• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

National letter of intent day.

flatheadgriz406 said:
This has been the quietest recruiting of all time for the Decure regime.

Also, the NCAA passed a rule allowing all D-1 transfers immediate eligibility. The ultimate free agency is coming this spring. Why take a HS kid when you will have a chance to get proven D-1 talent at positions of immediate need?

GrizBall said:
flatheadgriz406 said:
This has been the quietest recruiting of all time for the Decure regime.

Also, the NCAA passed a rule allowing all D-1 transfers immediate eligibility. The ultimate free agency is coming this spring. Why take a HS kid when you will have a chance to get proven D-1 talent at positions of immediate need?

Fair point, it's still a youngish group. Losing two seniors plus any of the usual turnover means there may well be a place for a plug and play transfer or two. We'll soon see how ready the young core is.

I agree on searching for transfers but how do you not have any recruits in a class. If there is one thing they have done well as a staff is bringing guys in and developing them over their career. A mix of both seems like the way to go. Not saying they won't have any frosh. This has been a crazy year to say the least.

Hoops watcher said:
GrizBall said:

Fair point, it's still a youngish group. Losing two seniors plus any of the usual turnover means there may well be a place for a plug and play transfer or two. We'll soon see how ready the young core is.

The NCAA passed a rule that this year will not count towards eligibility, so losing two seniors is not a given. In theory the entire team could return next year, although I doubt Satterwhite and Steadman will return as they have already graduated and both have redshirted so likely would not want to spend a 6th year in college.

flatheadgriz406 said:
I agree on searching for transfers but how do you not have any recruits in a class. If there is one thing they have done well as a staff is bringing guys in and developing them over their career. A mix of both seems like the way to go. Not saying they won't have any frosh. This has been a crazy year to say the least.

I think part of the issue is that this year you don’t know how many spots will be open next year (everyone was granted a free year of eligibility this year), the coaches have not been able to go on the road since March to recruit and there were no spring or summer AAU events for coaches to really evaluate HS players.

Your theory is well-reasoned, however I slightly disagree. Unless you have a freshman you think can come in and contribute right away, I would rather have two-years of a guy I have seen against D-1 competition than 4 years of a guy that you may have to wait for and not sure ultimately how much the freshman will ever produce. You limit your risk this way.

The exception to that thought would be big men. I would take some chances on high school big men who typically develop later.

GrizBall said:
Hoops watcher said:

The NCAA passed a rule that this year will not count towards eligibility, so losing two seniors is not a given. In theory the entire team could return next year, although I doubt Satterwhite and Steadman will return as they have already graduated and both have redshirted so likely would not want to spend a 6th year in college.

Thanks, didn't realize it applied to 5th year guys. I'm with you on them probably being ready to move on though.

GrizBall said:
flatheadgriz406 said:

I think part of the issue is that this year you don’t know how many spots will be open next year (everyone was granted a free year of eligibility this year), the coaches have not been able to go on the road since March to recruit and there were no spring or summer AAU events for coaches to really evaluate HS players.

Your theory is well-reasoned, however I slightly disagree. Unless you have a freshman you think can come in and contribute right away, I would rather have two-years of a guy I have seen against D-1 competition than 4 years of a guy that you may have to wait for and not sure ultimately how much the freshman will ever produce. You limit your risk this way.

The exception to that thought would be big men. I would take some chances on high school big men who typically develop later.

This really might result in a year of lost opportunity nationwide for a lot of incoming freshmen. Have to see down the road.

Confirmed with sources connected to the program that Montana will not sign anyone this period:

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1327307354430271488

Latest posts

Back