• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is Citay a Racist?

citygriz

Hey, board. Let's have this out. HelenaHandbasket has called me that directly; others have alluded to it. So let's clear it up, okay?

A racist is a person who is prejudiced AGAINST or antagonistic TOWARD people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group.

That is not me. Especially not toward WHITE people. That would be difficult-- I happen to be one. From Helena, no less.

Here's what I AM: A fan. A fan of our Griz. Have been since I was eight; since I was a student at Montana; and ever after.

And as a FAN, rooting for our Griz, it has come to my attention that ALL successful football and basketball teams, at the professional or collegiate level, have critically important black talent on their rosters.

That when it comes to pro basketball, some 70% of the greatest players of all time are black.

Come to think of it, I cannot recall one football or basketball team, professional or collegiate, that has won a major championship with an all-white roster IN THE PAST 50 YEARS.

And even if there is one, it'd be the exception to the rule.

The last time anybody tried that was Kentucky, in basketball, back in the mid-60's, and it did not work out well for them.

Which brings us to our beloved Lady Griz. Three black players in 46-year history of the Lady Griz program--only ONE of which was actively recruited by the Lady Griz staff.

Now if you're sick of me hearing about this, fine. I get it. It won't shut me up, but I get it.

But in light of the evidence of so many teams doing so well with black athletes the while the Lady Griz seem unable or unwilling to recruit black athletes, I have to wonder, amid all the cries that I am a racist, just how that makes sense.

And where they real racism exists.

Citay is not a racist. I have been reading his posts for a very long time. I also do not believe that the lack of black players and coaches in the women's program is a result of racism. Citay, I suggest not putting too much stock in racism charges from tourist. If you want to know some of what he is all about, take a look at his posts in the politcal forum.

You answered the question you asked about yourself on a public fan forum(who does that?) in line 3....then told us the Lady Griz need black players and maybe now a black coach for the 1,000th time in the past couple years for the rest of your ramble.

I heard there's a really nice little black point guard in the Bay Area Class of 2029 that Travis offered! He's got a little sister class of 2032...Mike Petrino's all over her as we speak.

You're not a racist, though you come close to the dreaded "cancel culture" by insinuating others are racist with no real evidence. You are also ignoring Native Americans, who are people of color and a maligned group. Lady Griz have a rich history there. The girls probably map to the demographics of the state fairly well, which is where they focused recruiting during that history.

That said, having more black players would be a definite plus and should be a focus for the future - some maybe for winning reasons; me for diversity reasons.

HelenaHandBasket said:
citay said:
Hey, board. Let's have this out. HelenaHandbasket has called me that directly;

Did I? Link?

"I don't disagree that changes are required, but the basis of your entire argument is nothing but poppycock. As per usual, everything comes down to a race issue for you."

I admit: By my own definition of racism, you did not exactly call me a racist.

I've had my say.

astutegriz said:
You're not a racist, though you come close to the dreaded "cancel culture" by insinuating others are racist with no real evidence. You are also ignoring Native Americans, who are people of color and a maligned group. Lady Griz have a rich history there. The girls probably map to the demographics of the state fairly well, which is where they focused recruiting during that history.

That said, having more black players would be a definite plus and should be a focus for the future - some maybe for winning reasons; me for diversity reasons.
“Cancel culture” is a bit ironic coming from the “shut up and dribble” crowd.

HelenaHandBasket said:
citay said:
Hey, board. Let's have this out. HelenaHandbasket has called me that directly;

Did I? Link?

Not even indirectly. Helena is just questioning your logic. As am I. No where can you justifiably say that a coaches of color are superior to those who are not. You just make a poor case for it. You just have extreme bias I would say. If the next coach is black then great. I wouldn't say you are racist.

citay said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Did I? Link?

"I don't disagree that changes are required, but the basis of your entire argument is nothing but poppycock. As per usual, everything comes down to a race issue for you."

I admit: By my own definition of racism, you did not exactly call me a racist.

I've had my say.

Not even close.

image.jpg

I am not sure why Citay seems to be so stuck on recruiting black players, i want the best players regardless of their skin color. There was a post a while ago when he discussed women’s point guard for MSU being black, my first thought was “”is she’?” Then my second thought was “who the hell cares if she is or is not”....

I don’t know Citay at all and will not judge in a forum... However, he does skirt a line of discrimination against white players and i think should tone it down

Wiki defines racism as "the belief that groups of humans possess different behavioral traits corresponding to physical appearance and can be divided based on the superiority of one race over another."

Citay: "Hire a black coach.....the historical path of the Lady Griz, which is to only recruit white girls from the geographical area of Montana and the Pacific Northwest."
"It's time to widen our recruiting horizon as the first priority of this program. A black coach would certainly do that.""But I know a black coach would widen our recruiting horizons...and I know that is crucial for this program."

His words of the last 24 hours. Plenty of posters took offense with the terminology and rationale used, but just couldn't say the 'R' word. There is no possible way to support any of this delusional propoganda. None. Pathetic as Rachel Dolezal.

I admit I struggle with this concept on a daily basis. All good college basketball teams have a majority of African-American players whether it men’s or women’s. The same is true professionally. That is a statistical fact. Is it racism or are African Americans as a percentage disproportionately better at basketball?

But like in crime statistics is there is also a certain amount of bias. My personal opinion is 18-21 year olds in Montana as percentage smoke and sell marijuana at the same percentage as 18-21 olds in New York City, but I guarantee you the percentage of 18-21 year olds in NYC that are locked up for marijuana offenses is vastly greater than Montana. And those are disproportionately African-Americans.

But I also feel confident that in basketball recruiting, an African-American will get the benefit of the doubt over a similarly talented Caucasian.

Also, if you are anAfrican-American female and don’t see African-American success at Montana on the women’s side I think that would be a red flag in recruitment.

The men’s side has proven success at a minimum dating back to at least Michael Ray Richardson.

So I guess in sum, it’s probably an issue deeper than what can be articulated on a message board.

Must be the off-season. Neither of you two probably get it. Both ignorant. You certainly don’t need to start a thread on the subject defending yourself on an anonymous message board. The guy is likely an a-hole there are lots of them on here. Bad look all the way around. Moderators how about shutting this thread down?

Maybe. Maybe not. Better question: Is a posting on this issue an example of self-absorbed white male privilege?

Not sure myself, but a lot of people seem to be asking.

Back