in the shot clock. Boring!

My observations:

1. Monster, monster game by Bannan. 21/17/6 likely can’t be duplicated, but scary because more games like this makes Australian pro money hard to turn down next year.
2. Moody scoring 15 points with basically no other stats positive or negative. Shooting is his role. Let him shoot.
3. Winning a game by this margin in a game that DT scored 2 points is impressive.
4. Bench scoring: Vasquez 9; Ole 3. Nap 0, Anderson 0, Brown 2 in a blowout. Is this a championship level bench?
5. Very few posts after a decisive win. Has apathy set in amongst the fan base?

GrizBall said:
is
My observations:

1. Monster, monster game by Bannan. 21/17/6 likely can’t be duplicated, but scary because more games like this makes Australian pro money hard to turn down next year.

These are Biblical numbers. Since 2010 (as far as the basketball reference database goes back) only 4 other players have had a 23+p/17r+|6+ game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=2011&year_max=2023&game_type=A&is_range=N&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_c=Y&c1stat=pts&c1comp=gt&c1val=27&c2stat=trb&c2comp=gt&c2val=17&c3stat=ast&c3comp=gt&c3val=6&c4comp=gt&order_by=pts

GrizBall said:
My observations:

2. Moody scoring 15 points with basically no other stats positive or negative. Shooting is his role. Let him shoot.
3. Winning a game by this margin in a game that DT scored 2 points is impressive.
4. Bench scoring: Vasquez 9; Ole 3. Nap 0, Anderson 0, Brown 2 in a blowout. Is this a championship level bench?
5. Very few posts after a decisive win. Has apathy set in amongst the fan base?
It’s cat week. That’s where all the attention is.

mthoopsfan said:
Why were there so few people at the game? The Stats say 2660. It didn't look like that many on espn+.

The crowd was indeed sparse. Reasons probably are: real crappy cold weather, game could be viewed on espn+, people on their way to Bozeman, an unexciting start to the Griz for the season, poor pre-tourney advertising, fairly unknown teams in the tourney.

But the loyal true fans were there.

Why weren't you?

Good win for the Griz. Someone mentioned the Tommy’s gave Creighton a run for their money. Is something wrong with Mack Anderson he doesn’t seem to be scoring at all? I haven’t got to watch many games.

maroonandsilver said:
mthoopsfan said:
Why were there so few people at the game? The Stats say 2660. It didn't look like that many on espn+.

The crowd was indeed sparse. Reasons probably are: real crappy cold weather, game could be viewed on espn+, people on their way to Bozeman, an unexciting start to the Griz for the season, poor pre-tourney advertising, fairly unknown teams in the tourney.

Why weren't you?

After I gave up my LG tiks because of actions by the new coach, I later gave up my men’s tickets. I follow Dartmouth and Cam Krystkoviak. I am in Arizona enjoying 72, clear and sunny, and the pool. Will be at Dukes tomorrow. With Andrew Swink and Mike McCord.

mthoopsfan said:
maroonandsilver said:

Why weren't you?

After I gave up my LG tiks because of actions by the new coach, I later gave up my men’s tickets. I follow Dartmouth and Cam Krystkoviak. I am in Arizona enjoying 72, clear and sunny, and the pool. Will be at Dukes tomorrow. With Andrew Swink and Mike McCord.

If you are no longer a fan, maybe you need to change your screen name, once again. :cool:

maroonandsilver said:
mthoopsfan said:

If you are no longer a fan, maybe you need to change your screen name, once again. :cool:

It's part of my disguise. And I follow the Culbertson Cowboys and Bozeman Hawks. They are in MT. And Battle. And the Griz men. Just gave up my women's and men's tickets and directed financial support elsewhere. It was nice to see the LG get a win over the NAIA school.

HookedonGriz said:
Good win for the Griz. Someone mentioned the Tommy’s gave Creighton a run for their money. Is something wrong with Mack Anderson he doesn’t seem to be scoring at all? I haven’t got to watch many games.

I agree that the Tommies were surprisingly solid for a new D1 program and yes there is a lot wrong with Mack Anderson. There always has been. He has zero offensive ability besides dunking, he can't rebound worth a crap, he can't defend without fouling. He's a liability whenever he's on the court. This has been the case for 6? years now.

Back