• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

An update from Travis DeCuire

Colter_Nuanez56

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1330214662168846342

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mCVaCMeUvY&feature=youtu.be

Always look forward to these chats with Travis. Beyond being a basketball coach, and talking in "coach-speak," he's a thoughtful articulate man. If experience is the greatest teacher, Travis has had a lifetime of it, both from basketball and from the simple act of being a black man in this society. That wisdom comes through every time he speaks. In another incarnation, he could be a motivational speaker.

At the same time, when it comes to Griz basketball, if you're hoping for nuggets of SPECIFIC information about the team, listening to him speak for an hour can be like rooting through your penny jar looking for the occasional quarter or dime. I come away with something, but yearn for more.

As for "something": "Bus'trip" schools like Gonzaga, Wyoming and Colorado State are afraid to play us...It takes a minimum number of games to quality for the Big Dance, and though we have a schedule, some of those games may not be played due to Covid so additional games may be scheduled in-season...The team is behind schedule as to fitness, and there have been some injuries--though he hopes everybody will be ready for the SC game next Saturday...Without a charter jet, like some teams have, air travel can be difficult, and you can't stop to eat while waiting for connecting flights. And if a player contracts Covid while on a trip, the protocol for dealing with that is not clear (something I never thought about.)

As for "yearned for more:" What's up with the eight-man rotation this year? Travis hinted he might have to lengthen the rotation due to Covid, but in another breath indicated it would be fight to get into that eight-man rotation. Which is it? And why is he set on an eight-man rotation in the first place? (This has always been one of my differences with him on coaching philosophy.) I wish one of the reporters had drilled down more on this.

He hints that there are some players on this team playing at a "high-level." And that while our great freshman class from last year has improved, there have been practises where the newcomers have outshone them. Okay. And yet in one hour, there was not to my memory one mention of one player on the entire team, by name. Could we get even ONE little tease of a player who has shown the most improvement, or a newcomer who has played so far better than expected? Anything? Nope, that's not Travis's style.

On this board there has been a lot of speculation about one thing: Shooting ability. When you lose your top three scorers, who accounted for 43 points per game of the 70.8 per that you scored during the year, you have to ask, "Where are the points going to come from? Who are the shooters? Who takes the last shot? That question was never answered--for one simple reason: It was never asked.

And of the reputed great shooters on this year's team, one is missing: Hunter Clarke. Okay, he's reported to be joining the team soon. But will it be too late for him to have a role on this team?

And finally, if every player automatically has a redshirt year, does this mean you will not be redshirting anybody? Or does a redshirt year still fit into the equation?

I know Travis is a thoughtful, deliberative, cautious guy, especially in front of the press. But it seems to me there were a lot of issues missed here, questions not asked. Hopefully, if the game is still on in this now "purple" Covid state, we'll find out soon enough, on Pac-12 TV, at 2.p. next Saturday.

I can hardly wait.

citay said:
Always look forward to these chats with Travis. Beyond being a basketball coach, and talking in "coach-speak," he's a thoughtful articulate man. If experience is the greatest teacher, Travis has had a lifetime of it, both from basketball and from the simple act of being a black man in this society. That wisdom comes through every time he speaks. In another incarnation, he could be a motivational speaker.

At the same time, when it comes to Griz basketball, if you're hoping for nuggets of SPECIFIC information about the team, listening to him speak for an hour can be like rooting through your penny jar looking for the occasional quarter or dime. I come away with something, but yearn for more.

As for "something": "Bus'trip" schools like Gonzaga, Wyoming and Colorado State are afraid to play us...It takes a minimum number of games to quality for the Big Dance, and though we have a schedule, some of those games may not be played due to Covid so additional games may be scheduled in-season...The team is behind schedule as to fitness, and there have been some injuries--though he hopes everybody will be ready for the SC game next Saturday...Without a charter jet, like some teams have, air travel can be difficult, and you can't stop to eat while waiting for connecting flights. And if a player contracts Covid while on a trip, the protocol for dealing with that is not clear (something I never thought about.)

As for "yearned for more:" What's up with the eight-man rotation this year? Travis hinted he might have to lengthen the rotation due to Covid, but in another breath indicated it would be fight to get into that eight-man rotation. Which is it? And why is he set on an eight-man rotation in the first place? (This has always been one of my differences with him on coaching philosophy.) I wish one of the reporters had drilled down more on this.

He hints that there are some players on this team playing at a "high-level." And that while our great freshman class from last year has improved, there have been practises where the newcomers have outshone them. Okay. And yet in one hour, there was not to my memory one mention of one player on the entire team, by name. Could we get even ONE little tease of a player who has shown the most improvement, or a newcomer who has played so far better than expected? Anything? Nope, that's not Travis's style.

On this board there has been a lot of speculation about one thing: Shooting ability. When you lose your top three scorers, who accounted for 43 points per game of the 70.8 per that you scored during the year, you have to ask, "Where are the points going to come from? Who are the shooters? Who takes the last shot? That question was never answered--for one simple reason: It was never asked.

And of the reputed great shooters on this year's team, one is missing: Hunter Clarke. Okay, he's reported to be joining the team soon. But will it be too late for him to have a role on this team?

And finally, if every player automatically has a redshirt year, does this mean you will not be redshirting anybody? Or does a redshirt year still fit into the equation?

I know Travis is a thoughtful, deliberative, cautious guy, especially in front of the press. But it seems to me there were a lot of issues missed here, questions not asked. Hopefully, if the game is still on in this now "purple" Covid state, we'll find out soon enough, on Pac-12 TV, at 2.p. next Saturday.

I can hardly wait.

I totally agree! He was a bit more specific and mentioned some names on the podcast. https://bit.ly/2UBi32i

citay said:
It is my understanding this is a “free” year for everyone and not a redshirt year. So regardless of how much Clarke plays or doesn’t play this year, he will be a freshman athletically in 21-22 and still have an available redshirt to use.

Because of this, I would expect that everyone that is healthy enough will at least get mop-up when available.

citay said:

I can hardly wait.

Thank you and agree with the 8 man rotation but.....TD has forgotten more about BB than I will ever know.

The way I look at it is the only thing that is certain this season is uncertainty. I can't get too concerned about Coach D keeping his cards close to the vest. Jacked about seeing the lads take the court this week, should give us all a better idea where the squad is at. Only two days and it's Yardbird Day, the start of the holidays and a time for joy (unless you're the bird).

maroonandsilver said:
GrizSteve said:
Gonzaga is afraid to play us? Have we come within 30 points of them in the last 20 years?
Griz lost by 3 in Spokane in2015.

And were up by 1 with 59 seconds to play against the #20 team in the land. They haven’t played us since.

AZGrizFan said:
maroonandsilver said:
Griz lost by 3 in Spokane in2015.

And were up by 1 with 59 seconds to play against the #20 team in the land. They haven’t played us since.

Another in a long line of ifs and butts games for Griz basketball over the years. The upset wins can be counted on one hand......the coulda mighta shoulda almostas on both hands and feet. Even the most famous game in program history back in 1975. Hope they can get one of the 4 this year and glad Gonzaga isn't on the schedule.

Mousegriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Another in a long line of ifs and butts games for Griz basketball over the years. The upset wins can be counted on one hand......the coulda mighta shoulda almostas on both hands and feet. Even the most famous game in program history back in 1975. Hope they can get one of the 4 this year and glad Gonzaga isn't on the schedule.

I agree with you Mouse. To be expected when you move up in class against an opponent on their home court or home field. BUT: Here are some games throughout Griz history that we have won and I know we won because....I was there.
Football: Oregon State. Don't remember the year--1990?-- but I went with my sister and we sat next to a very nice lady who said her son was red-shirting for the Griz that year. I asked her to point him out and she did, a monster standing in street clothes behind the Montana bench. That was my introduction to Scott Gragg. We won, 22-15.
Basketball: Oregon. 2009-10. Went with my nephew who would go on to attend Oregon. But we had Brian Qvale and Will Cherry, and we won that game, 68-55.
Basketball: Stanford, 2002-03. Pat Kennedy was the coach. Won a squeaker 70-68.
Basketball: UCLA. Ah, my all-time favorite game. Went with my Tarheel buddy who lives in Santa Monica. Certainly Montana could not beat UCLA, as my arrogant Tarheel bud kept reminding me. But we did. And badly. It was pretty much a 20-point route until UCLA cut into the final margin a bit, final 66-57. We had the best center on the court (Qvale), the best point guard (Will Cherry) and two other talented studs, Kareem Jamaar and Derek Selvig. That was one helluva Montana team.
Okay, so that's still only one hand. But when it does happen, it's extra sweet.

Hell last year alone there were 5-6 play-up games we were in until the last 5 minutes. Either depth or foul trouble or conditioning always seemed to get the best of us in that last 300 seconds.

Back