• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Huggins-Majors should have their own tournament

Hoops watcher

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32439931/bob-huggins-says-major-
conferences-create-own-college-basketball-postseason-event-ditch-ncaa-tournament

Huggins opines that they would then keep all the TV money. From my perspective he's wrong for a couple reasons. First, no one is going to pay the PAC/ACC/BIG/SEC a billion dollars for a glorified ACC/BIG challenge type event. What are the ratings on ESPN for the ACC tourney and dollars paid? Second, the multi entry leagues already hoover up most of the payout. A bigger share of an 80% smaller pie doesn't make sense.

They own the sports landscape for a month. Without the possibility of David/Goliath matchups they lose the casual fan. I can see wanting to take power from the NCAA, corrupt and arbitrary as they are but it' would be a counterproductive move for college hoops IMO. Convince me otherwise.

Back