• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

RaeQuan Battle of the Cats

mthoopsfan

I Iike and follow him because he's a very talented Native American, who transferred to MSU after playing at UW. He played well and was a big scorer for the Cats last season, after early/mid-January. Came off the bench but played good minutes.

In the last game against Long Beach St., he had 24 and held the top LBS perimeter player (I believe) to zero points, in 37 minutes. (I think the next most minutes was 23.)

"Battle’s Big Night, Three-Point Shooting Gives Bobcats First Win"

"In particular, RaeQuan Battle went 3-for-3 from distance in the first four minutes, which helped him lead the game with 24 points."

"Montana State kept its foot on the gas pedal. Battle threw down a dunk off an inbounds play,"

""His motor was at another level," Sprinkle said. "He's so athletic and talented that when he plays like that, he's so hard to guard. I'm so proud of him for taking the right shots at the right time, which is the next progression for him in order to be a tremendous player. I'm more proud of how he defended by holding Jadon Jones to zero points tonight."

"Battle drew back-to-back fouls from LBSU and sank all four free-throws to give him his first career 20-point game with 9:35 to go." [He was 6-6 from the line.]

"the Bobcats got back on the board with a cleanup dunk from Battle, a jumper from Robert Ford III and then another basket from Battle, who was the hot hand throughout the second half."

https://msubobcats.com/news/2022/11/13/mens-basketball-battles-big-night-three-point-shooting-give-bobcats-first-win.aspx

Against Oregon a couple days ago, where the Cats lost 81-51, Battle scored 20 on 8-17 shooting. 31 minutes. Belo must have gotten into early foul trouble. Played only 12 minutes, didn't score, no rebounds, 4 TO and 4 fouls. The 2d leading scorer had 7 points.

Cats beat ND 81-71. Battle had 30. 12-20. 2-5. 4-4. 4 rebounds. No TO. 36 minutes.

"Nine-straight points from RaeQuan Battle made it a 12-11 game in favor of North Dakota at the 14:46 mark."

UncleRico said:
mthoopsfan said:
Most everyone cares. At this very early point, he's on track to be the conference MVP. Long way to go, tho.

He is a very good player. The Cats were fortunate to land him.

One would think that mthoopsfan, with his esteemed connection to both the Griz athletic program, and the Indian community, would have delivered him to the Griz. :?

"Battle’s Game-Winner Lifts Bobcats Past Thunderbirds"

"RaeQuan Battle has already had his fair share of clutch moments, so it was no surprise he delivered again for the Montana State men's basketball team against Southern Utah on Wednesday night.

With seven seconds left and the game tied at 83, Southern Utah's Deng Dut tried making a cross-court pass with Battle defending him, but the 6'5" junior stole the ball, raced down court and finished a right-handed layup through contact with four seconds to go. His free throw closed the book on Montana State's 86-83 road win.

"RaeQuan was unbelievable," Montana State head coach Danny Sprinkle told Bobcat Sports Radio Network. "Some of the shots he was making in the second half were unbelievable. I told him after the game that what he did tonight was unbelievable, but that's who he is."

"Battle would lead all scorers with 29 points — including a career-best 7-for-11 clip from three — plus two rebounds, two blocks and two steals. Darius Brown II finished with 17 points on 6-for-10 shooting (and a perfect 3-for-3 from three) while dishing out five assists and grabbing five rebounds. As a team, the Bobcats shot a season-best 54.2% (13-for-16) from three and they out-rebounded the Thunderbirds by a 35-32 margin."

"Trailing 71-67 with five minutes left, Battle came alive with back-to-back threes. Although SUU threatened to pull away late, MSU tied the game at 76 with a layup from Fuller, then Battle tied it at 79 with 2:19 to go. Battle's jumper gave MSU a 83-81 advantage,
then the Thunderbirds responded with Jason Spurgin's layup that tied the game at 83 with 46 seconds to go."

https://msubobcats.com/news/2022/11/30/mens-basketball-battles-game-winner-lifts-bobcats-past-thunderbirds.aspx

Battle ended up first team all-conference (unanimous pick) and Conference Tourney MVP. He averaged 17.4 for the season. Shot 47% and 84% from the line. He's a good defender. He's very coachable. He's a great kid, according to a Cat assistant I know. Battle is being mentioned as a possible NBA player.

When Battle was signed by Cats, I said Battle was going to be a great/top player for the Cats and in the conference. Certain posters, like UMFan12, said stuff like this:

"The Battle signing is Sprinkle taking a gamble on a talented guy they hope they can get under control. What better year to do it when you can have some seniors take an extra year and then if Battle doesn’t work out, it won’t be the end of the world. I’m glad we didn’t sign Battle, as I think that so many better options are out there for a young team like ours building chemistry than a guy who shoots as much as Battle. It makes way more sense for the Cats, but it still is a gamble."

"You seriously don’t see anyyyy red flags? None? 25%? Rez ball?"

"Yes for sure, guys change their games and attitudes all the time. However, some players just aren’t willing to be coach able for whatever reason, and that seemed to be Battle at UW. Battle was not exclusive in this, as it was a total poop show, but regardless of how well Sprinkle coaches(I personally think he is already a top 3 coach in the league) this all lies on Battle and if he is willing to change his attitude. Looking at the situation at MSU, with this likely being the best year for MSU hoops in quite a while, having the leadership of the 5th year seniors, I think it’s a good move. That being said, I also don’t think anybody should ignore the possibility it doesn’t work.(PR)"

Battle played big minutes a year ago, although he came off the bench. After early January, he was either the 2d or 3d leading scorer for the Cats. He was 6th man of the year of the conference, perhaps co. Sprinkle often praises him in the press. Battle scored the winning basket against Weber, after a TO, in which Sprinkle called a play for him.

mthoopsfan said:
Battle ended up first team all-conference (unanimous pick) and Conference Tourney MVP. He averaged 17.4 for the season. Shot 47% and 84% from the line. He's a good defender. He's very coachable. He's a great kid, according to a Cat assistant I know. Battle is being mentioned as a possible NBA player.

When Battle was signed by Cats, I said Battle was going to be a great/top player for the Cats and in the conference. Certain posters, like UMFan12, said stuff like this:

"The Battle signing is Sprinkle taking a gamble on a talented guy they hope they can get under control. What better year to do it when you can have some seniors take an extra year and then if Battle doesn’t work out, it won’t be the end of the world. I’m glad we didn’t sign Battle, as I think that so many better options are out there for a young team like ours building chemistry than a guy who shoots as much as Battle. It makes way more sense for the Cats, but it still is a gamble."

"Yes for sure, guys change their games and attitudes all the time. However, some players just aren’t willing to be coach able for whatever reason, and that seemed to be Battle at UW. Battle was not exclusive in this, as it was a total poop show, but regardless of how well Sprinkle coaches(I personally think he is already a top 3 coach in the league) this all lies on Battle and if he is willing to change his attitude. Looking at the situation at MSU, with this likely being the best year for MSU hoops in quite a while, having the leadership of the 5th year seniors, I think it’s a good move. That being said, I also don’t think anybody should ignore the possibility it doesn’t work.(PR)"

Battle played big minutes a year ago, although he came off the bench. After early January, he was either the 2d or 3d leading scorer for the Cats. He was 6th man of the year of the conference, perhaps co. Sprinkle often praises him in the press. Battle scored the winning basket against Weber, after a TO, in which Sprinkle called a play for him.

Possible NBA player? He’s yet to have a positive AST-TO ratio. Has yet to shoot over 35% for 3. He’s a 6’5 2 guard who isn’t a great shooter or a good playmaker. 0 shot. It was a gamble, and it paid off. In the position both teams were in at the time, it made more sense for the Cats than it did for us. Remember? This was before we fell off the cliff, we had an entire roster of young, promising guards who needed the ball in their hands. And, he would not have had the same success in a slow paced no transition style of play the Griz play. He makes way more sense, and always has for the Cats, than he does the Griz. Basketball is not ever black and white. This was supposed to be a gotcha, but everything in that statement was true then and is true now. He bought in, it paid off. Credit to the kid, just makes UW look all that much worse.

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

Possible NBA player? He’s yet to have a positive AST-TO ratio. Has yet to shoot over 35% for 3. He’s a 6’5 2 guard who isn’t a great shooter or a good playmaker. 0 shot. It was a gamble, and it paid off. In the position both teams were in at the time, it made more sense for the Cats than it did for us. Remember? This was before we fell off the cliff, we had an entire roster of young, promising guards who needed the ball in their hands. And, he would not have had the same success in a slow paced no transition style of play the Griz play. He makes way more sense, and always has for the Cats, than he does the Griz. Basketball is not ever black and white. This was supposed to be a gotcha, but everything in that statement was true then and is true now. He bought in, it paid off. Credit to the kid, just makes UW look all that much worse.

Multiple people have said he is an NBA prospect including Cravens. He shoots a very high percentage overall. He will likely become a very good 3 Pt shooter. His TOs come from going to the hoop. He doesn’t get assists because he doesn’t have his hands on the ball much. He is used off the ball and waits for his opportunities.

From the UW coach. "His potential is limitless."

“ Battle saw his minutes increase last season after the Huskies lost starting point guard Quade Green to academic ineligibility, but the freshman sharp-shooter’s time on the floor was less consistent than that of freshman guard Marcus Tsohonis. Battle appeared in 20 games, starting three. His best stretch came from Jan. 25 to Feb. 1 when he averaged 12 points per game in losses to Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State. He made nine threes during that period, including four each against Colorado and Arizona.

In discussing Battle, Huskies head coach Mike Hopkins talked about what he needs to work on heading into next season.

“He needs to get his body right. Obviously, shot selection,” Hopkins said. “The thing what makes him great is, he’s got what great players have. They have ultimate confidence. I believe that he thinks if he took a half-court shot, it’s going in. … I wish I had that as a player. That’s great.”

Battle’s minutes fluctuated plenty last season — two games after playing a season-high 32 minutes against the Buffaloes, he played just 1 against Washington State — and Hopkins often referenced to his need to improve defensively.

“I think at the end of the day, he had some incredible moments as a freshman. His ability to shoot the ball and and not only to shoot the ball, he’s got a quick release. He gets it up quickly, like you can’t guard it. Now, it goes back to his body needs to get better, strength and conditioning,” Hopkins said. “I thought he was a much-improved defensive player. The one thing that people don’t know about RaeQuan: RaeQuan can fly. Like he can really jump. … His future is on a different level. His potential is just limitless. … When you’re a great shooter, that helps other guys because guys are going to be flying at you. So, how do you use your pump fake? How do you use those types of things? That just goes back to studying and experience and learning.”

"Late blooming shooting guard with good size and length. Very good athlete who uses his physical tools on both ends. Plus shooter who can knock down shots off the bounce. Handle needs work but thrives in transition due to athleticism and finishing ability. Versatile defender with high upside on that end due to his size, length and athleticism. Improving handle and midrange game will be big as he continues to gain strength. Has NBA upside given shot-making ability with his size, length and athleticism."

https://247sports.com/Player/RaeQuan-Battle-46055772/

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:

Multiple people have said he is an NBA prospect including Cravens. He shoots a very high percentage overall. He will likely become a very good 3 Pt shooter. His TOs come from going to the hoop. He doesn’t get assists because he doesn’t have his hands on the ball much. He is used off the ball and waits for his opportunities.
With the 3 he’s a borderline guy. But you don’t just easily develop a 3. A lot of people on this board continually underestimate how hard it is to get to the league. As a 6’5 guard, you’re going to need to be able to defend at an elite level(not elite for Big Sky, elite for anywhere), and shoot the 3 at an elite level. He’s not going to be a star player in the league. And when filling out roster spots, teams look for exactly those things in wings. Everybody at an nba level is athletic to an extent. If not, they’re a big 6’8 wing who can bring it up the floor. That’s the modern NBA. If it were my guess, he gets a summer league look, doesn’t make a regular season roster. Only guys from the sky to have extended league stays have been Stucky and Lillard. He’s not on their level.

Will not be on a single mock draft. Let’s put things in perspective here. Julian Strawther for Gonzaga. Can create for himself. Can play on or off ball. Multiple years of development and plays on one of the better teams in the nation. Much better shooter both off the catch and dribble. Bigger, has legit NBA size at 6-7 210, 6-10 wingspan. Averages 16-6 on 48/42 splits(elite 3 point shooter).But, much like Battle, struggles with consistency. And, he could potentially be back next year and is 2nd round material. That’s the bar. That’s what a fringe nba level player looks like.

mthoopsfan said:
"Late blooming shooting guard with good size and length. Very good athlete who uses his physical tools on both ends. Plus shooter who can knock down shots off the bounce. Handle needs work but thrives in transition due to athleticism and finishing ability. Versatile defender with high upside on that end due to his size, length and athleticism. Improving handle and midrange game will be big as he continues to gain strength. Has NBA upside given shot-making ability with his size, length and athleticism."

Report is from 2018. Please man

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

Report is from 2018. Please man

Quit muddling up PR’s agenda. Jokes aside I’m with PR on Battle being a legit BSC player. I was upset when the scats signed him cus I had a feeling he’d be great for them. Most likely a front runner for league MVP next year. NBA talent? He’s got another year to develop so we’ll see still but as of now, no.

UMFan12 never played hoops. Says he self-taught himself in recent years. Below is my post on him from 2021. Note the Griz players he said would be great. ["Brown and Egan will be the next Rorie and Oguine."]

Hoops: "12, here is one of your “astute” posts in from Dec 2018. Yours is the second post. Brown and Egun will be the next Rorie and Oguine. Pretty funny. Speaking of low basketball IQ. Ha.

“We will be young but we will have a good team coming, Freddy and Egun are going to be the next Rorie and Oguine (remember when they were FR.) Carter will surprise people and Falls......well he is. I have enjoyed the show for 4 years, I'm going to let it ride and then worry about it.

12: 100% agree with that. I for one think the best is still ahead of us. Owens and Carter-Hollinger are two phenomenal wing recruits, paired with a good 3 point shooter and true point guard in Vazquez, along with young bigs in Anderson, Kramer, and Carter, and a good future guard duo in Egun and Brown. This team is still loaded with potential, even after this group of seniors leaves.”

[Only one of those 5 were on the team this past season, and the one wasn't a starter. No wonder you can't see that Battle is a great player.]

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 never played hoops. Says he self-taught himself in recent years. Below is my post on him from 2021. Note the Griz players he said would be great. ["Brown and Egan will be the next Rorie and Oguine."]

Hoops: "12, here is one of your “astute” posts in from Dec 2018. Yours is the second post. Brown and Egun will be the next Rorie and Oguine. Pretty funny. Speaking of low basketball IQ. Ha.

“We will be young but we will have a good team coming, Freddy and Egun are going to be the next Rorie and Oguine (remember when they were FR.) Carter will surprise people and Falls......well he is. I have enjoyed the show for 4 years, I'm going to let it ride and then worry about it.

12: 100% agree with that. I for one think the best is still ahead of us. Owens and Carter-Hollinger are two phenomenal wing recruits, paired with a good 3 point shooter and true point guard in Vazquez, along with young bigs in Anderson, Kramer, and Carter, and a good future guard duo in Egun and Brown. This team is still loaded with potential, even after this group of seniors leaves.”

[Only one of those 5 were on the team this past season, and the one wasn't a starter. No wonder you can't see that Battle is a great player.]
Lol man. I was 15 when I made that post. Only real evaluation I did was IG mixtapes. I promise you I know more about college basketball than you do now. Nice gotcha though

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

Lol man. I was 15 when I made that post. Only real evaluation I did was IG mixtapes. I promise you I know more about college basketball than you do now. Nice gotcha though

You know very little about basketball. It shows in all of your posts, including ones recently and ones on Battle. You are a joke.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:

You know very little about basketball. It shows in all of your posts, including ones recently and ones on Battle. You are a joke.
Not letting someone who thinks Battle is a legit NBA prospect and used a 5 year old report to prove it tell me what I know or don’t know about basketball.

Back