• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Commit-Jack Wetzel Prolific Prep

UMFan12

https://twitter.com/gainelitemn/status/1371611930276810752?s=20
https://twitter.com/JackWetzel6/status/1393957556754714629?s=20
Saw he took visits to North Dakota State and Colorado State and appears to be a bit of a late bloomer with heavy interest coming this spring.
Also appears to have visited Wisconsin a while back.
https://www.prephoops.com/2018/10/prospect-update-jack-wetzel-2020/

Another good get but now with him and Solomon coming in aren’t we over the scholarship limit? Unless somebody else is leaving or one of these guys is a walk on (doubt it) we should be over the limit. Would I be correct about this?

Griz til I die said:
Another good get but now with him and Solomon coming in aren’t we over the scholarship limit? Unless somebody else is leaving or one of these guys is a walk on (doubt it) we should be over the limit. Would I be correct about this?

Correct. By my count there are 14 which is one over the limit:

Solomon ,Wetzel, Braggs, Blakney, Martin, Lopez
Vasquez, Parker, Whitney, Beasley, DCH, Owens
Bannan, Anderson

Yes, that would be 14 if he is on basketball scholarship. However, I did see he was recruited by Harvard and had a 4.0 GPA. Potentially could be on full academic scholarship.

UMFan12 said:
Yes, that would be 14 if he is on basketball scholarship. However, I did see he was recruited by Harvard and had a 4.0 GPA. Potentially could be on full academic scholarship.
Ah ok that makes sense. Love that we have the luxury of having high academic kids that can earn those scholarships (Brown, Wetzel). So now my other question, how many total kids are we allowed to have on the roster? We got 13 plus the 2 on academic scholarship and then isn’t there a walk on from Alaska?

Griz til I die said:
UMFan12 said:
Ah ok that makes sense. Love that we have the luxury of having high academic kids that can earn those scholarships (Brown, Wetzel). So now my other question, how many total kids are we allowed to have on the roster? We got 13 plus the 2 on academic scholarship and then isn’t there a walk on from Alaska?
I'm not 100% on this, but it was my understanding that a scholarship is a scholarship. That it doesn't matter what pot of money it comes from, it still counts against your total. The NCAA did this to keep the schools with the deepest pockets from having an unfair advantage. Back in the day, UCLA would sign 50 guys. Not because they were going to use 50 guy, but because they didn't want to be playing against those same guys. Plus, back then, transfer rules were different and coaches could exclude any player from transferring to a school they would be playing against.

If you have a returning senior, that scholarship will not count against your 13 this comoing year. The following year it will be back to a strict 13.

There is not a limit on how many can be on your roster, just on how many may be on scholarship. I think there may be some exceptions to this. For example, a two sport athlete.

flatheadgriz406 said:
Watching the little tape that is out there on Jack, I really hope it's a walk-on spot.

If he’s a walk on he’d easily be the best walk on in the conference. He is scholarship material. Was dropping 25+ for Prolific Prep on a regular basis.

The new NCAA Covid rules seem to indicate a senior returning for an extra year (like Blakney) may not count against the scholarship limit. Given Wetzel's credentials and who was recruiting him, I doubt he would be a walk on.

GrizWhiz said:
The new NCAA Covid rules seem to indicate a senior returning for an extra year (like Blakney) may not count against the scholarship limit. Given Wetzel's credentials and who was recruiting him, I doubt he would be a walk on.

It was my understanding that this only applied to seniors remaining at their school not to transfers.

flatheadgriz406 said:
Watching the little tape that is out there on Jack, I really hope it's a walk-on spot.

Played for prolific prep one of the top teams in America. Played alongside Top recruit Jalen Green.
Their is a ten or so part documentary on Overtime about their season. Jack went 14-18 from three during a tournament last october.
Kid seems to be a pretty damn good get.
We will see though never get too hyped about 18-19yr old kids.

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:

Bannan, Anderson

Don’t forget Kreigmont and Brown

grizfan1984 said:
GrizBall said:

Bannan, Anderson

Don’t forget Kreigmont and Brown

I was only counting people I believe count towards the 13 person scholarship limit. Brown and Kreigmont are walk-ons. I don’t think there is a limit to how many academic scholarships and walk-ons you can have, but I do believe there is suit-up limit for each game. I can’t cite any rule, I just think I heard that somewhere before.

Couple of observations about Wetzel:

He's a class of 2020 kid. Graduated last year and played for Prolific as a part of their extra-year program this year. He played for Golden State Prep and to be honest there isn't a ton of information about how he did. Much of their statistics for this year are found behind some pay walls and frankly I wasn't digging all that deep.

He was getting looks from a few mid-major programs while still in Iowa but it appeared his recruitment took a hit when he moved to Napa. The best I can gather he moved to increase his profile and for reasons unbeknown to me (inconsistent playing time maybe) he didn't garner many offers as a class of 2020 kid.

Would be interesting to hear what happened with his prior recruitment because it just seems like the film suggests that he would have gotten a few offers from mid major programs.

Grizfan-24 said:
Couple of observations about Wetzel:

He's a class of 2020 kid. Graduated last year and played for Prolific as a part of their extra-year program this year. He played for Golden State Prep and to be honest there isn't a ton of information about how he did. Much of their statistics for this year are found behind some pay walls and frankly I wasn't digging all that deep.

He was getting looks from a few mid-major programs while still in Iowa but it appeared his recruitment took a hit when he moved to Napa. The best I can gather he moved to increase his profile and for reasons unbeknown to me (inconsistent playing time maybe) he didn't garner many offers as a class of 2020 kid.

Would be interesting to hear what happened with his prior recruitment because it just seems like the film suggests that he would have gotten a few offers from mid major programs.

I didn't want to dampen your enthusiasm but this info is correct....Golden State Prep is a post grad school that is a separate entity and not part of Prolific Prep even though they share parts of their training and facilities ( https://www.prolificprep.org/gsp )....I don't have any info on Wetzel...Would love to know where UMFan12 got the info that he was dropping 25+ for Prolific Prep....could you post a link? Anyone dropping 25+ for Prolific Prep should be a P5 recruit easily, so if Wetzel was doing this, you not only have a steal but you probably have a possible one and done candidate...

Back