• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Biggest Question Mark

citygriz

There are a lot of questions this year, as always.
--Will any of last year's excellent freshmen--Whitney, Bannon, Beasley--have breakout years as sophomores?
--How much will Lonnell Martin and Scott Blakney contribute?
--Will any of the incoming freshmen earn playing minutes?
--What will added weight and experience mean for Mack Anderson and Kyle Owens?
But the biggest single question for me this year is this: Will Derrick Carter-Hollinger break out of his injury-ridden sophomore-jinx year, and fulfill the promise he showed as a freshman?
If he's back, this will be the single most positive development of the year.

citay said:
--Will any of last year's excellent freshmen--Whitney, Bannon, Beasley--have breakout years as sophomores?
But the biggest single question for me this year is this: Will Derrick Carter-Hollinger break out of his injury-ridden sophomore-jinx year, and fulfill the promise he showed as a freshman?
i agree 100%. Tough year for him last year. I think he is going to have great year!

citay said:

Don't tell me your giving up on the three.

I'm as big a DCH backer as anyone but it's going to take the whole rotation upping their games to get where they want to be. Hopefully the new pieces can plug some of the leaks that developed last season.

citay said:

Yes
Marginal
Probably not
Yes
YES!

Hoops watcher said:
I'm as big a DCH backer as anyone but it's going to take the whole rotation upping their games to get where they want to be. Hopefully the new pieces can plug some of the leaks that developed last season.

Reduce turnovers, defend the post and rebound. In my opinion are the biggest three. Adding a post scorer (Blankney) and a 3 that can shoot (Martin) will open up a lot for others offensively I think. Playing time is going to be highly competitive. I'm really looking forward to watching games live!

I just wish Travis would open-up the offense to a more fast-break style, instead of his slow-down style. We have the guard/wing talent to excel at a fast-pacing early-shot offense, but he never seems to take advantage of that talent.

fanofzoo said:
citay said:

Don't tell me your giving up on the three.

Well, since you asked, I just came across a great stat.

In 2015-16, the Warriors led the NBA in three-point attempts per game, 16.7.

In the past five seasons, 24 teams have eclipsed that mark.

But here's another interesting stat. That same year, 2015-16, the Warriors averaged 28 assists per game, the most in 23 years in the NBA. Since then, no team has eclipsed that mark--except the Warriors, three times.

Passing and three-point shooting. Those are two--not all!--huge ingredients for success in the modern era of basketball.

citay said:
Going down the list here!
--I think they'll all take a step forward and will all have breakout stretches. I really like Beasley though. I think he's gonna have a really special season.
--I think Blakney will help tremendously. He's got that Jamar Akoh build to him that makes him a formidable player in the paint, not the tallest guy but has some weight on him to wreck his way in just like Akoh. I think the jury is still out on Martin. If he can shoot it as well as he did at JUCO, he'll play a bunch.
--Minimal minutes. The only one I see who potentially could get good minutes is Braggs, but I don't think he'll see the floor a ton.
--Is Anderson even capable of putting on weight? Seems like that's been a major challenge for him. It will help Owens greatly as he's beginning to take that Pridgett swiss army knife leadership role. He'll have a huge year.
--I think DCH can, but I can't say that for certain. If he does though, that's really the game changing level of play that will make us contenders.

Griz til I die said:
citay said:
--I think they'll all take a step forward and will all have breakout stretches. I really like Beasley though. I think he's gonna have a really special season.
--I think Blakney will help tremendously. He's got that Jamar Akoh build to him that makes him a formidable player in the paint, not the tallest guy but has some weight on him to wreck his way in just like Akoh. I think the jury is still out on Martin. If he can shoot it as well as he did at JUCO, he'll play a bunch.
--Minimal minutes. The only one I see who potentially could get good minutes is Braggs, but I don't think he'll see the floor a ton.
--Is Anderson even capable of putting on weight? Seems like that's been a major challenge for him. It will help Owens greatly as he's beginning to take that Pridgett swiss army knife leadership role. He'll have a huge year.
--I think DCH can, but I can't say that for certain. If he does though, that's really the game changing level of play that will make us contenders.

All great points although you guys left off Bannan who is more than ready this year, ready for the soph. breakout.
Now what concerns me is the lack of fast breaks, do you think it will improve ?

fanofzoo said:
Griz til I die said:

All great points although you guys left off Bannan who is more than ready this year, ready for the soph. breakout.
Now what concerns me is the lack of fast breaks, do you think it will improve ?
Good question. That obviously was problematic last year but I do think it'll improve, maybe because I can't see it getting any worse.

alabamagrizzly said:
citay said:

Yes
Marginal
Probably not
Yes
YES!

You think Blakney's contribution will be marginal? We're in trouble if that's the case.

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Yes
Marginal
Probably not
Yes
YES!

You think Blakney's contribution will be marginal? We're in trouble if that's the case.

To clarify, I think our current post players will be improved. Secondly, Blakney was the best player on a REALLY bad team. I’m still holding out what kind of impact he’ll have on a much better team.

alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:

To clarify, I think our current post players will be improved. Secondly, Blakney was the best player on a REALLY bad team. I’m still holding out what kind of impact he’ll have on a much better team.
He can score. But bigger is we have someone besides Mack to defend the post. In my opinion the other guys were just not strong enough to defend the post last year. Adding him and the others getting stronger will be huge in correcting what I thought was one of the biggest weaknesses last year. Think of all the close games the Griz lost last year with all those young guys. 5 losses that were less than two or OT. Griz were #2 in Big Sky last year in defending the 3 but #6 in overall defensive percentage. Also 8th in rebounding margin and 7th in blocked shots. Blakney, a healthy DJ and Martin who also appears physical will all help with that.

UncleRico said:
alabamagrizzly said:
He can score. But bigger is we have someone besides Mack to defend the post. In my opinion the other guys were just not strong enough to defend the post last year. Adding him and the others getting stronger will be huge in correcting what I thought was one of the biggest weaknesses last year. Think of all the close games the Griz lost last year with all those young guys. 5 losses that were less than two or OT. Griz were #2 in Big Sky last year in defending the 3 but #6 in overall defensive percentage. Also 8th in rebounding margin and 7th in blocked shots. Blakney, a healthy DJ and Martin who also appears physical will all help with that.

Is Bannan gone ? nobody ever equates him in the rebound talk and I think he will be a big cog for us, size, shot and has a drive to the rim.

fanofzoo said:
UncleRico said:

Is Bannan gone ? nobody ever equates him in the rebound talk and I think he will be a big cog for us, size, shot and has a drive to the rim.

Very true

UncleRico said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I love the passion that Mack brings to his game. But I have never seen a big commit so many stupid fouls! He must surely hold the Griz record for number of fouls/minute in history!

hunt-ducks said:
UncleRico said:

I love the passion that Mack brings to his game. But I have never seen a big commit so many stupid fouls! He must surely hold the Griz record for number of fouls/minute in history!
Part of the problem is he was guarding true 5s for over half of the year last year. Not beefy enough to guard most of the true 5s other teams in the conference had last year

Whatever happened to the other Australian kid that was going to be with Bannon? He just disappeared from the Griz screen.

Back