• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Happy Opening Day!

Griz til I die

DONOR
My favorite time of the year is back! College Basketball is my favorite sport and I cannot wait for a full slate of hoops here on opening night. For you Big Sky Basketball fans, 8 of the 10 Big Sky teams are in action tonight, and all 8 of them play on the road. The Griz will open their season tomorrow, and Portland State will open their season on Friday. Here is tonight's slate and my predictions:

5:00 Idaho @ Denver - Should be a close game in a battle between 2 cellar dwellers in their respective conferences. Give me the Pioneers at home though.
5:00 NAU @ Michigan State - God's speed NAU. Sparty's roll!
6:00 UNC @ #3 Houston - Sure hope it's a big check UNC. Cougs will have this in the bag at halftime.
7:00 MSU @ Grand Canyon - This is going to be the game of the night. 2 Teams that will be near the top of their conferences, and might even win them. I think the cats have a good chance in this one, but I'll take the Lopes at home in a close one. I plan on watching this game and you should too!
7:00 ISU @ BYU - Not sure what to think of BYU this year in their final season in the WCC, but I do know that ISU will be garbage so the Cougs will roll!
8:00 EWU @ Santa Clara - Eastern to me feels like the most mysterious team in the conference with all their one and done players from last year, and more unknowns. Santa Clara won't be near as good this year as they were last year when we faced them, and I think I like Eastern to pull the upset in this one!
9:00 Weber @ Washington - New era for Weber hoops with the retirement of Randy Rahe. Good money game to open with. I don't think they will pull the upset, but I am expecting a very good game.
9:30 Sac @ #8 UCLA - David Patrick will have his hands full in his debut as head coach. I think UCLA is gonna win the PAC 12 this year, no chance for Sac in this one.

I'll give my prediction for the Griz tomorrow! Just happy to have hoops season back! Here's to a fun opening night!

Griz til I die said:
My favorite time of the year is back! College Basketball is my favorite sport and I cannot wait for a full slate of hoops here on opening night. For you Big Sky Basketball fans, 8 of the 10 Big Sky teams are in action tonight, and all 8 of them play on the road. The Griz will open their season tomorrow, and Portland State will open their season on Friday. Here is tonight's slate and my predictions:

5:00 Idaho @ Denver - Should be a close game in a battle between 2 cellar dwellers in their respective conferences. Give me the Pioneers at home though.
5:00 NAU @ Michigan State - God's speed NAU. Sparty's roll!
6:00 UNC @ #3 Houston - Sure hope it's a big check UNC. Cougs will have this in the bag at halftime.
7:00 MSU @ Grand Canyon - This is going to be the game of the night. 2 Teams that will be near the top of their conferences, and might even win them. I think the cats have a good chance in this one, but I'll take the Lopes at home in a close one. I plan on watching this game and you should too!
7:00 ISU @ BYU - Not sure what to think of BYU this year in their final season in the WCC, but I do know that ISU will be garbage so the Cougs will roll!
8:00 EWU @ Santa Clara - Eastern to me feels like the most mysterious team in the conference with all their one and done players from last year, and more unknowns. Santa Clara won't be near as good this year as they were last year when we faced them, and I think I like Eastern to pull the upset in this one!
9:00 Weber @ Washington - New era for Weber hoops with the retirement of Randy Rahe. Good money game to open with. I don't think they will pull the upset, but I am expecting a very good game.
9:30 Sac @ #8 UCLA - David Patrick will have his hands full in his debut as head coach. I think UCLA is gonna win the PAC 12 this year, no chance for Sac in this one.

I'll give my prediction for the Griz tomorrow! Just happy to have hoops season back! Here's to a fun opening night!

Amen!

Can't make any of these games. I'm going to be at the Montana Field House watching Montana WBB vs. South Dakota State! I am ready for the season. :clap:

grizzlyjournal said:
Can't make any of these games. I'm going to be at the Montana Field House watching Montana WBB vs. South Dakota State! I am ready for the season. :clap:

It's NORTH Dakota State, Glen. But I'll be there with you.

:roll: :oops:
maroonandsilver said:
grizzlyjournal said:

It's NORTH Dakota State, Glen. But I'll be there with you.

:roll: :oops: Yikes. NORTH Dakota State! Go GrizWBB!

All Big Sky teams lost (as predicted by Vegas). Montana is given the best “chance” to win tonight as they are only a 4 point underdog. The other “smallest” underdogs were EWU against Santa Clara and MSU against GCU both I believe were 6.5 point dogs.

Team of the Night: Idaho State. The Bengals were up by 1 with 21 seconds left against a predicted to be very tough BYU squad and ended up losing by 4. Great effort by a team predicted to near the bottom of the Big Sky.

Runner Up Team of the Night: Idaho. Lost 68-63 on the road to Denver. How good is Denver? I have no idea and don’t really care. A competitive effort on the road against a D-1 team by the Vandals deserves a shout-out.

What Could Have been: MSU led Grand Canyon by 17 at the half and ended up losing 60-54. GCU is a quality team and this could have be a big win for the Big Sky.

Clunker of the Night: UNC. Taking on the #3 team in the country on the road (Houston) takes some ‘nads. However, if you are expected to compete for a Big Sky title, you can’t lose by 50. And if you are one of the best players in the conference (Kountz) you have to do better than only scoring 3 points (all on FTs).

Played Better than Expectations: NAU. Normally an 18 point loss is nothing to write home about, but when you are predicted to be a Big Sky bottom feeder and you play Michigan State on the road under 20 points I think you can take away some positives.

Kind of What We Thought: Sac loses by 26 to a tough UCLA squad and EWU loses by 12 to Santa Clara.

Not Sure What to Think: Weber loses 69-52 to UW. The expectations have been very low at UW for a while. However, this year they start a transfer from Kentucky and Noah Williams a transfer from Washington State who is long and athletic and perfect for UW zone. Is UW good? I have no idea. Weber is also trying to assimilate what looks to be 3 transfer starters. Also, didn’t help that their star Dillon Jones went 2-10/0-6(3pt). Still very solid with 8p/7r/8a though.

Former Griz Update: Beasley came off the bench for UC-Davis in their win over Cal and had 4p/2r/1a in 23 minutes of playing time. Owens came off the bench for Riverside in their 82-66 loss to Colorado and had 10p/4r/0a in 20 minutes of action. DCH came off the bench for Bethune-Cookman in their 89-58 loss to Iowa and 0p/3r/2a in 13 minutes on the floor.

GrizBall said:
All Big Sky teams lost (as predicted by Vegas). Montana is given the best “chance” to win tonight as they are only a 4 point underdog. The other “smallest” underdogs were EWU against Santa Clara and MSU against GCU both I believe were 6.5 point dogs.

Team of the Night: Idaho State. The Bengals were up by 1 with 21 seconds left against a predicted to be very tough BYU squad and ended up losing by 4. Great effort by a team predicted to near the bottom of the Big Sky.

Runner Up Team of the Night: Idaho. Lost 68-63 on the road to Denver. How good is Denver? I have no idea and don’t really care. A competitive effort on the road against a D-1 team by the Vandals deserves a shout-out.

What Could Have been: MSU led Grand Canyon by 17 at the half and ended up losing 60-54. GCU is a quality team and this could have be a big win for the Big Sky.

Clunker of the Night: UNC. Taking on the #3 team in the country on the road (Houston) takes some ‘nads. However, if you are expected to compete for a Big Sky title, you can’t lose by 50. And if you are one of the best players in the conference (Kountz) you have to do better than only scoring 3 points (all on FTs).

Played Better than Expectations: NAU. Normally an 18 point loss is nothing to write home about, but when you are predicted to be a Big Sky bottom feeder and you play Michigan State on the road under 20 points I think you can take away some positives.

Kind of What We Thought: Sac loses by 26 to a tough UCLA squad and EWU loses by 12 to Santa Clara.

Not Sure What to Think: Weber loses 69-52 to UW. The expectations have been very low at UW for a while. However, this year they start a transfer from Kentucky and Noah Williams a transfer from Washington State who is long and athletic and perfect for UW zone. Is UW good? I have no idea. Weber is also trying to assimilate what looks to be 3 transfer starters. Also, didn’t help that their star Dillon Jones went 2-10/0-6(3pt). Still very solid with 8p/7r/8a though.

Former Griz Update: Beasley came off the bench for UC-Davis in their win over Cal and had 4p/2r/1a in 23 minutes of playing time. Owens came off the bench for Riverside in their 82-66 loss to Colorado and had 10p/4r/0a in 20 minutes of action. DCH came off the bench for Bethune-Cookman in their 89-58 loss to Iowa and 0p/3r/2a in 13 minutes on the floor.

EXCELLENT SUMMARY! :clap: Thanks for this, GrizBall. Is this going to be a regular feature of yours at eGriz? :D

grizzlyjournal said:
GrizBall said:

EXCELLENT SUMMARY! :clap: Thanks for this, GrizBall. Is this going to be a regular feature of yours at eGriz? :D

Thanks. I think it would be a cool idea to maybe on a Sunday or Monday to recap the week that was in BSC. I know there are a lot of posters that either follow specific teams closely or have a general interest in the conference.

Back