• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

KenPom Pre-Season Rankkings

citygriz

Big Sky by National Ranking:

Southern Utah 124
Weber State 140
Montana 149
Portland St. 205
Montana State 223
Northern Col. 236
Idaho State 252
Sac State 310
N. Arizona 332
Idaho 352

Non-Conference Foes

Oregon 40
Mississippi St. 61
Santa Clara 110
Southern Miss 136
UC San Diego 161
North Dakota 325

Other Notables:

Oregon State 103
Gonzaga 1

citay said:

Southern Utah 124
Weber State 140
Montana 149
Portland St. 205
Montana State 223
Northern Col. 236
Idaho State 252
Sac State 310
N. Arizona 332
Idaho 352

Non-Conference Foes

Oregon 40
Mississippi St. 61
Santa Clara 110
Southern Miss 136
UC San Diego 161
North Dakota 325

Other Notables:

Oregon State 103
Gonzaga 1

EWU?

maroonandsilver said:
citay said:

Southern Utah 124
Weber State 140
Montana 149
Portland St. 205
Montana State 223
Northern Col. 236
Idaho State 252
Sac State 310
N. Arizona 332
Idaho 352

Non-Conference Foes

Oregon 40
Mississippi St. 61
Santa Clara 110
Southern Miss 136
UC San Diego 161
North Dakota 325

Other Notables:

Oregon State 103
Gonzaga 1

EWU?

Oops. EWU 295

citay said:

Southern Utah 124
Weber State 140
Montana 149
Portland St. 205
Montana State 223
Northern Col. 236
Idaho State 252
Sac State 310
N. Arizona 332
Idaho 352

Non-Conference Foes

Oregon 40
Mississippi St. 61
Santa Clara 110
Southern Miss 136
UC San Diego 161
North Dakota 325

Other Notables:

Oregon State 103
Gonzaga 1

Is there a link somewhere? It’s not on the KenPom’s pay site. Thx.

GrizBall said:
citay said:

Southern Utah 124
Weber State 140
Montana 149
Portland St. 205
Montana State 223
Northern Col. 236
Idaho State 252
Sac State 310
N. Arizona 332
Idaho 352

Non-Conference Foes

Oregon 40
Mississippi St. 61
Santa Clara 110
Southern Miss 136
UC San Diego 161
North Dakota 325

Other Notables:

Oregon State 103
Gonzaga 1

Is there a link somewhere? It’s not on the KenPom’s pay site. Thx.

I think those are Bart Torvik’s rankings (not KenPom).

citay said:

Southern Utah 124
Weber State 140
Montana 149
Portland St. 205
Montana State 223
Northern Col. 236
Idaho State 252
Sac State 310
N. Arizona 332
Idaho 352

Non-Conference Foes

Oregon 40
Mississippi St. 61
Santa Clara 110
Southern Miss 136
UC San Diego 161
North Dakota 325

Other Notables:

Oregon State 103
Gonzaga 1

I would have a few minor issues with the BSC rankings, but the only one I see that I feel is really off is Montana State. I don’t see much difference between them and the Griz.

citay said:
GrizBall said:
I think those are Bart Torvik’s rankings (not KenPom).

You are correct. My bad.

Please explain how Southern Utah is able to recruit players which allows them to be ranked higher than Montana? I'm serious. Have you ever been to Cedar City? If you are a black athlete, Cedar City is hours away from civilization, is a Mormon city, with no nightlife, no downtown, and very little diversity. How do their coaches convince black players to sign with them? I've never understood this one.

hunt-ducks said:
citay said:
You are correct. My bad.

Please explain how Southern Utah is able to recruit players which allows them to be ranked higher than Montana? I'm serious. Have you ever been to Cedar City? If you are a black athlete, Cedar City is hours away from civilization, is a Mormon city, with no nightlife, no downtown, and very little diversity. How do their coaches convince black players to sign with them? I've never understood this one.

I am just guessing here, but their style of play is appealing (pretty fast tempo and shoot a lot of 3's). So if you are Tevian Jones (for example) that has already played at a high major school (Illinois) and SUU tells you that can shoot 150 3's and show your talent to scouts, then that can be pretty appealing.

Also, most people don't realize that Cedar City is closer to Las Vegas than it is to Salt Lake. A 170 mile trip to Vegas is very easy for college kids to make. I am sure Coach Simon probably schedules practices to easily allow for these types of trips as he also has spent a lot of time coaching in Vegas and probably makes the trip frequently himself.

Was at the store today and saw two pre-season basketball magazines. Both had the top 6 in the exact same order:

SUU
WSU
ISU
MSU
Griz
NC

I initially thought ISU was high, until I realized all the magazines basically did was list the ending conference standings in order from last year, but lowered EWU out of the top 6. ISU finished 4th last year and has everyone coming back. It is also worth noting that while ISU did beat EWU at EWU, they did not play SUU or WSU. They had the 9th toughest conference Strength of Schedule. The Griz had the 2nd toughest and beat ISU twice at ISU.

I also think people are sleeping on MSU. Bishop, Adamu and Belo make a very tough Big 3. If the UW transfer Battle can add the shooting they think he can, they will be a contender.

GrizBall said:
hunt-ducks said:

I am just guessing here, but their style of play is appealing (pretty fast tempo and shoot a lot of 3's). So if you are Tevian Jones (for example) that has already played at a high major school (Illinois) and SUU tells you that can shoot 150 3's and show your talent to scouts, then that can be pretty appealing.

Also, most people don't realize that Cedar City is closer to Las Vegas than it is to Salt Lake. A 170 mile trip to Vegas is very easy for college kids to make. I am sure Coach Simon probably schedules practices to easily allow for these types of trips as he also has spent a lot of time coaching in Vegas and probably makes the trip frequently himself.

They're either practicing or playing games half the school year. My question is, what do they do at night in Cedar City?

hunt-ducks said:
GrizBall said:

They're either practicing or playing games half the school year. My question is, what do they do at night in Cedar City?

A few thoughts based on some experience with athletes in Utah:

1. It’s not BYU, you don’t have to sign a contract stating you won’t have sex or drink. So you can do these things out in open (obviously not having sex in the open, but you know what I mean).

2. Most non-BYU universities in Utah have at least a 20% non-Mormon enrollment. In addition, it has been my experience that 10-15% of Mormon students are not strict and engage in “activities” that you would associate with non-Mormon students.

3. Dixie State is 45 minutes away which would add additional students that are either not Mormon or non-practicing Mormons.

4. Even during the season, Saturday afternoon games would allow plenty opportunity to get to Vegas Saturday night and be back in time for Monday afternoon practice.

5. (Sarcastically) you severely underestimate the ability of 18-22 year-old males to find sex and mischief in even the most dire of situations.

hunt-ducks said:

[/quote]

maybe ppl should ask "How is U of M able to recruit players"? I found through quick searches that SUU has 1.74% African-Americans, compared to .896 at U of M. How is Missoula closer to "civilization" than Cedar City?

GrizBall said:
hunt-ducks said:

A few thoughts based on some experience with athletes in Utah:

1. It’s not BYU, you don’t have to sign a contract stating you won’t have sex or drink. So you can do these things out in open (obviously not having sex in the open, but you know what I mean).

2. Most non-BYU universities in Utah have at least a 20% non-Mormon enrollment. In addition, it has been my experience that 10-15% of Mormon students are not strict and engage in “activities” that you would associate with non-Mormon students.

3. Dixie State is 45 minutes away which would add additional students that are either not Mormon or non-practicing Mormons.

4. Even during the season, Saturday afternoon games would allow plenty opportunity to get to Vegas Saturday night and be back in time for Monday afternoon practice.

5. (Sarcastically) you severely underestimate the ability of 18-22 year-old males to find sex and mischief in even the most dire of situations.

I think your stats may be a bit off. The student bodies of non BYU, Utah schools is probably closer to 60% LDS and of those, probably only 40% or less are active LDS. From my perspective, here in Ogden, I would say there is little difference between UM and SUU in recruiting minority students. There may be more beer consumed around UM, but that is about the only thing that stands out. Players go to where the coaches are. I think it is that simple. They aren't picking the community so much. :coffee:

GrizBall said:
Was at the store today and saw two pre-season basketball magazines. Both had the top 6 in the exact same order:

SUU
WSU
ISU
MSU
Griz
NC

I initially thought ISU was high, until I realized all the magazines basically did was list the ending conference standings in order from last year, but lowered EWU out of the top 6. ISU finished 4th last year and has everyone coming back. It is also worth noting that while ISU did beat EWU at EWU, they did not play SUU or WSU. They had the 9th toughest conference Strength of Schedule. The Griz had the 2nd toughest and beat ISU twice at ISU.

I also think people are sleeping on MSU. Bishop, Adamu and Belo make a very tough Big 3. If the UW transfer Battle can add the shooting they think he can, they will be a contender.

Saw another mag today and it also had the Griz predicted for 5th. The three mags I have seen all have the Griz in 5th. I actually like this Mag and Ken Pom the best. The other 2 mags don't spend a lot of time on lower level conferences.

1. SUU
2. WSU
3.MSU
4. NC
5. Griz
6. ISU

Top Backcourts:
1. SUU
2. WSU
3. NC

Top Frontcourts:
1. WSU
2. SUU
3. MSU

KenPom came out this weekend and has the Griz ranked 148/358 D1 teams.

The Griz were ranked 3rd and Montana State 4th in the Big Sky behind Weber and SUU (tied for 1st).

The analytics sites (KenPom, Haslametrics and Bart Torvik) all predict the Griz 3rd.
The pre-season magazines all predict the Griz 5th.

Back