• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Proposed College Basketball rule changes

Griz til I die

DONOR
Most of these are just down right terrible and trying to make the game unwatchable like the NBA, but the two interesting ones on here that I could get behind are awarding possession of the ball to the defense if they force a held ball (eliminating the possession arrow), and permit a team to decline free throws in the last 2 minutes of the second half or overtime and instead choose a throw-in under the hoop.
https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1382343899511934977?s=20

Griz til I die said:
Most of these are just down right terrible and trying to make the game unwatchable like the NBA, but the two interesting ones on here that I could get behind are awarding possession of the ball to the defense if they force a held ball (eliminating the possession arrow), and permit a team to decline free throws in the last 2 minutes of the second half or overtime and instead choose a throw-in under the hoop.
https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1382343899511934977?s=20

I like the 6 fouls rule. Just in part because of the inconsistency in officiating. Some games those guys are calling everything and other games nothing. And now with almost everything being a charge and almost every other screen being called illegal it would make the game better. Mack Anderson would love this rule change:)

The one rule that's not on here that should be is a time limit for video review. You get 2 minutes, and if you can't figure it out in 2 minutes then the call on the court stands.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Not a fan of any [of] those proposals.
Fan of one: Limit timeouts in the last two minutes of the game. With the normal flurry of fouls called during that period, it already seems to take forever. Throw in (sometimes) a half dozen timeouts and that 2 min of clock time can last 10-15 min (or more) in real time. And during most of that time, everyone is basically just standing around. You want/need to call a play or defensive setup? Devise a better set of signals ... football seems to do fine, with a whole lot more players in the mix.

The kicked ball rule. You can deflect the ball with any part of your body except your foot, WTF, never understood this.

fanofzoo said:
The kicked ball rule. You can deflect the ball with any part of your body except your foot, WTF, never understood this.

Can you imagine THOSE replays. Refs trying to figure out where the leg ends and the foot begins and if the ball touched any part of the "foot" and not just the leg.

Jesus :roll:

Count me in on the six foul rule.
--Nobody comes to a game to watch refs call fouls.
-- You hate to see a star player foul out on a cheapy in the last crucial minutes of a game, especially if he plays for you.
--As pointed out above, refereeing is an art, not a science. It can be highly inconsistent, from game to game or even within a game.
--It would deflect a major criticism of college basketball, that of "home cooking." I'd even be for extra technical shots if it kept star players on the court.

ilovethecats said:
fanofzoo said:

Can you imagine THOSE replays. Refs trying to figure out where the leg ends and the foot begins and if the ball touched any part of the "foot" and not just the leg.

Well, since it is the kicking motion they would be looking for, it really doesn't have to be the foot.

HelenaHandBasket said:
ilovethecats said:

Well, since it is the kicking motion they would be looking for, it really doesn't have to be the foot.

No just throw that rule out, why should kicking the ball be a T.O.

HelenaHandBasket said:
ilovethecats said:

Some more proposed rules and a couple that look like they will be in effect next season.
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/technical-fouls-proposed-players-who-flop-men-s-basketball

I like that women's college basketball has moved to 4 - 10 minute quarters. Reset fouls each quarter....after 5 fouls in a quarter teams shoot 2 FT's on each foul......but the next quarter you reset. Avoids getting to the 1 and 1 bonus (doesn't exist anymore) and automatic 2FT's sooner in both the 2nd and 4th quarters. Less 4th quarter FT contests.

Maybe not ideal for Griz as they shoot FT's well. But they also foul more than most. Just more fun for fans to watch up and down court bball vs. FT's

With the change in women's game I believe all levels of bball play 4 quarters except men's college. Why?

Mousegriz said:
I like that women's college basketball has moved to 4 - 10 minute quarters. Reset fouls each quarter....after 5 fouls in a quarter teams shoot 2 FT's on each foul......but the next quarter you reset. Avoids getting to the 1 and 1 bonus (doesn't exist anymore) and automatic 2FT's sooner in both the 2nd and 4th quarters. Less 4th quarter FT contests.

Maybe not ideal for Griz as they shoot FT's well. But they also foul more than most. Just more fun for fans to watch up and down court bball vs. FT's

With the change in women's game I believe all levels of bball play 4 quarters except men's college. Why?
Because coaches like the 1 and 1. That's the sole reason for why the men haven't moved to quarters yet.

fanofzoo said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

This soccer fan is here to tell you that scores would be cut in half and injuries doubled if kicking were allowed, making basketball unwatchable.

Unsure of the last time I saw the 5-second rule called. I thought they already did away with it. Any more, the ballhandler gets punished by the defense for trying to keep the ball that long anyway.

I do like the womens 10-minute quarters, mostly for the reason it won’t happen with the men. It’s one LESS TV timeout per half.

I think of it this way... what makes the game easier to officiate? I’ve refereed soccer at lowly level 8... the rule changes made in soccer since I quit virtually all make sense for making it easier to ref games. Getting rid of the 5-second rule and the 10-second rule and aligning with FIBA rules are likely to help for basketball.

Back