• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Moody

His numbers in more recent seasons are not real impressive. I am a little mystified by this move. :?

I think this means one of two things:

1. Montana's offense next year will emphasize the 3 more. Moody is a very good shooter, but brings little else to the table. Seems like the exact opposite of the type of guard Travis wants.

2. Montana is striking out in the Portal.

GrizBall said:

1. Montana's offense next year will emphasize the 3 more. Moody is a very good shooter, but brings little else to the table. Seems like the exact opposite of the type of guard Travis wants.

I think we’ve done pretty well in the portal. I really like Thomas and Oke. I’m not sure we need a bunch more stars, at this point we need more depth/bench pieces. How many star players do we really need? It’s bad for the team chemistry IMO. Moody will come off the bench and provide a spark from behind the arc when we need him. Plus he’s got a strong familiarity with the Big Sky and he’s an older, veteran player. I don’t think this is a bad thing at all.

Griz til I die said:
GrizBall said:

I think we’ve done pretty well in the portal. I really like Thomas and Oke. I’m not sure we need a bunch more stars, at this point we need more depth/bench pieces. How many star players do we really need? It’s bad for the team chemistry IMO. Moody will come off the bench and provide a spark from behind the arc when we need him. Plus he’s got a strong familiarity with the Big Sky and he’s an older, veteran player. I don’t think this is a bad thing at all.

How many star players are currently on the roster?

Do you think the talent Montana has brought in through the portal is better than the talent Montana lost in the portal?

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:

Do you think the talent Montana has brought in through the portal is better than the talent Montana lost in the portal?

YES, the ones we acquired have strengthened weaknesses and added depth. Rebounding, perimeter shooting, and interior defense are all going to be improved.

Owens and DCH weren't utilized very well. Beasley is a very talented guard. However, when he wasn't on, too much of the offense was still centered on him.

I like the new pieces much better to have a more well rounded and balanced team.

mtgrizrule said:
GrizBall said:

YES, the ones we acquired have strengthened weaknesses and added depth. Rebounding, perimeter shooting, and interior defense are all going to be improved.

Owens and DCH weren't utilized very well. Beasley is a very talented guard. However, when he wasn't on, too much of the offense was still centered on him.

I like the new pieces much better to have a more well rounded and balanced team.

Thomas (5.7p/3.1r), Oke (D-2), Moody > DCH, Parker, Owens, Beasley?

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:

Umm yes I do because they address all the obvious areas of need, and I know I’m probably gonna regret saying this when you jump down my throat, but unlike Parker and Beasley I don’t think any of these guys are selfish. Parker and Beasley had some of the worst body language I have ever seen from any Griz Basketball player in a long time. I’ll admit, I was sad to see Owen’s and DCH go, I really liked both of them and I hope they do great at their respective schools. However, as other posters have pointed out, they were both poorly misused and really didn’t have that big of roles last season.

GrizBall said:
mtgrizrule said:

Thomas a starter on a top 25 team..better than all of them. CSU played a lot of players only 2 in double figures. Oke averaged 14 pts and 12 rebounds a game and defensive player of the year in . Moody played 19.1 minutes a game and averaged 6.5 pts on a team that was better than the Griz the last two year. Griz got better in the areas that killed them last two years..rebounding and post defense. Went 2-6 down the stretch when Mack went out. Griz still have solid guards with Whitney , Martin, Moody and Vasquez and maybe the freshman. But Griz got better where they had to get better.

UncleRico said:
GrizBall said:
Thomas a starter on a top 25 team..better than all of them. CSU played a lot of players only 2 in double figures. Oke averaged 14 pts and 12 rebounds a game and defensive player of the year in conference. Moody played 19.1 minutes a game and averaged 6.5 pts on a team that was better than the Griz the last two years. Griz got better in the areas that killed them last two years..rebounding and post defense. Went 2-6 down the stretch when Mack went out. Griz still have solid guards with Whitney , Martin, Moody and Vasquez and maybe the freshman. But Griz got better where they had to get better.

Griz til I die said:
GrizBall said:

Umm yes I do because they address all the obvious areas of need, and I know I’m probably gonna regret saying this when you jump down my throat, but unlike Parker and Beasley I don’t think any of these guys are selfish. Parker and Beasley had some of the worst body language I have ever seen from any Griz Basketball player in a long time. I’ll admit, I was sad to see Owen’s and DCH go, I really liked both of them and I hope they do great at their respective schools. However, as other posters have pointed out, they were both poorly misused and really didn’t have that big of roles last season.

Totally respect your thoughts. I hope I didn’t come off as jumping down your throat as that was not my intention. I enjoy the healthy debate.

People that are super competitive often have body language that can be viewed as bad. I would go to war with Beasley and Parker any day of the week.

If Owens and DCH were misused, why should I have confidence that Thomas and Oke will be used properly?

When people talk about getting better through the portal I don’t think they mean D-2 guys and players that were below average for non power conference teams.

One of my pet peeves is that all fan bases tend to emphasize the negatives of players that enter the portal and are overly confident about newcomers.

But as always time will tell.

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:

Totally respect your thoughts. I hope I didn’t come off as jumping down your throat as that was not my intention. I enjoy the healthy debate.

People that are super competitive often have body language that can be viewed as bad. I would go to war with Beasley and Parker any day of the week.

If Owens and DCH were misused, why should I have confidence that Thomas and Oke will be used properly?

When people talk about getting better through the portal I don’t think they mean D-2 guys and players that were below average for non power conference teams.

One of my pet peeves is that all fan bases tend to emphasize the negatives of players that enter the portal and are overly confident about newcomers.

The oldest Thomas and Oke won't be as reliant on others to get them the ball. Oke is our much needed rebounder and defender. Thomas is taller, bigger, stronger and a true inside outside threat than Owens and DCH were. Owens isn't a paint player, and was forced to play there. DCH SF size, PF game. Oke and Thomas are more natural fits at 4/5 and 3/4.

Hate to say it, it appeared to me Beasley did take away from team chemistry. Parker, I felt was our best guard, with his minutes. I really liked Parker.

As for Moody, we need shooters. He fits the bill. Problem with shooters in DeCuire's system, somehow we manage to under utilize them. They seem uncomfortable in the offense. I feel, Moody is gambling more on us, than we are him. I believe DeCuire knows this well.

Regardless of personnel, the GRIZ better be set better picks. Last season they picked space with air screens. We need to be contact pickers.

UncleRico said:
GrizBall said:
Thomas a starter on a top 25 team..better than all of them.

Please cite what source had CSU as a top 25 team. NCAA Net Rankings, Haslametrics, KenPom, Barttorvik don’t agree. Also, while he was a starter, he averaged only 16 minutes a game.

His 3 years at CSU, he averaged 3.8p, 5.2p and 5.7p

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dischon-thomas-1.html

GrizBall said:
UncleRico said:
Thomas a starter on a top 25 team..better than all of them.

Please cite what source had CSU as a top 25 team. NCAA Net Rankings, Haslametrics, KenPom, Barttorvik don’t agree. Also, while he was a starter, he averaged only 16 minutes a game.

They were #24 in the Final Regular season AP poll. They were very good..a 6 seed in NCAA tournament. A #6 seed would make them at worst the 24th highest rated team by the selection committee.

UncleRico said:
GrizBall said:

They were #24 in the Final Regular season AP poll. They were very good..a 6 seed in NCAA tournament. A #6 seed would make them at worst the 24th highest rated team by the selection committee.

While he was a starter, he averaged only 16 minutes a game.

His 3 years at CSU, he averaged 3.8p, 5.2p and 5.7p a game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dischon-thomas-1.html

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:

The bigs that we brought in have more size and fill the holes that last year's team was incapable of addressing. Outside Bannan, our bigs were absolutely terrible rebounders. Oke addresses that. Dichon is 6'8 235lbs. He's 30lbs heavier than KO, 20lbs heavier and 3 inches taller than DCH.

Bannan's emergence essentially signed the exit papers for both KO and DCH. He was by a wide margin the better player of the three and deserved to play the 4, where he could play both inside and out. Taking that into account, KO and DCH were forced to play out of position if they want to see any minutes.

-KO lacked the lateral speed to guard the 3, and lacked the physical strength to guard the 5.
-DCH could guard the 3, but was somewhat limited offensively and even tho he shot good percentages from 3 that definitely wasn't his game. He was too small to defend the 5 and often got in foul trouble.
-Neither KO or DCH wanted to score back to basket, so then you could put smaller players on them defensively, which would turn into a mismatch on the other end.

IMO we have taken huge strides in addressing gaps from last year with these spring signings...shooting and rebounding. We signed two experienced, college ready players who shot over 40% from beyond the arc, and a rebounding, DPOY athlete. Now we just need another PG, and we'll be set. Hopefully all these new faces can mesh sooner rather than later

UncleRico said:
Thomas a starter on a top 25 team..better than all of them. CSU played a lot of players only 2 in double figures. Oke averaged 14 pts and 12 rebounds a game and defensive player of the year in conference. Moody played 19.1 minutes a game and averaged 6.5 pts on a team that was better than the Griz the last two years. Griz got better in the areas that killed them last two years..rebounding and post defense. Went 2-6 down the stretch when Mack went out. Griz still have solid guards with Whitney , Martin, Moody and Vasquez and maybe the freshman. But Griz got better where they had to get better.

Agreed…

mtgrizrule said:
GrizBall said:

The oldest Thomas and Oke won't be as reliant on others to get them the ball. Oke is our much needed rebounder and defender. Thomas is taller, bigger, stronger and a true inside outside threat than Owens and DCH were. Owens isn't a paint player, and was forced to play there. DCH SF size, PF game. Oke and Thomas are more natural fits at 4/5 and 3/4.

Hate to say it, it appeared to me Beasley did take away from team chemistry. Parker, I felt was our best guard, with his minutes. I really liked Parker.

As for Moody, we need shooters. He fits the bill. Problem with shooters in DeCuire's system, somehow we manage to under utilize them. They seem uncomfortable in the offense. I feel, Moody is gambling more on us, than we are him. I believe DeCuire knows this well.

Regardless of personnel, the GRIZ better be set better picks. Last season they picked space with air screens. We need to be contact pickers.

You mentioned this in a previous post, and I 100% agree. I don't think we set a legal screen where we sat someone down.

To go along with your point, I don't think our guards do a good job of running off pin downs using angles and forcing the screener's defender to step up. A lot of times our guards came off pin down screens too flat...running in a straight line as compared to bending off that screen. That straight line angle off the screen allows the guard's defender to slide through the screen without getting hit, meaning that the screener's defender doesn't need to step up to help his jeopardized teammate. Once that doesn't happen, we lose the potential for the big to slip or drop off from the guard once he's attracted two defenders.

Just seems like a lot a confidence for a D-2 guy, a guy that has been playing college basketball for 5 years but only has started 7 games for non- power 5 conference teams and a guy that averaged just 16 mins a game.

Compared to a guy that was BSC Frosh of the year, the BSC 6MOY, and two guys that were HM BSC as Sophs.

3pt % probably is not all that important for teams that don’t shoot a lot of 3’s.

No one knows for sure how it’s going to turn out, but it seems like we traded guys that had demonstrable success in the BSC for speculatively successful guys.

Back