• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Just a freshman... wow

grizzlyjournal

There have been some stellar perimeter Montana WBB shooters over the years, but in Robin Selvig's system, you usually had to prove yourself for a season in practice before you got a chance to get on the floor.

Not so for 21-22 freshman Haley Huard. She's got a ways to go to get physically strong enough for the college game (needs a lot of work on defense). But she earned a starting role with her quick draw shot and now she's giving signs its hers to keep.
Her shot is as close to classic as I've seen, though she hasn't shown she can shoot it off the dribble. She sets her base early, catches and releases in a quick fluid motion, and the arc is classic for a long range shooter. Last night I was pretty astounded. I don't think the ball even grazed the rim on any of her first five shots. She finished with 18 points on 6-of-9 shooting from the corner and wing. Fun.

I share the opinions of others on this board who are cautiously optimistic regarding Montana's prospects this year. The top 6 teams in the conference are all tough, balanced and very physical. PSU is clearly at the bottom (they start 3 frosh). Winning on the road in the Big Sky is very tough. Winning every game at home will be a huge challenge. That said, there are several young players who are finding roles and making this team better game by game. It's fun for a change to see every player improve measurably game by game as I'm seeing this year. Haley is a young LG player with a very high ceiling and she's been given a license to shoot by her coach. If Haley can start knocking them down against a tougher defensive team, it will really start opening things up in the paint for Gfeller and Anderson. That's when I think the GrizWBB can start to challenge the better teams in the conference. Saturday will be a much tougher challenge. Go Griz.

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizWBB/status/1484361271407362055

She is a lights out shooter, truly, an unbelievable talent for how young she is. And the best part about Hailey Huard is how much fun she is having! Just grinning from ear to ear after every make!

That was a big takeaway from last night's game:

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1484605826555809794

Latest posts

Back