• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAA Granting Extra Eligibility

PeauxRouge

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/coronavirus-ncaa-grant-extra-year-eligibility-spring-athletes/

Sounds like it's more for spring sports but what kind of cluster will this create with recruiting and scholarship numbers? Will they give a temporary scholarship exception for those that are going to come back next season? (I realize most of basketball will probably not get an exception.)

Fact is, a full regular season was played for all DIV 1 basketball teams. I hate to say it, but they shouldn't be given an extra year of eligibility. Current SR's can still be a grad transfer. As much I would love to see any combination of Pridgett, Manuel, and Samuelson back, I feel it's not right to grant eligibility to basketball players. As for the Springs sports such as Softball, baseball, etc........I think it is fair.

Granted, I feel terribly bad for Manuel, Pridgett, and Samuelson, seeing their careers possibly end without the chance to get back to the NCAA Tournament. Man, how loaded would next year's GRIZ be with any combination of those 3 SR's coming back for 1 more year?

Plus, a ruling like this would likely favor the bigger schools anyway. After all, they are supposed to have more talent, and that talent would be also gaining another year.

Giving seniors n extra year isn't fair to the underclassmen who would then lose a year of playing time next year. All of the basketball seniors had a year to play.

This will only be for Spring sports, so not sure why people keep referencing basketball. Softball and Baseball are the sports most impacted.

mtgrizrule said:
Fact is, a full regular season was played for all DIV 1 basketball teams. I hate to say it, but they shouldn't be given an extra year of eligibility. Current SR's can still be a grad transfer. As much I would love to see any combination of Pridgett, Manuel, and Samuelson back, I feel it's not right to grant eligibility to basketball players. As for the Springs sports such as Softball, baseball, etc........I think it is fair.

Granted, I feel terribly bad for Manuel, Pridgett, and Samuelson, seeing their careers possibly end without the chance to get back to the NCAA Tournament. Man, how loaded would next year's GRIZ be with any combination of those 3 SR's coming back for 1 more year?

Plus, a ruling like this would likely favor the bigger schools anyway. After all, they are supposed to have more talent, and that talent would be also gaining another year.

This would be a huge advantage for small schools. Power conference upperclassmen aren't going to stick around when they can make a living in the NBA or Europe, much more likely that players in Big Sky level conferences stick around for the extra year.

DPGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:

This would be a huge advantage for small schools. Power conference upperclassmen aren't going to stick around when they can make a living in the NBA or Europe, much more likely that players in Big Sky level conferences stick around for the extra year.
It would indeed be a huge advantage for small schools compared to the bigs, IMO. But that's not going to happen in BBall because, as "rule" points out, those players had a full regular season.

There is one small group of seniors who I think will be hurt the most by the cancellation of the post-season tournaments (conferences and the Big Dance): Top talents who play for obscure teams in one-bid conferences. Sure, pro talent scouts have lots of contacts, but they can't be everywhere. These post-season games are the one chance that players "in the shadows" have to showcase their talents on a big stage ... and thereby pump up their draft value. It's happened every year ... but won't this time around.

First off, let me state that I do not think this rule will be applicable to BB. But in the bizarre event that it does there would be a simple solution to the question of fairness to both seniors and underclassmen.

For each school that has senior players who elect to come back and take advantage of that rule extend scholarship and/or eligibility allowances to underclassmen who might be affected. For example, if a school has 4 seniors and two of them elect to come back under this program then that school would be allowed 2 extensions. The extensions would only be for this coming year. That way all incoming freshmen would still have all of their granted eligibility without undue harm.

It isn't going to happen though.

DPGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:

In theory I'd agree, but NBA level players are going to leave after 1 year anyway. At the Dukes and Kansas' of the world to be replaced by NBA level freshmen. So the Power Conference schools that don't have NBA talent aren't any different than smaller schools. Given there are far more of them than Kentucky or Duke I don't see a big difference, the talent level differences overall won't change significantly.

Hoops watcher said:
DPGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:

In theory I'd agree, but NBA level players are going to leave after 1 year anyway. At the Dukes and Kansas' of the world to be replaced by NBA level freshmen. So the Power Conference schools that don't have NBA talent aren't any different than smaller schools. Given there are far more of them than Kentucky or Duke I don't see a big difference, the talent level differences overall won't change significantly.
Seems to me it would be more of a change for certain players on most rosters big and small. Say you are a good player as a sophomore who is playing behind a non NBA level but very good senior and project as a two year starter. The senior returns and your window to shine just got cut in half. This would definitely alter a team dynamic more than a several dozen guys leaving for the NBA.

Back