• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's needed?

mtgrizrule

Establish a true go to guy on offense.
Owens needs more touches. He can be that guy.

A consistent glass eater.
I honestly thought Steadman would be that player, going into the season. He apparently lost too much weight.

Junkyard mentality
The graduation of Pridgett and the tenacity of Falls haven't been replaced. This team is too young to establish that. Carter Hollinger is the most ready for it.

On the court leadership.
Gaskin was going to be that guy. I thought Steadman could be one. He hasn't been. Owens, Hollinger, the 3 Freshman need to grab leadership roles.

6 games to find these things. Can they find these things? The talent and potential is there.

mtgrizrule said:

I honestly thought Steadman would be that player, going into the season. He apparently lost too much weight.

Junkyard mentality
The graduation of Pridgett and the tenacity of Falls haven't been replaced. This team is too young to establish that. Carter Hollinger is the most ready for it.

On the court leadership.
Gaskin was going to be that guy. I thought Steadman could be one. He hasn't been. Owens, Hollinger, the 3 Freshman need to grab leadership roles.

6 games to find these things. Can they find these things? The talent and potential is there.

Steadman didn't lost too much weight. I hate to say it. He's just too soft. Prove me wrong, Steadman.

PeauxRouge said:
mtgrizrule said:

Junkyard mentality

On the court leadership.

Steadman didn't lost too much weight. I hate to say it. He's just too soft. Prove me wrong, Steadman.
And start eating extra helping or provide him a good cook! :lol:

Why oh why after all these years we still have no center or big guy, hasn't it been shown to us the advantage.
Everytime Steadman gets the ball down low you see 4 guys standing perfectly still, do they think he will never pass out of that, I mean their right but still move !
Don't think he will be here next year.

Dillon said:
PeauxRouge said:
And start eating extra helping or provide him a good cook! :lol:

Weight would really help but it's the mentality not really a warrior.

PeauxRouge said:
mtgrizrule said:

Junkyard mentality

On the court leadership.

He wasn't too soft at San Jose State, against supposedly better competition. I'd like to see Henderson get a few minutes, just to see if he could give us physical play.

mtgrizrule said:
PeauxRouge said:

He wasn't too soft at San Jose State, against supposedly better competition. I'd like to see Henderson get a few minutes, just to see if he could give us physical play.

How do you explain this ? coaching ?

fanofzoo said:
mtgrizrule said:

Wish I knew. Does he already have a bachelor's degree? Maybe he's happy with that and burned out. Steadman hasn't played to potential. Henderson isn't seeing time. Yagi left. The last 3 transfer bigs haven't worked out well. Let's hope Steadman delivers down the stretch and finishes on a high note.

Been liking Anderson's toughness on the defensive end, but unfortunately he's not a great threat to opponents on the offensive end

fanofzoo said:
mtgrizrule said:

I just feel the hype with Steadman did him no favors

At Montana, he is shooting better from floor (54% v. 48%) and the line (68% v. 61%).

If my math is correct he is playing about 25% less at Montana (22.6mpg v. 30.5mpg), but his per 40 minutes scoring is roughly the same (17.3 v. 17.6). His per 40 minutes rebounding is a slightly down (11.2 v. 9.6).

SJS also played faster than UM which presumably would mean more opportunities for points and rebounds. My guess is that adjusted for minutes and tempo, he is probably giving the Griz the same thing he gave SJS.

While the competition was greater, SJS was one of the absolute worst teams in the country that year (343 out of 353 teams). They were 4-27, with what I would consider only one good win. They lost many games by +10 and + 20 and even a few by +30. This leads me to believe that (to no fault of his own) he played many, many meaningless minutes. Although I did not see him play at SJS, I would guess the pressure and intensity is much greater during Griz games which have almost all been super competitive. And I would pretty much guarantee more is being asked of him defensively.

So my summary is Steadman has been solid and can only be viewed as disappointing based on the hype others gave him. If he was playing the same amount of time as at he did at SJS he would be giving you about 13p/8r which only one other player in the BSC is doing (my vote for POY Groves at EWU 17p/8r).

GrizBall said:
fanofzoo said:

At Montana, he is shooting better from floor (54% v. 48%) and the line (68% v. 61%).

If my math is correct he is playing about 25% less at Montana (22.6mpg v. 30.5mpg), but his per 40 minutes scoring is roughly the same (17.3 v. 17.6). His per 40 minutes rebounding is a slightly down (11.2 v. 9.6).

SJS also played faster than UM which presumably would mean more opportunities for points and rebounds. My guess is that adjusted for minutes and tempo, he is probably giving the Griz the same thing he gave SJS.

While the competition was greater, SJS was one of the absolute worst teams in the country that year (343 out of 353 teams). They were 4-27, with what I would consider only one good win. They lost many games by +10 and + 20 and even a few by +30. This leads me to believe that (to no fault of his own) he played many, many meaningless minutes. Although I did not see him play at SJS, I would guess the pressure and intensity is much greater during Griz games which have almost all been super competitive. And I would pretty much guarantee more is being asked of him defensively.

So my summary is Steadman has been solid and can only be viewed as disappointing based on the hype others gave him. If he was playing the same amount of time as at he did at SJS he would be giving you about 13p/8r which only one other player in the BSC is doing (my vote for POY Groves at EWU 17p/8r).

Thanks for the insight. The expectations were very high. I know, I expected him to put up more double doubles and have a bigger impact.

In his defense, this team doesn't feed the paint players much. Owens and Bannan, also don't see as many touches in the paint. Bannan is putting up better numbers away from the paint.

Maybe, the team should focus more on feeding the paint and the posts look to kick out when doubled. Collectively, the team isn't as cohesive and aware as past Griz teams have been with paint players and perimeter players working together.

Our “post” players are too soft to feed them in the paint. They get stripped of the ball with regularity when that happens. ALWAYS have to dribble once before going up. RARELY dunk it, but always some soft hook shot or bank off the glass...It’s a function of aggression, which none of them (with exception of Mac) seem to have, and his hands continue to fail him at inopportune times....

mtgrizrule said:
GrizBall said:

Thanks for the insight. The expectations were very high. I know, I expected him to put up more double doubles and have a bigger impact.

In his defense, this team doesn't feed the paint players much. Owens and Bannan, also don't see as many touches in the paint. Bannan is putting up better numbers away from the paint.

Maybe, the team should focus more on feeding the paint and the posts look to kick out when doubled. Collectively, the team isn't as cohesive and aware as past Griz teams have been with paint players and perimeter players working together.

I have often had that same thought, but to be honest I never have a definitive answer. On one hand Steadman takes a team high 25% of the team’s shots when he is on floor, which on its face would suggest he is getting a decent amount of touches. This seems to be a good thing as he shoots 54% from the field.

On the other hand he has 5asst and a team high 43 TOs. This is similar to his year at SJS. So do I want him passing the ball around or should he just be trying to score whenever he gets the ball? Is he not a very good passer or as you pointed out is it a matter of lack of movement by the perimeter players once he gets the ball to create easy passes? Or a little bit of both? Every player has their strengths and weaknesses and I am not sure where passing lies in his skill set.

Also as you point out, at this stage of his career Bannan is most effective facing up in the mid-range area. Although he also has a fair number of TOs I believe he has a very high basketball IQ. I think we are now starting to see the game slow down a little bit for him and he is becoming more effective and his TOs seemed to have dropped substantially. Once he gets a little bit stronger he will be a nightmare match-up anywhere on the floor (including the post).

GrizBall said:
mtgrizrule said:

I have often had that same thought, but to be honest I never have a definitive answer. On one hand Steadman takes a team high 25% of the team’s shots when he is on floor, which on its face would suggest he is getting a decent amount of touches. This seems to be a good thing as he shoots 54% from the field.

On the other hand he has 5asst and a team high 43 TOs. This is similar to his year at SJS. So do I want him passing the ball around or should he just be trying to score whenever he gets the ball? Is he not a very good passer or as you pointed out is it a matter of lack of movement by the perimeter players once he gets the ball to create easy passes? Or a little bit of both? Every player has their strengths and weaknesses and I am not sure where passing lies in his skill set.

Also as you point out, at this stage of his career Bannan is most effective facing up in the mid-range area. Although he also has a fair number of TOs I believe he has a very high basketball IQ. I think we are now starting to see the game slow down a little bit for him and he is becoming more effective and his TOs seemed to have dropped substantially. Once he gets a little bit stronger he will be a nightmare match-up anywhere on the floor (including the post).

When opponents go small, we should have Carter Hollinger post up his match-up. He's strong like Pridgett was, with solid moves and touch. Also, he's a solid passer. Then again, I'm not sure, how healthy DCH is. He's not consistently aggressive this season, like he was as Freshman.

Speaking of aggressive, Vazquez is getting more confident with going into the paint and looking to score more. I hope, he keeps trending that way.

Back