• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Basketball: Would You Watch?

IdaGriz01

Okay. I thought about tacking this onto an existing thread, but decided it might just muddy the waters. So, for this topic, let's put aside the anguish we feel for the people who are actually afflicted with COVID-19. Let's also express our sadness on other threads for the athletes who worked so hard ... but will not have a shot at a final goal.

Now this could get a little messy, so feel free to split right now. But that being established, let's consider the economic situation. "March Madness" is the acknowledged "cash cow" for the NCAA -- they don't make diddly, in comparison, from other sources. Much as we all bitch about the NCAA, they're currently "the only game in town," and a major financial crash for them could negatively impact them (and college athletes) for years to come. And the issue of TV money (cuts) has already come up. About the only good news (if you can call it that) is that the TV sports networks also depend upon college athletics for a huge amount of content.

I'm thinking the NCAA and the TV providers are likely to work out some deal where TV (and streaming) essentially provides a lot of replays of last year's March Madness, and perhaps highlights from earlier years. Of course, some networks already do a lot of old replays, but this would be a concerted strategy to keep sponsor dollars flowing, for both the networks and the NCAA.

So here's the question: Would you watch? Maybe not everything like you might the live event, but enough to keep sponsors satisfied? Keeping in mind that the sponsors could slant their messages to highlight their sponsorship "in view of the current emergency."

No. I just have a hard time getting excited to watch old March Madness games that don't involve the Griz. If they played out Nevada upset. Maybe.

I doubt I would watch, Ida. I don't watch the NFL replays, golf tourney replays, etc. I did watch some of the Griz games we recorded this year.

PeauxRouge said:
No. I just have a hard time getting excited to watch old March Madness games that don't involve the Griz. If they played our Nevada upset. Maybe.
I suspect yours is a typical response. We would certainly watch some, in preference to the usual prime-time crap ... especially if more of the pro sports shut it down for the spring. (That's looking more and more possible.) Of course, the crucial question would be whether or not (or how much) the "average" basketball fan would watch.

Nope, Gotta move on. I am Griz, and Griz only so only watch the NCAA tournament if the Griz are in it. But I also do not live in the past either, so I likely wouldn't watch last years Griz game in the NCAA tournament. I have already seen it and know how it ends.

There is a sense of loss to have BBall suddenly cut off in all forms except high school. Was looking forward to seeing the women's NAIA championships here. At least the Player's Championship is on this weekend. Maybe golf will be gone next week. I may have to dig up my old DVDs of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge.

cclarkblues said:
There is a sense of loss to have BBall suddenly cut off in all forms except high school. Was looking forward to seeing the women's NAIA championships here. At least the Player's Championship is on this weekend. Maybe golf will be gone next week. I may have to dig up my old DVDs of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge.

I have some bad news for you

[media]https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1238286173044441088?s=21[/media]

i do love the griz said:
cclarkblues said:

I have some bad news for you

[media]https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1238286173044441088?s=21[/media]

Thanks. A little surprising they even played one day.

Come Saturday afternoon with no live sports I'd watch hoops reruns over old movies any day. That's only because it'll be too cold to golf this weekend.

The first week of April is always my favorite sports week every year. Baseball opener, NCAA Finals and The Masters. The end of the Cold and the beginning of the Warm. Going to be weird this year.

Hoops watcher said:
Come Saturday afternoon with no live sports I'd watch hoops reruns over old movies any day. That's only because it'll be too cold to golf this weekend.

The first week of April is always my favorite sports week every year. Baseball opener, NCAA Finals and The Masters. The end of the Cold and the beginning of the Warm. Going to be weird this year.

I too am ready for golf season. I made it the Canyon River driving range last weekend. 1st time hitting my new King Cobra F8 1 size irons. I did surprisingly well with them. I'm hoping it won't be a fluke. I'm itching to play. Cannot wait to move south sometime, I can only stomach winter for 2 months max. :thumb: I wouldn't mind it, if I didn't love golfing so much.

I forgot. Maybe, this would be a great opportunity to play games of the all time greats in college, then the NBA. Load up games of Jordan, Bird, Magic, Akeem, Jabbar, Chamberlain, Maravich, Russell, Worthy, Shaq, ETC. I'd watch games with any of those legends, then some. It would be great if GRIZ fans could watch the legendary GRIZ/UCLA game. Show highlights of the greatest dunks, defensive plays, upset, shooting performances etc. It would be good for the game, to introduce the current kids, teenagers, and under 30's to the likes of these legends.

mtgrizrule said:
I forgot. Maybe, this would be a great opportunity to play games of the all time greats in college, then the NBA. Load up games of Jordan, Bird, Magic, Akeem, Jabbar, Chamberlain, Maravich, Russell, Worthy, Shaq, ETC. I'd watch games with any of those legends, then some. It would be great if GRIZ fans could watch the legendary GRIZ/UCLA game. Show highlights of the greatest dunks, defensive plays, upset, shooting performances etc. It would be good for the game, to introduce the current kids, teenagers, and under 30's to the likes of these legends.
Well I was going to say no way but this changed my mind. I would watch Pistol anytime! :thumb:

Dillon said:
mtgrizrule said:
Well I was going to say no way but this changed my mind. I would watch Pistol anytime! :thumb:
Would not surprise me if this is exactly what we get (or a lot of it anyway). Personally, under the circumstances, I would love to see reruns of college games featuring those and other greats -- even some who didn't make it as pros (for one reason or another). Here's another archive to mine: How about the various "Cinderella" teams that ran deep into the Big Dance? That would be cool, especially some that we've forgotten about from further back.

FWIW: Golf courses here are open on a (very) limited basis. But we're still getting hard freezes at night, so you have to wait until the greens don't crunch when you walk on them. And, frankly, we're a bit too old to play when it's 45º in the afternoon ... especially if the wind comes up. Of course, this is Idaho so we always have some wind. ;)
Addendum: Announced a bit ago that the Masters would be postponed ... no new date set.

For anybody who did watch those old classic games, they'd be amazed at how much basketball has changed.

First, defense. Today's defenses are so much more sophisticated than back in the day.

Second, the three point shot. Steph Curry changed the game. You have to wonder why somebody didn't figure this out much much earlier.

Of course, if you went way back, you'd wonder, "Where are all the European players?" They too are prominent in ways they weren't a generation ago.

:lol:
IdaGriz01 said:
Dillon said:
mtgrizrule said:
Would not surprise me if this is exactly what we get (or a lot of it anyway). Personally, under the circumstances, I would love to see reruns of college games featuring those and other greats -- even some who didn't make it as pros (for one reason or another). Here's another archive to mine: How about the various "Cinderella" teams that ran deep into the Big Dance? That would be cool, especially some that we've forgotten about from further back.

FWIW: Golf courses here are open on a (very) limited basis. But we're still getting hard freezes at night, so you have to wait until the greens don't crunch when you walk on them. And, frankly, we're a bit too old to play when it's 45º in the afternoon ... especially if the wind comes up. Of course, this is Idaho so we always have some wind. ;)
Addendum: Announced a bit ago that the Masters would be postponed ... no new date set.

Larchmont opened Wednesday here. We like to walk so 45 degrees is fine as long as the wind isn't too bad and the sun peeks out once in a while. I bet they do pull up some from the archives in the next few weeks. I can think of quite a few. The undefeated Indiana team (Keith Smart buzzer beater), the UNC Jordan game, Villanova/Georgetown in '84 IIRC, the Heyward Butler hail mary that just missed. I'd rewatch the over the hill Nicklaus '85 Masters win. Most exciting day of golf ever. Surely a better alternative than non stop infomercials on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

cclarkblues said:
I think ESPNU has been running classic BB games for some time.
They have indeed, but mostly in the "off hours." We can expect to see much more during "prime time," because they can't just fill that time with "experts" pontificating.

IdaGriz01 said:
cclarkblues said:
They have indeed, but mostly in the "off hours." We can expect to see much more during "prime time," because they can't just fill that time with "experts" pontificating.

The sports channels (ESPN, CBSSN, NBCSN, etc.) won't have much choice. Too many talking heads already. I can see the Big Boy networks using some of their old games and golf tournaments on weekend afternoons until things blow over. If you are a sports nut and the spring weather sucks too bad to get outside and you've spent all winter getting your flies tied you are going to tune in.

Hoops watcher said:
IdaGriz01 said:
cclarkblues said:
The sports channels (ESPN, CBSSN, NBCSN, etc.) won't have much choice. Too many talking heads already. I can see the Big Boy networks using some of their old games and golf tournaments on weekend afternoons until things blow over. If you are a sports nut and the spring weather sucks too bad to get outside and you've spent all winter getting your flies tied you are going to tune in.
You betcha!

Back