• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

SUU Pregame Scout: Daylani Ballena & Transition Offense

BigSkyBreakdown

Here are 2 different areas SUU is really good. Daylani Ballena and Cherita Daugherty could possibly be the most exciting guard combo in the conference.

Daylani Ballena Art of the P&R
https://youtu.be/it8PPR-ELNM

BigSkyBreakdown said:
Here are 2 different areas SUU is really good. Daylani Ballena and Cherita Daugherty could possibly be the most exciting guard combo in the conference.

Daylani Ballena Art of the P&R
https://youtu.be/it8PPR-ELNM

This is good film, thank you. The Lady Griz defended the P&R of Jaydia Martin by having the pick defender aggressively show above the pick. This was often Carmen or Dani in the first half last week. This approach worked well to slow down Martin in the first half so I wouldn't be surprised to see us start with that strategy this Thursday as well. I didn't see any teams use that tactic in the film, so will be interested to see how that plays out.

Guarding the P&R action with Ballena and Daugherty will be different in our opinion than how they guarded Jaydia as they are different players with the ball in their hands.. Not to say the Lady Griz won't consider the hedge. Deciding how to guard side on ball, horns actions/variations and who tags the roller will be discussed in staff meetings. SUU loves roll/rise action, their guards can hit the mid range pull up and are patient with the ball. Chess match for sure in this department

The battle on the boards will also play very important as both teams take pride in this area.

I confess I'm not developing a very good perspective of the Big Sky women's conference action so far. Southern Utah's record at the top of the Big Sky seems legit, especially its almost effortless win at NAU on Saturday. The final score was misleading. So, I really think Montana's continued success will depend more on its field goal shooting percentage (inside and outside) than anything else. The GrizWBB will need more than rebounding & solid defense to beat SUU.

The Lady Griz need to beat more good teams. Southern Utah is 4-0 and 8-5.

The Lady Griz have beaten, in conference, only teams currently at the bottom of the conference. No. Colo. 0-2, 4-6. EWU 0-3, 2-10. Sacramento St 0-4, 4-9. The Lady Griz have lost to Idaho St ( 4-1, 8-6) and Weber (3-2, 7-7).

We also agree with you Grizzlyjournal that shooting is also a concern/area for the Lady Griz if they are going to show improvement as league continues to play out.

How to guard the combo of Ballena and Daugherty on ball screen actions will be discussed as well the importance of rebounds. Southern Utah hits the offensive glass hard and teams that do that have given the Lady Griz issues. Rebounding and defense travel or at least they should with a competitive group of individuals and the Lady Griz have proven with the numbers to be good rebounders and top 1/3 defenders in the BSC.

As far as the shooting. If the Lady Griz are shooting well they are a fun bunch to watch. If they are going 3,4 & 5 plus minutes of scoreless ball they begin to show their weakness and that puts strain on solid def effort and energy.

Being able to break the defense down late clock, get in the paint and make the defense collapse is something all teams covet. Not sure the Lady Griz have a guard at the moment that can break someone down off the dribble and get to the paint when they need it. This allows teams to play more straight up, sag in the post on Gfeller and Anderson and not have to worry about 3 point shots dropping. Stiles needs to play pitch action with a post from top of key. Fatkin? Tsineke? That has yet to be seen.

ThinkingGriz said:
Looks like we have to wait on this. Game has been canceled from news I just got. Possible reschedule?

Games have been postponed and not cancelled. Conference is looking to reschedule if possible.

Until then check out our preview of the game that would have taken place and Idaho vs Weber.

https://www.bigskybreakdown.com/bsbreakdown-game-previews-and-recaps/816539_3-keys-montana-v-suu-idaho-v-weber-state

Back