• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Offensive Coordinator?

citygriz

I brought this up earlier. I was joking, of course. Now I'm not.

Our offense is terrible. Let me offer some specifics.

--Three-point shooting: We have five kids on our team shooting 40% or better from three-point range, and one more, Brandon Whitney, shooting 37.5%. Do you know how good that is? That is terrific! As a team we are shooting 39% from downtown versus roughly 31% for our opponents. This should give us a huge edge against any opponent, right?
Nope! We shoot way fewer three's than our opponents, and something on the order of 100 fewer three's than most other teams in the country. Today, early in the game against Portland State, I saw one of our guards pass up a wide-open warm-up three, instead drive in for a "better" shot and lose the ball. I'm screaming, "Shoot the damned ball!!!!!"
I put this squarely on DeCuire. He's a Mike Montgomery acolyte. Monty never liked the three-ball. Neither does DeCuire. The culture starts at the top. And when you have 40% shooters passing up wide-open warm-up three's, that is almost a criminal offense in today's basketball.
There. Is. No. Better. Shot.

--Post Touches: Over the entire season our three bigs---Owens, Bannan and Steadman--have a COMBINED 15 assists. That is terrible. This tells me two things in flashing red neon lights: Our bigs are not getting enough touches; and we sure as hell don't respect the three-point shot because our bigs should have way more assists simply passing the ball back out for wide-open three's.
We go possession after possession without any of our bigs touching the damned ball. When you have four kids 6'8" or taller on your team in the notoriously undersized Big Sky Conference, they should be integral parts of your offense. And if you try to tell me that post players don't have assists, I would direct you to Nikola Jokic, one the NBA's leaders in assists. It can be done! And crisp post passing is a thing of beauty in basketball.

--Movement off the ball. Almost non-existent. When's the last time you saw a player cut to the basket for a backdoor layup? Or get a layup from a feed along the baseline? If you ever watch a Warriors game, watch Steph Curry. CONSTANT movement off the ball. And not just Curry. The entire team is passing, cutting, curling, slicing, moving. Guarding the Warriors is a nightmare. Guarding the Griz is like guarding a Brinks truck. Next time we play, just watch the players watching the guards who are dribbling back and forth at the top of the key, waiting for Whitney to find an opening for a drive to the basket.

Jeez, I love this team. Our players are terrific--wonderful, high-character kids. They play tough tenacious defense. DeCuire is a rising star in the college ranks, and it has not escaped my attention that two jobs he'd take in a heartbeat--Cal and Washington--are both looking mighty shaky at this time. DeCuire has ties to both programs--and beat Washington this year. He has to be among the candidates mentioned if those jobs open up.

But he's got to juice up this offense. Or find an assistant who can. With our talent, in this conference, even with our youth--we should not be where we are right now.

Ahem.
How many times have we passed up a good shot for a worse shot.

Showing my wife, look when steadman gets the ball the other 4 players are statue still, grrrrrr.

Fast break, I think we might have about 4-5 this season, total.

Citay you are spot on. I couldn’t even begin to count the open shots we passed up. So then what happens, the defense collapses, we take off balance shots, we’re out of position for an offensive rebound and their off and running. I certainly don’t have the answers but maybe simplify the offense so these guys don’t have to think about their next move but let their instincts take over.

Sport said:
Citay you are spot on. I couldn’t even begin to count the open shots we passed up. So then what happens, the defense collapses, we take off balance shots, we’re out of position for an offensive rebound and their off and running. I certainly don’t have the answers but maybe simplify the offense so these guys don’t have to think about their next move but let their instincts take over.

I thought that's what Sat. game was supposed tobe. Less designed plays and more instinctive play.

How does our offensive style hurt recruiting, I mean who wants to come play in a 50's offensive.

I followed the game on twitter yesterday rather than in here, and I was struck by Marceau's tweet. He's been adamant that the offensive struggles all year aren't because of talent but because of coaching, this is what he said:

Brian Marceau @BrianMarceau: UM has 44 points with 4 minutes left in the game. Give it a quick watch and notice how many wide open shots Griz wings pass up. They're scared to shoot, they're scared to be aggressive. That doesn't happen on accident, these guys are being taught to be scared on offense.

I don't disagree. I have never minded the offense because I always loved the efficiency. But it has always been risk averse from the first day he stepped on campus. He promised an up tempo teams, very much like Bobby did when he took over for Joe Glenn. All he has done is win game after game, but with a similar philosophy to that of Bobby. Teams that limit possessions on defense and an offense that is the opposite of up-tempo.

I don't think TDC ever hands over the reigns of the offense to anyone else, because I do believe it is about control. Like or don't like it, this is Travis's program. I am the biggest supporter of Travis, but this year at times seems more about breaking the colts at times. I could be all wet, but there was a point about midway through the second half where Whitney passed up a clear jumpshot only to turn it over, that I was watching the Hickory Huskers when the team is being forced to pass four times before they shoot.

That was as an awful offensive performance as I have seen and it really didn't have to be that way. That is of course my opinion, but as Marceau noted, this has all the hallmarks of coaching intervention to make players afraid. Again he and I could be all sorts of wrong.

I don't know there are short term answers, because I don't think this team is suddenly going to change its spots because Travis thinks the best chance for this team to win is to keep games in the 50's. That makes these games this weekend a bit terrifying, because WSU is just as good defensively as the UM is. I want to be positive, but at this point it is super hard to be that way.

Grizfan-24 said:
I followed the game on twitter yesterday rather than in here, and I was struck by Marceau's tweet. He's been adamant that the offensive struggles all year aren't because of talent but because of coaching, this is what he said:

Brian Marceau @BrianMarceau: UM has 44 points with 4 minutes left in the game. Give it a quick watch and notice how many wide open shots Griz wings pass up. They're scared to shoot, they're scared to be aggressive. That doesn't happen on accident, these guys are being taught to be scared on offense.

I don't disagree. I have never minded the offense because I always loved the efficiency. But it has always been risk averse from the first day he stepped on campus. He promised an up tempo teams, very much like Bobby did when he took over for Joe Glenn. All he has done is win game after game, but with a similar philosophy to that of Bobby. Teams that limit possessions on defense and an offense that is the opposite of up-tempo.

I don't think TDC ever hands over the reigns of the offense to anyone else, because I do believe it is about control. Like or don't like it, this is Travis's program. I am the biggest supporter of Travis, but this year at times seems more about breaking the colts at times. I could be all wet, but there was a point about midway through the second half where Whitney passed up a clear jumpshot only to turn it over, that I was watching the Hickory Huskers when the team is being forced to pass four times before they shoot.

That was as an awful offensive performance as I have seen and it really didn't have to be that way. That is of course my opinion, but as Marceau noted, this has all the hallmarks of coaching intervention to make players afraid. Again he and I could be all sorts of wrong.

I don't know there are short term answers, because I don't think this team is suddenly going to change its spots because Travis thinks the best chance for this team to win is to keep games in the 50's. That makes these games this weekend a bit terrifying, because WSU is just as good defensively as the UM is. I want to be positive, but at this point it is super hard to be that way.

I think he has the guys playing tight. That tends to happen if every single time they make a mistake, they are immediately subbed out. This isn’t the only year this has happened.....

Grizfan-24 said:

I drive my wife absolutely CRAZY - when I yell at the tv - Why the Hell are you guys giving up open shots to just cause a turnover instead! :roll:

fanofzoo said:
Ahem.

Showing my wife, look when steadman gets the ball the other 4 players are statue still, grrrrrr.

The fast break thing I can't wrap my mind around, we are soo good on D yet never create a fast break going the other way.

fanofzoo said:
How does our offensive style hurt recruiting, I mean who wants to come play in a 50's offensive.

Also, on a more broad scope, who the hell wants to go to a failing University?

CleanHOUSE said:
fanofzoo said:
Ahem.

The fast break thing I can't wrap my mind around, we are soo good on D yet never create a fast break going the other way.
Is it that you are good at D or is it that you almost always use the entire shot clock?

UMFan12 said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I think he has the guys playing tight. That tends to happen if every single time they make a mistake, they are immediately subbed out. This isn’t the only year this has happened.....

Maybe because the team is so young but it seems worse as the year has gone on. Saturday was pathetic.

Weber has 4 players who have made 19 -3's. Have we even made 19- 3's as a team ?

TD wants to bring back the zoo atmosphere, well this isn't the way to do it.

I pray I am wrong but over by half.

Back