• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

HELLO, ANYBODY OUT THERE?

Sport

Just checking in to see if my egriz basketball site was still working? Can’t believe there has not been a post since Tuesday, 3 days and no insults, rants or rumors about who’s leaving or who was seen downtown buying chocolate chip cookies at the Cookie Palace.
Come on basketball fans let’s get some excitement going for the upcoming season.

Sport said:
Just checking in to see if my egriz basketball site was still working? Can’t believe there has not been a post since Tuesday, 3 days and no insults, rants or rumors about who’s leaving or who was seen downtown buying chocolate chip cookies at the Cookie Palace.
Come on basketball fans let’s get some excitement going for the upcoming season.

Been thinking the same thing & I for one am out here but waiting for something!

I was crazy excited about this season--the one we've been pointing to ever since DeCuire took over. Where all the parts were in place--a legit big; stellar true freshmen becoming sophomores; a potential star coming off a redshirt year; exciting recruits joining the mix.

Potential and excitement around here like Fourth of July fireworks. Our year, for sure.

And then the virus crept in. Just a few cases, soon to be zero--or so we were told.

Wrong!

So we shut 'er all down, and got it under control. At last, it was time to "open back up."

I was fully on board with that, believe me. My business is on a ventilator. Screw these mayors who could blithely shut things down while they kept their cushy jobs. The hell with these health experts we never voted for. Who were they to tell me what to do? Besides, didn't we now have masks? Weren't we "social distancing?" And washing our hands every three minutes?

Yup. It was time to open back up!

But now? Now I'm not so sure. Are you?

Are you sure there's going to be a football season? And even if there is, even it turns out we can be outdoors with little worry about a virus, is the same true for indoors? For basketball?

Even pro basketball players, guys who've been pointed to the NBA since they were grade-schoolers, guys who know little else but hoops, who were eager to play even if there weren't crowds--now suddenly aren't so eager to play. Kyrie Irving is leading a revolt to shut it down completely, and the movement may be gaining strength.

And even if they play, it won't be in front of fans. It'll be "made for TV."

My Carolina buddy thinks the same will be true for major college basketball as well--no fans, TV only.

But what about us mid-majors without TV contracts? What about us?"

"Montana's got short-wave radio!" my buddy chided me.

So what? So this: I believe I'm tempering my enthusiasm. Deliberately. To be surprised if we have a season rather than deflated if we don't.

Cause right now it all comes down to one thing: A vaccine. Until we get that, Covad is boss.

We can only keep our fingers crossed.

citay said:
I was crazy excited about this season--the one we've been pointing to ever since DeCuire took over. Where all the parts were in place--a legit big; stellar true freshmen becoming sophomores; a potential star coming off a redshirt year; exciting recruits joining the mix.

Potential and excitement around here like Fourth of July fireworks. Our year, for sure.

And then the virus crept in. Just a few cases, soon to be zero--or so we were told.

Wrong!

So we shut 'er all down, and got it under control. At last, it was time to "open back up."

I was fully on board with that, believe me. My business is on a ventilator. Screw these mayors who could blithely shut things down while they kept their cushy jobs. The hell with these health experts we never voted for. Who were they to tell me what to do? Besides, didn't we now have masks? Weren't we "social distancing?" And washing our hands every three minutes?

Yup. It was time to open back up!

But now? Now I'm not so sure. Are you?

Are you sure there's going to be a football season? And even if there is, even it turns out we can be outdoors with little worry about a virus, is the same true for indoors? For basketball?

Even pro basketball players, guys who've been pointed to the NBA since they were grade-schoolers, guys who know little else but hoops, who were eager to play even if there weren't crowds--now suddenly aren't so eager to play. Kyrie Irving is leading a revolt to shut it down completely, and the movement may be gaining strength.

And even if they play, it won't be in front of fans. It'll be "made for TV."

My Carolina buddy thinks the same will be true for major college basketball as well--no fans, TV only.

But what about us mid-majors without TV contracts? What about us?"

"Montana's got short-wave radio!" my buddy chided me.

So what? So this: I believe I'm tempering my enthusiasm. Deliberately. To be surprised if we have a season rather than deflated if we don't.

Cause right now it all comes down to one thing: A vaccine. Until we get that, Covad is boss.

We can only keep our fingers crossed.

and the way I read the tea leaves says maybe January

Gee Citay I was looking for something a little more positive. Maybe we should all go back to our corners and sulk? Until this past week or so I was hopeful for a season even if it the arena was half full. Come to think of it that has been pretty normal the last few years. But it’s a damn shame, we as fans are disappointed think about the players who may never play collegiate bb again. The recent surge in covid cases has made the possibility of the football season being cancelled as well. However I think part of that increase is due to a greater number of testing being done. Who knows, the whole fucking world is going to hell in a hand basket. Which begs the question, what the hell does “going to hell in a hand basket” really mean and what’s the origin of that saying? We might as well debate that while we wait for the world to self district. And there’s another one, “while we wait for the world to self destruct “. Someone explain that one to me.

With the power conferences focusing more upon playing other Power teams, the low majors have a problem in scheduling. Montana might be having problems in getting those games that pay for the trips to Greeley, at al. I hope the coach and AD, if they can't schedule "up" this coming season, which is already shaping up to be a strange one, then they can get UM into some major preseason and mid season tournaments or match ups, like the MVC V Big Sky, Big West, V Big Sky, or good quality tournaments like Chaminade. Just a thought.

GrizLA said:
With the power conferences focusing more upon playing other Power teams, the low majors have a problem in scheduling. Montana might be having problems in getting those games that pay for the trips to Greeley, at al. I hope the coach and AD, if they can't schedule "up" this coming season, which is already shaping up to be a strange one, then they can get UM into some major preseason and mid season tournaments or match ups, like the MVC V Big Sky, Big West, V Big Sky, or good quality tournaments like Chaminade. Just a thought.

Thinking tournaments might be risky places to play. :(

fanofzoo said:
GrizLA said:

Thinking tournaments might be risky places to play. :(

Every place is a risky place to play. But, at a tournament, there is less travel, so maybe a little less risk there.

Anymore schedule rumors? I know we play Arizona as one of our PAC 12 games, we got the non-conference home tournament this year, we play at NDSU and host SDSU as part of the big sky summit league challenge. Anybody know of anything else?

Griz til I die said:
Anymore schedule rumors? I know we play Arizona as one of our PAC 12 games, we got the non-conference home tournament this year, we play at NDSU and host SDSU as part of the big sky summit league challenge. Anybody know of anything else?

According to the site D1 Docket they will also play North Dakota at North Dakota.

Griz til I die said:

SMU

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1273270665534152705?s=21

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:

SMU

Beat me to it. That’s a very winnable game though.

Griz til I die said:
GrizBall said:
SMU

Beat me to it. That’s a very winnable game though.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/04/30/aac-basketball-way-early-power-rankings-2020-21-season/9/

This is an extremely tough game. All returning starters from a 19 win team. 2 front court players that declared for the NBA draft and a tough returning backcourt. On the road.

I think it shows the confidence that Coach DeCuire has in this team that he is willing to schedule tough teams.

This will be a fun season.

Griz til I die said:

https://twitter.com/ndsumbb/status/1273705336747237376?s=21

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:

I would expect the UND game to be either two days before or after that game. Take one big tour of North Dakota and save money by not going out there twice.

Griz til I die said:
GrizBall said:
I would expect the UND game to be either two days before or after that game. Take one big tour of North Dakota and save money by not going out there twice.

That makes a lot a sense. My guess is it would have to be before because I believe the Arizona game is 12/22.

This scenario is not out of the realm of possibility:

https://twitter.com/jeffculhane/status/1273706282659307520?s=21

Back