• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rayqaun Evans & Rollie Worster — Where are they now?

anchorage ak

Evans and Worster are both Montana Class AA products as everyone here knows. Evans from the Eastern AA at Billings Skyview and Worster dominated the Western AA for 4 years at Missoula Hellgate.

Evans is excelling in the ACC for Florida State in his 4th year out of the prep ranks in Montana. I’m not positive, but I think his Dad was a Griz.

Rollie is getting the second most minutes on an excellent Utah State squad as a true freshman right out of Hellgate. With the zero year, he’ll likely be a Knightmare (pun intended) for opponents in the MW for 5 full seasons.

Rollie along with Blaine Taylor, Tres Tinkle, and J.R. Camel are on the Mt. Rushmore of Missoula Hellgate hoop stars — along with the chiseled sculpture of Eric Hays. Not a bad Rushmore for the Knights.

In Evans first start recently:

"The former Billings Skyview High School basketball standout had his best NCAA Division I game, scoring 24 points — on 9-of-11 shooting, no less — to help his Florida State squad roll to a 105-73 win over North Carolina State on Wednesday.

It might have been Evans’ first start for the Seminoles since joining the program in 2019, but it was a long time in the making. He said he used last season “like a learning year,” and that experience is paying dividends this year. Evans has played in all eight of Florida State’s games and is averaging 7.4 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.0 assists per game. He’s doing it efficiently, too, shooting 47.4% from the floor, 45.5% from 3-point range and 91.7% from the free throw line."

https://www.montanasports.com/college-sports/ncaa/former-billings-skyview-standout-rayquan-evans-thriving-on-big-stage-at-florida-state

anchorage said:
Griz greats Matt Kempfert and Ryan Dick also would make great busts on the Hellgate basketball Mt. Rushmore.

I agree. At least Matt and Ryan were tried and true 4-year Knights, not transfers to the program for their own benefit like some others mentioned.

Zirg said:
anchorage said:
Griz greats Matt Kempfert and Ryan Dick also would make great busts on the Hellgate basketball Mt. Rushmore.

I agree. At least Matt and Ryan were tried and true 4-year Knights, not transfers to the program for their own benefit like some others mentioned.

Sorry just got here, what are we talking about, Sentinel ? My bad reading above it's a BB question not football.

fanofzoo said:
Zirg said:

Sorry just got here, what are we talking about, Sentinel ? My bad reading above it's a BB question not football.

Speaking of Sentinel, what about Zacheus Darko-Kelly? He might be the Big Sky MVP if he was in Maroon and Silver this winter. He has professional scouts drooling at his measurable skills. People might not realize how good he is if they haven’t followed his career since he graduated from Missoula’s second oldest high school.

I cringe thinking how tough the Griz could be this winter with Darko-Kelly, Worster and Rayquan Evans. Not to mention how cool it would be to have in-state players playing for their home University!

anchorage said:
fanofzoo said:

Speaking of Sentinel, what about Zacheus Darko-Kelly? He might be the Big Sky MVP if he was in Maroon and Silver this winter. He has professional scouts drooling at his measurable skills. People might not realize how good he is if they haven’t followed his career since he graduated from Missoula’s second oldest high school.

I cringe thinking how tough the Griz could be this winter with Darko-Kelly, Worster and Rayquan Evans. Not to mention how cool it would be to have in-state players playing for their home University!

I wish those guys all the best. But I'm happy with our guys. High character kids, all.

bottom line is Decuire has not got the job done in his own back yard, this forum seems to be afraid to criticize anything Decuire. He has done a good job but is far from great, has a solid program with top fan support and facilities in a poor conference. Anyone in his seat should have high expectations, especially with recruits within a mile of campus

From my recollection, Evans wanted zero to do with UM, Worster, for whatever reason, decided to go elsewhere, and Darko-Kelly was only on the radar of Frontier level schools, no interest what-so-ever from D1, coming out of high school. The what-if game is great, but don't stray to far from the reality.

wyomingriz said:
bottom line is Decuire has not got the job done in his own back yard, this forum seems to be afraid to criticize anything Decuire. He has done a good job but is far from great, has a solid program with top fan support and facilities in a poor conference. Anyone in his seat should have high expectations, especially with recruits within a mile of campus

You have some kind of citation that these recruits even wanted to come to UM? I'm not "in the know" about these things, you seem to imply you are, so let's hear the scoop.

HelenaHandBasket said:
From my recollection, Evans wanted zero to do with UM, Worster, for whatever reason, decided to go elsewhere, and Darko-Kelly was only on the radar of Frontier level schools, no interest what-so-ever from D1, coming out of high school. The what-if game is great, but don't stray to far from the reality.

Party pooper. :lol:

Hoops watcher said:
wyomingriz said:

You have some kind of citation that these recruits even wanted to come to UM? I'm not "in the know" about these things, you seem to imply you are, so let's hear the scoop.

can you read? Didn't say anything about Darko or Evans just about the kid a mile from campus. Not sure if you understand the word "citation" as this is a message board dumba$$. However, since you ask, i do have direct knowledge with Darko-Kelly and Rollie... Decquire requested Rollie not play football his senior year which led to him withdrawing. Darko-Kelly only wiff was from Western out of high school then transferred to Providence 2 years ago, before he transferred me made a run at Griz who had no interest... All i know about Evans is his dad was a Griz and he signed with Rocky before NIC. I would make crazy guess that he would choose Griz over Rocky?

Bottom Line: You’ve got a Hellgate kid who dearly wanted to stay and play for his hometown team and now he’s killing it in the MWC. Sucks for MT hoops fans!!!

"LOGAN, Utah - Men's basketball freshman guard Rollie Worster has been named the America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the week for the period ending on Sunday, Jan. 31. The award is voted on by a state-wide media panel.

With their sponsorship of the Student-Athlete of the Week, America First Credit Union donates funds directly to support student-athlete scholarships.

Worster (Missoula, Mont.) recorded a near-triple-double this week as Utah State split a pair of Mountain West road games at UNLV with a 59-56 loss and an 83-74 win. In the first game, Worster finished with nine points, three rebounds, two steals and one assist, shooting 40.0 percent (4-of-10) from the floor and 20.0 percent (1-of-5) from behind the 3-point line.

In the second game, Worster flirted with a triple-double, finishing with 19 points, nine rebounds, nine assists and coupled that performance with three steals. Worster finished the game shooting 53.8 percent (7-of-13) from the floor, 20.0 percent (1-of-5) from behind the 3-point line and 100.0 percent (4-of-4) at the free throw line.

For the week, Worster averaged 14.0 points, 6.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.5 steals per game, while shooting 47.8 percent (11-of-23) from the floor, 20.0 percent (2-of-10) from behind the arc and 80.0 percent (4-of-5) at the free throw line."

For season, having started all 18 games:

28 minutes, 42% shooting, 25% from 3, 87% from line, 10 points per game, 3.8 rebounds per game. 63 assists, 48 TO, 20 steals. 1st, 1st and 3d on team in those 3 stats.

Team is 13-5 and 10-2 in conference.

Very good stats for a true frosh.

wyomingriz said:
Hoops watcher said:

can you read? Didn't say anything about Darko or Evans just about the kid a mile from campus. Not sure if you understand the word "citation" as this is a message board dumba$$. However, since you ask, i do have direct knowledge with Darko-Kelly and Rollie... Decquire requested Rollie not play football his senior year which led to him withdrawing. Darko-Kelly only wiff was from Western out of high school then transferred to Providence 2 years ago, before he transferred me made a run at Griz who had no interest... All i know about Evans is his dad was a Griz and he signed with Rocky before NIC. I would make crazy guess that he would choose Griz over Rocky?

I will concur with your info on Rollie, I heard the same from a source close to Rollie. I will admit that Rollie may have been looking for a way out of his UM commitment, but that is in fact the tipping point: he wanted to play his senior year of football and go to football summer camps, and Travis was adamant that he not. This travesty upset UM's No1 assistant Chris Cobb to the point thinking of looking for other jobs, but I am not sure he followed through with that to any extent.

I know for a fact that Darko-Kelly wanted to come home to Missoula after he blew up in the Frontier Conference and on a national level in NAIA ball. If Travis had him this year, all of the sudden the Griz don't have the problem of such young roster.

It seems that DeCuire may be too much of a "my way or the highway" guy. Didn't something like this happen with the guy who went to Wash St?

I guess the highline is just far enough away for Decuire? I added Rhett's weight as I know that's important to a lot of folks on this Board...

YITB

Latest posts

Back