• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Style?

citygriz

On the football board, you will find lengthy and informative dissertations on style of play--formations, strategy, et. al.-- in coaching jargon so arcane that no average person would have any idea what the hell they were talking about.

But basketball? Not so much.

Now we have a new Lady Griz coach. And among all the talk about recruiting and the gutting of the current roster, not a peep form anybody about this coach's style of play.

Fast break? Three-point shooting? Defensive philosophy?

During his initial press conference, I kept waiting for those questions. Nary a one.

Basketball is a beautiful game when played correctly. (Think Gonzaga.) Or a stupefying bore as taught by other coaches. (Which hits close to home.)

Whither Holsinger?

Didn't Decuire talk about up tempo in his first press conference? Just before he called Monty for some "style of play" tips?

citay said:
On the football board, you will find lengthy and informative dissertations on style of play--formations, strategy, et. al.-- in coaching jargon so arcane that no average person would have any idea what the hell they were talking about.

Now we have a new Lady Griz coach. And among all the talk about recruiting and the gutting of the current roster, not a peep form anybody about this coach's style of play.

During his initial press conference, I kept waiting for those questions. Nary a one.

Basketball is a beautiful game when played correctly. (Think Gonzaga.) Or a stupefying bore as taught by other coaches. (Which hits close to home.)

Whither Holsinger?

How could anyone know that. He hasn’t
been a head coach for a zillion years.

PlayerRep said:
citay said:

Whither Holsinger?

If this were football, you of ALL people would be all over it, wanting to know the coach's offensive and defensive philosophies, and critiquing both.

And just because a guy has never been a head coach doesn't mean he hasn't developed strong feelings about both offense and defense. I remain mystified as to why during the press conference with him these questions weren't asked directly.

Strategy. What a concept!

citay said:
PlayerRep said:

If this were football, you of ALL people would be all over it, wanting to know the coach's offensive and defensive philosophies, and critiquing both.

And just because a guy has never been a head coach doesn't mean he hasn't developed strong feelings about both offense and defense. I remain mystified as to why during the press conference with him these questions weren't asked directly.

Strategy. What a concept!

Not true. I never discuss football coaches' strategies and philosophies. But I am looking forward to the new LG coaches Power 5 backcourt.

Back