• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz

citygriz

I'm on record as hoping Shannon gets another year. She's got a solid building block in Jamie Pickens, some quality returning talent, and a couple of exciting recruits coming in. If we can avoid the injury jinx, we should have a good year next year.

At the same time, Kent Haslam needs to factor in two major concerns about the program.

--A rising coaching star at rival Montana State. Tricia Binford took on a legend in Robin Selvig but is now creating her own legend as the Lady Bobs replace Montana as the class of the Big Sky. Her incoming recruiting class is dynamite. And she just got an early commitment from 6'6" Lindsy Hein out of Forsythe who had several D1 offers, including us. She's slight but has great low-post moves, and looks to me to be a potential star.

--Last year's Lady Bobcats had three African-American players--as many as we've had in the entire HISTORY of our program. Plus they have an African-American assistant coach. I was hoping Shannon would change this situation when she took over, but she has not. If Haslam doesn't address this deficiency it will doom us to middle-of-the-conference mediocrity--in other words, where we are right now.

citay said:
I'm on record as hoping Shannon gets another year. She's got a solid building block in Jamie Pickens, some quality returning talent, and a couple of exciting recruits coming in. If we can avoid the injury jinx, we should have a good year next year.

At the same time, Kent Haslam needs to factor in two major concerns about the program.

--A rising coaching star at rival Montana State. Tricia Binford took on a legend in Robin Selvig but is now creating her own legend as the Lady Bobs replace Montana as the class of the Big Sky. Her incoming recruiting class is dynamite. And she just got an early commitment from 6'6" Lindsy Hein out of Forsythe who had several D1 offers, including us. She's slight but has great low-post moves, and looks to me to be a potential star.

--Last year's Lady Bobcats had three African-American players--as many as we've had in the entire HISTORY of our program. Plus they have an African-American assistant coach. I was hoping Shannon would change this situation when she took over, but she has not. If Haslam doesn't address this deficiency it will doom us to middle-of-the-conference mediocrity--in other words, where we are right now.

Good post. I too hope Shannon is renewed as coach. I believe she is now on track.

The irony of your "rising coaching star" is that Binford was essentially standing with one foot out the door at MSU. Not to climb the ladder but because they were about to fire her after a series of disappointing years. She is certainly looking great now but she was right on the verge of being a former head coach.

I believe this is where Shannon is today. Give her a three year deal and she will have the Lady Griz competing for the conference again.

Last year I started joining the conversation because of what I saw what was happening in the program. Years of girls getting torn up and tossed aside by Shannon. She does not mentor nor does she inspire her girls. Also I don't like the fact that so many girls leave. I am just wondering what the ratio of girls leaving to ones who make it through is. How many leave this spring or during season next year? If you are "OK" with this then Shannon is your pick. Hard to develop a team under those circumstances. I am there for the girls playing. Never because Shannon was a great player.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
fanofzoo said:
AZGrizFan said:
I don’t care what color they are. We need to up the talent level.

above Sentinel HS. :roll:

Just think its funny he equates MSU’s success with having three black girls on the team. :?

That is how he equates success no matter the program.

This is a serious issue. I hope Kent Haslam is on it. Please read this story:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1997-03-31-9703310172-story.html

citay said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
fanofzoo said:
above Sentinel HS. :roll:

Just think its funny he equates MSU’s success with having three black girls on the team. :?

Did I miss the part that ensured success?

Read your article on diversity. I don't disagree with your point about recruiting. I would say Shannon has been the primary recruiter for years even for Rob. Unlikely that Shannon could keep them here once she gets them. Just looking at the track record.

I am not in favor of giving Shannon another contract. Stitt got 3 years, why should she get more then that? Not to mention her injury rate is through the roof. I’ve also heard from several sources that it’s a very toxic locker room. Time for something new.

grizindabox said:
citay said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:

No, success is never promised to anybody. The point is, not recruiting African-Americans assures failure.

Can you possibly imagine where our Men's program would be with all the great African-American talent we have--and have had through the years?

By the way: This message from a white kid from Helena.

Griz til I die said:
I am not in favor of giving Shannon another contract. Stitt got 3 years, why should she get more then that? Not to mention her injury rate is through the roof. I’ve also heard from several sources that it’s a very toxic locker room. Time for something new.

I live in the Missoula community and I have seen at various times the girls sharing time with each other outside the gym. Also watching the bench players is fun because (for the most part) they share in each others success. The girls support each other. So a toxic locker room between the girls is not what I have observed.
If that's what sources say. Then exactly where is the toxic nature coming from. Although I think most people know the answer.
Shannon might be able to fix a lot of this.
If she could see life from her players perspective.
If she gets her contract renewed.
If she valued the girls that play for her.
If the girls stay to develop.

citay said:
grizindabox said:
citay said:
grizindabox said:

No, success is never promised to anybody. The point is, not recruiting African-Americans assures failure.

Can you possibly imagine where our Men's program would be with all the great African-American talent we have--and have had through the years?

So 4th in the BSC, and finishing better than schools that do have "African-Americans" is considered failure?

grizindabox said:
citay said:
grizindabox said:
citay said:

So 4th in the BSC, and finishing better than schools that do have "African-Americans" is considered failure?

Absolutely! Finishing fourth, then getting beat in the first round of the tournament, when we used to dominate this conference--where have you been? How long have you been a Lady Griz fan? Oh, and here's a link to the player that Shannon said killed us in that first round loss:14 points and ten rebounds.
https://nauathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/khiarica-rasheed/4246

citay said:
grizindabox said:
citay said:
grizindabox said:

Absolutely! Finishing fourth, then getting beat in the first round of the tournament, when we used to dominate this conference--where have you been? How long have you been a Lady Griz fan? Oh, and here's a link to the player that Shannon said killed us in that first round loss:14 points and ten rebounds.
https://nauathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/khiarica-rasheed/4246

I get it, you are living in the past. You do realize that Selvig finished 5th 3X and 4th 1X in his last 6 years. The talent in the program was regressing well before Shannon took over. The difference is Robin could coach, and got some less talented teams through the conference tournament while Shannon can't. This is more about talent than skin color, with maybe even coaching mixed in. So my point, UM needs to recruit better, and it is not all about the number of "African-Americans" on the roster.

ThinkingGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

I live in the Missoula community and I have seen at various times the girls sharing time with each other outside the gym. Also watching the bench players is fun because (for the most part) they share in each others success. The girls support each other. So a toxic locker room between the girls is not what I have observed.
If that's what sources say. Then exactly where is the toxic nature coming from. Although I think most people know the answer.
Shannon might be able to fix a lot of this.
If she could see life from her players perspective.
If she gets her contract renewed.
If she valued the girls that play for her.
If the girls stay to develop.
Maybe I didn’t phrase that all that well. It’s a toxic locker room between the players and coaches. There were some altercations between players last year but most of those players that caused problems transferred. From what I’ve heard, the players just don’t have a lot of respect for the coaches.

citay said:
grizindabox said:
citay said:
grizindabox said:

Do you know that the LG don't recruit blacks?

It seems to me that it's way easier for male blacks to come play basketball and football in Missoula, than for black women to come play hoops. My guess is that the problem is not lack of recruiting; it's lack of recruits wanting to come to Missoula. But I don't know, and have never asked anyone who would know.

Back