• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz vs "Weber's Not a State" cats

Coach DeCuire during the coaches show on the first game:
We made some mistakes in that game, including myself, to let it slip away. I've lost a lot of sleep over that and I'd like to make up for it
This is why we love Travis.

Looking forward to a big game tonight. It's always fun when these two teams play. Griz win comfortably this time around

Ogden news coverage:

https://www.standard.net/sports/weber-state/weber-state-basketball-hopes-lineup-stability-brings-continued-progress-in/article_35aa5d53-ef42-50d7-81dd-a51b1336156c.html

significant items excerpted:

. . . WSU has used the same starting lineup for the last four games.
All things equal, that fact seems like a so-what byproduct of competent coaching. In most sports, it's common for a team to identify its best players, put them on the court or field first, finish the game with them and, barring unusual matchup situations, give that unit the most minutes in between. But in the 20 games prior, Weber State head coach Randy Rahe had used 14 different starting lineups. Coincidentally, WSU (10-14, 6-7 Big Sky) has won four of its last five games. That fifth game saw Kham Davis come off the bench and play starter minutes in an overtime win over Montana and, ever since, it's been — one through five — Jerrick Harding, Cody John, Davis, Michal Kozak and Tim Fuller. The reasons for the different lineups are well-documented but, in summary, injuries to Harding, Davis and Donatas Kupsas were the impetus for much of the inconsistency. . . . Rahe continues to praise his team's work ethic. "I’m happy for these kids because they come to work no matter what — close loss, guys in and out, whatever, they just come to work every day. That’s what we had to preach early on is to keep working and the results would come," he said. "They’ve really done that so far, and they’ve developed some toughness."

. . . home victory over Montana is one of two top wins for Weber State this season, along with a road beating of Southern Utah.
The Big Sky-leading Griz (14-10, 10-3) are again accustomed to winning. After surviving several close games early, Montana has come out of consecutive losses against WSU and Portland State with vigor, plowing through Montana State (14-point win), Eastern Washington (10-point win) and Idaho (11-point win) in its last three contests while averaging 84 points. The Griz shoot the 3 well but don't shoot it as often as other teams. A low turnover rate and good shooting across the board, however, make Montana the most efficient offense in the Big Sky during conference play. Seniors Sayeed Pridgett (19.3 points per game) and Kendal Manuel (15.1) continue to lead Montana in scoring. Pridgett also leads his team in rebounding (7.3 per game) and assists (3.6). Weber State tips off against Montana at 7 p.m. Thursday. WSU is 23-38 all-time in Missoula.

Go Griz!

LG up 24-20 midway through the 2nd.

Yes, they're already playing. I mean, who the hell schedules like this???

Oh wait. The bsc. It adds up now....

Grizbballfan14 said:
Coach DeCuire during the coaches show on the first game:
We made some mistakes in that game, including myself, to let it slip away. I've lost a lot of sleep over that and I'd like to make up for it
This is why we love Travis.

Looking forward to a big game tonight. It's always fun when these two teams play. Griz win comfortably this time around

Yes and yes. Time to return the favor. Go Griz. :thumb:

Lady Griz up 32 on the wobbles.

:eek:

I guess weber's not a big fan of playing before the rooster crows. :?

Here's an interesting stat I NEVER would have guessed:

In conference play, Montana has the #1 FG % in the league at 49.2%.

Conversely, Montana's 3-pt DEFENSE is 2nd WORST in the league at 38.5%.

Also not sure where the "Griz don't shoot the 3 as often as other teams" comment comes from. They're 4th in the conference in 3-pointer attempts.

AZGrizFan said:

Also not sure where the "Griz don't shoot the 3 as often as other teams" comment comes from. They're 4th in the conference in 3-pointer attempts.

Where are you getting that from? ESPN has us 9th in the conference on 3pt attempts/game.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...sort/avgThreePointFieldGoalsAttempted/group/5

Anyways, we're shooting 41% from 3 in league games, that kind of shooting could actually give us a punchers chance if we made the dance.

DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Where are you getting that from? ESPN has us 9th in the conference on 3pt attempts/game.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...sort/avgThreePointFieldGoalsAttempted/group/5

Anyways, we're shooting 41% from 3 in league games, that kind of shooting could actually give us a punchers chance if we made the dance.

Those are "Conference Only" stats....

With the non conference slate having a lot of teams with a lot of size on D it's not really surprising we shot more triples than in conference where Pridgett can operate in the post with more success. Also from my cheap seats the shot selection has improved as the year has progressed, of course in part to Big Sky D not being like UW or the Quacks and the new guys settling in more.

AZGrizFan said:
DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Those are "Conference Only" stats....

Got it. Obviously the Ogden paper got it from full season stats. Nice too see that we're shooting better and more often as the season has gone along, especially since it hasn't really been a strength most of the past several years.

EverettGriz said:

bsc did not schedule the time. Weber State did.

TrueGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Well of course. But the bsc allowed it. Once again, do you think this would be allowed by other conferences? Of course not. They hold their programs accountable and put rules and regs into place to avoid ridiculous things like this.

EverettGriz said:
TrueGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Well of course. But the bsc allowed it. Once again, do you think this would be allowed by other conferences? Of course not. They hold their programs accountable and put rules and regs into place to avoid ridiculous things like this.

The Lady Griz game at weber state was scheduled this way so that a lot of grade school children could go to watch the game. Lady Griz had their school day game scheduled during non-conference which was scheduled at 11:30am on a tuesday. Lady Griz game at EWU last week was for the same purpose. For a conference to prevent a school from scheduling a game for young school children to watch it would be pure assinine. It is a good thing these schools are doing. This is NOT ridiculous no matter how you want to look at it. So good for the bsc for allowing this.

TrueGriz said:
The Lady Griz game at weber state was scheduled this way so that a lot of grade school children could go to watch the game. Lady Griz had their school day game scheduled during non-conference which was scheduled at 11:30am on a tuesday. Lady Griz game at EWU last week was for the same purpose. For a conference to prevent a school from scheduling a game for young school children to watch it would be pure assinine. It is a good thing these schools are doing. This is NOT ridiculous no matter how you want to look at it. So good for the bsc for allowing this.

... :clap: ...

Back