• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MOST....

citygriz

Great group picture up on GogGriz:
https://gogriz.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Missing Hunter Clarke and Peter Jones.

In an effort to stir up some interest on this board, I'd like to start a "Most" thread. Which can be whatever you want it to be:
--Most intriguing freshman;
--Most improved player;
--Most valuable player.

But here's my first entry: Most Mysterious Player.

This for me would be Freddy Brown. After putting up eye-popping numbers--28.7 ppg, 8.4 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 2.4 steals--as a senior in one of Seattle's most competitive high school leagues, he's languished for two years in our program, becoming a forgotten man. Is he ready for a breakout year? Will he redeem his vaunted three-point shooting reputation that arrived in tandem with his legendary grandpa's name? Sure looks from the pix that he's added strength since he arrival here.

citay said:

In an effort to stir up some interest on this board, I'd like to start a "Most" thread. Which can be whatever you want it to be:
--Most improved player;
--Most valuable player.

This for me would be Freddy Brown. After putting up eye-popping numbers--28.7 ppg, 8.4 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 2.4 steals--as a senior in one of Seattle's most competitive high school leagues, he's languished for two years in our program, becoming a forgotten man. Is he ready for a breakout year? Will he redeem his vaunted three-point shooting reputation that arrived in tandem with his legendary grandpa's name? Sure looks from the pix that he's added strength since he arrival here.

RE Mr. Brown. I also thought he'd have more impact. The Metro is one of the top ten leagues in the country, not just Seattle. 20+ guys in the NBA in the last 25 years.

Intriguing: Guys from Oz to see how their skills translate, more skilled than Kryslo rumor has it.
Improved: Mr. Egun if he can relax and unleash his talent instead of thinking too much.
MVP: DJ, he can do it all, I see a monster career soaring this year after being impactful as 3rd or 4th option last year.

citay said:

--Most improved player;
--Most valuable player.

Most Intriguing Freshman: Brandon Whitney. You can't teach quickness. (But the comment about Bannan being ahead of Krsko is in itself intriguing.)

Most Improved Player: Tossup for me among Brown, Eddy Egun and Kyle Owens. I think all three have tremendous upside.

MVP: Gotta go with DCH. He looks beastly this year.

Most Intriguing Transfer: I'm assuming Parker is as good as advertised so I'm going with Henderson.

Biggest mystery: Where is Hunter Clarke?

citay said:
citay said:

--Most improved player;
--Most valuable player.

Most Intriguing Freshman: Brandon Whitney. You can't teach quickness. (But the comment about Bannan being ahead of Krsko is in itself intriguing.)

Most Improved Player: Tossup for me among Brown, Eddy Egun and Kyle Owens. I think all three have tremendous upside.

Most Intriguing Transfer: I'm assuming Parker is as good as advertised so I'm going with Henderson.

He said Kryslo, not Krsko. Aussie thing. But I heard great things about them.

fanofzoo said:
Sooo many new faces, ready for Eddy

Just for grins I checked Basketball reference, last year we had 40% of the scoring returning, this season only 28% :eek: . Anyone's guess how roles will shape up along with chemistry . We have the right guy steering the ship so I'm eagerly awaiting the games.

astutegriz said:
citay said:

Got it.

astutegriz said:
citay said:

Yessir, I'd read that the Oz duo were on a national squad so was surmising their ball skills were more advanced than Fab. Fab is one of my favorite Griz ever, his improvement over his career and how he squeezed every drop out of his talent is a fond memory. If Bannan has his (or Larry K's) drive and tenacity he'll be a keeper.

Hoops watcher said:
astutegriz said:

Yessir, I'd read that the Oz duo were on a national squad so was surmising their ball skills were more advanced than Fab. Fab is one of my favorite Griz ever, his improvement over his career and how he squeezed every drop out of his talent is a fond memory. If Bannan has his (or Larry K's) drive and tenacity he'll be a keeper.

Given Larry is arguably the most driven and tenacious player we've had, that is a tall order. Regardless, I've heard Bannan's a legit NBA possibility - more so than others this past decade, which is saying a lot. But it is early and that is potential. High, high potential with Clarke as well.

Hoops watcher said:
fanofzoo said:
Sooo many new faces, ready for Eddy

Just for grins I checked Basketball reference, last year we had 40% of the scoring returning, this season only 28% :eek: . Anyone's guess how roles will shape up along with chemistry . We have the right guy steering the ship so I'm eagerly awaiting the games.

This is a good stat, but it is somewhat deceiving based on the number of D-1 transfers eligible this year. There is a little over 30 D-1 Ppg coming in this year that wasn’t on the team last year. How does that reconcile with the previous year?

GrizBall said:
Hoops watcher said:

This is a good stat, but it is somewhat deceiving based on the number of D-1 transfers eligible this year. There is a little over 30 D-1 Ppg coming in this year that wasn’t on the team last year. How does that reconcile with the previous year?

Was going to mention that for obvious reasons. Guess my point was more that fans knew a lot of offense was going to come from Manuel and Pridgett and this year who knows. I thought Gaskin might be a scorer. Maybe we have 5 or 6 guys average around 10 a game this season, be fun to see the big picture develop.

astutegriz said:
Hoops watcher said:

Given Larry is arguably the most driven and tenacious player we've had, that is a tall order. Regardless, I've heard Bannan's a legit NBA possibility - more so than others this past decade, which is saying a lot. But it is early and that is potential. High, high potential with Clarke as well.

Maybe Larry K was a bad comparison, lol, Fab lacked that kind of talent. We always used to cringe when he was fed in the post his first couple seasons as he had hands of stone and it often didn't end well. By his senior year he became a reliable and pretty efficient post option when needed and always played his grinding D. DJ seems to have that bulldog mindset (with talent), we'll find out who the other candidates for that club are soon I reckon.

Hoops watcher said:
GrizBall said:

Was going to mention that for obvious reasons. Guess my point was more that fans knew a lot of offense was going to come from Manuel and Pridgett and this year who knows. I thought Gaskin might be a scorer. Maybe we have 5 or 6 guys average around 10 a game this season, be fun to see the big picture develop.

You make a great point and out one of my 2 biggest concerns this year:

1. When you absolutely need to get a bucket, who will that be? Score is tied with 10 seconds left who do you call the play for? Last year you knew you had Pridgett. This year I have no clue. My gut would say Steadman, but a lot of times it needs to be someone that can make a play for themselves or others with the ball depending on the defense. Harder to do that with a big man.

2. Three-point and perimeter shooting. Is there a proven consistent knockdown shooter on this team?

GrizBall said:
Hoops watcher said:

1. When you absolutely need to get a bucket, who will that be? Score is tied with 10 seconds left who do you call the play for? Last year you knew you had Pridgett. This year I have no clue. My gut would say Steadman, but a lot of times it needs to be someone that can make a play for themselves or others with the ball depending on the defense. Harder to do that with a big man.

2. Three-point and perimeter shooting. Is there a proven consistent knockdown shooter on this team?

Right this minute I would go to C-H

GrizBall said:
Hoops watcher said:

Falls and Gaskins.

PlayerRep said:
GrizBall said:

Falls and Gaskins.

In the sum the answers are:

1. Someone who had never played a college game and is no longer on the team.

2. Someone who averaged 6.6ppg last year and is no longer on the team.

3. Someone who averaged 6.7ppg last year and in terms of FGA was the 5th option.

Not criticizing because I don’t have an answer, but I think I have a point.

GrizBall said:
PlayerRep said:
Falls and Gaskins.

In the sum the answers are:

1. Someone who had never played a college game and is no longer on the team.

2. Someone who averaged 6.6ppg last year and is no longer on the team.

3. Someone who averaged 6.7ppg last year and in terms of FGA was the 5th option.

Not criticizing because I don’t have an answer, but I think I have a point.

Vasquez shot well from 3 after a horrid non-conference start, DJ hit a nice pct on limited attempts. Owens is capable, the Oz boys look like they have nice strokes and the young Cali lads were scorers. I'd agree that until the games begin your point about "proven" shooters and a go to scorer is well taken. Lots of potential but even more questions than last pre season. Coach did well to bring in a few vets to steady the ship which should help, they should be solid on D but I bet it takes time for an offensive flow to develop. Harder to do early with a limited pre conference slate. I'm expecting some early lumps, hopefully we'll get to see things shape up. Who knows with the Bat Soup Flu.

Most excited to watch.....

Steadman. He seriously had a chance to be an absolute game changer for the Griz. We haven’t had a true Big like him for a long time. He may seriously have a shot at player of the year.

Back