• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who, what are you missing from 2010's GRIZ?

mtgrizrule

I'll get this started.

Michael Oguine: Alley oops, high flying offensive and defensive plays.
Will Cherry: Clutch steals and defensive stops, minimizing opposing best guards
Brian Qvale: Patrolling the paint on both ends, especially blocking shots.

This year's GRIZ sure could use what these guys did.
Oguine's air theatrics are a rarity. Nobody even close to doing what he did.
Will Cherry had a knack for clutch game winning defensive efforts. Falls and Pridgett combine to come close to Cherry, but how often at clutch times?
Brian Qvale - Since his departure, we haven't had a game changing paint presence. What we do have are a few mid sized players who block shots (Pridgett and Carter-Hollinger), and an young post who changes trajectory of shots, but not as many blocks (Anderson). Qvale consistently provided 2 to 3 blocks per game.

I look forward to hear what others think.

mtgrizrule said:
I'll get this started.

Michael Oguine: Alley oops, high flying offensive and defensive plays.
Will Cherry: Clutch steals and defensive stops, minimizing opposing best guards
Brian Qvale: Patrolling the paint on both ends, especially blocking shots.

This year's GRIZ sure could use what these guys did.
Oguine's air theatrics are a rarity. Nobody even close to doing what he did.
Will Cherry had a knack for clutch game winning defensive efforts. Falls and Pridgett combine to come close to Cherry, but how often at clutch times?
Brian Qvale - Since his departure, we haven't had a game changing paint presence. What we do have are a few mid sized players who block shots (Pridgett and Carter-Hollinger), and an young post who changes trajectory of shots, but not as many blocks (Anderson). Qvale consistently provided 2 to 3 blocks per game.

I look forward to hear what others think.

Tony Miller!
Seriously, though, I miss Bobby Moorhead! Just the little things he did! Physically and talent-wise, not even close to the players you’ve mentioned, but a guy who dove for the ball, played shit down defense, and was a team leader! Every team has a Bobby Moorhead—or needs one!
From your list-Oguine!

I'll take a guy like Fab any and every day of the week. Positive, hard working team guy who got every last drop out of the talent he had. If all the new guys can maximize their arguably superior hoops ability like him the Griz are in good shape for the future.

Great additions guys, I actually thought of Moorehead and Krslovic too. I do think, Falls brings a lot of what Moorehead did as for Defense and hustle, just different positions and skill sets. If Egun saw more playing time, we'd see a lot of those intangibles with him too.

Breunig may not have been a true back to the basket post like Qvale, more of a 4, but he was big and could defend and get to his spots like no other in recent memory. It's a shame he never made an NCAA tourney.

He's not on the elite level you are asking about, but I would love another Art Steward or two on our team. Tough as hell and will do all the little things for the team.

PeauxRouge said:
Breunig may not have been a true back to the basket post like Qvale, more of a 4, but he was big and could defend and get to his spots like no other in recent memory. It's a shame he never made an NCAA tourney.

He's not on the elite level you are asking about, but I would love another Art Steward or two on our team. Tough as hell and will do all the little things for the team.

Breunig was athletic for a GRIZ post player. We sure could use him.
As for Steward, can you imagine him and Pridgett playing together? That would be 2 mid sized guys that could and would do anything and everything.

I miss all those guys. Great suggestions, men.

I also miss the amazing Dahlberg crowds at the two straight bsc Championship victories over Weebs, with 7500 crazies and a National tv audience providing a true championship atmosphere.

But I guess now we have boise.... thanks #bsc.

grizzlyjournal said:
Kareem Jamar. Jordan Gregory.

I thought of them. Kareem was so versatile in the offense. If you would, a less athletic Pridgett. He was a matchup nightmare for defenses. Speaking of defense, he was a better defender than given credit for.

Jordan Gregory, what a terrific attitude and work ethic. He certainly got as much out of his ability as he could. I really would like to have a Jordan Gregory award every year. It is difficult to find a player who improves as much as he did every off season. Those are the attributes of the real Jordan Gregory. I hope and pray, he remains a GRIZ coach.

EverettGriz said:
I miss all those guys. Great suggestions, men.

I also miss the amazing Dahlberg crowds at the two straight bsc Championship victories over Weebs, with 7500 crazies and a National tv audience providing a true championship atmosphere.

But I guess now we have boise.... thanks #bsc.

Amen to amazing Dahlberg crowds. :thumb:

Thankfully, I can include Anthony Johnson in this. His Sr year was 2010, which barely qualifies here.
I miss his explosive offense and leadership. No GRIZ could light up the scoreboard like a pinball machine, like he did. Even more amazing, he did it with horrible eyesight. I wonder, how is he doing these days?

WOW, 10 years since his legendary SR season and magical Big Sky Tournament performance!!! How about a damn tribute game to honor Anthony? Is it too late this season to make this happen?

A healthy Jamar Akoh might have been the most dominant offensive weapon we've had, not to mention his work on the boards and defense.

Hoops watcher said:
Watched the tape of that Weber game on You Tube a little while ago. Freaking amazing by AJ.

I find myself doing the same from time to time. Probably the most exciting game I can remember watching. Its still hard to imagine someone having that good of a game.

That steal from a young Will Cherry to seal the victory might have been the best part. I've always joked that whatever team draws Portland in the playoffs should bring in Will Cherry to slow down Lillard.

Grizbballfan14 said:
A healthy Jamar Akoh might have been the most dominant offensive weapon we've had, not to mention his work on the boards and defense.

You'll love Steadman next season. He and Gaskin will each be 1st team all conference, or worthy of it. Steadnan will own the conference. I hope they both stay healthy.

Cherry/Ogunie and Akoh/Fab. Samuelson + Yagi = Touch and speed of Bruning, Pridgett and DCH have the PowerForward face-up Jamar DNA and Manuel gives us the 3pt DNA of Gregory. The only thing we are missing is speed and a guy who can blow by and slash to the hoop like Oguine and his quicks used to do and some bulk down low like Fab used to provide to stop other teams driving the ball. Teams just started putting 3 guys in the lane after a while to stop Rorie and Oguine.
However, I think our 3pt threats are a lot more abundant than with those teams so while we don't get nearly as many simple points of guards slashing for clean layups we are making up for it with Ownes, Samuelson, DCH, Manuel all being able to hit from deep. You felt good in close games with Oguine and Rorie cause you knew they could get to the rim if they had to, but at the same time we did lose games because some teams would pack the paint and let us miss open jumpers all day.

mtgrizrule said:
Thankfully, I can include Anthony Johnson in this. His Sr year was 2010, which barely qualifies here.
I miss his explosive offense and leadership. No GRIZ could light up the scoreboard like a pinball machine, like he did. Even more amazing, he did it with horrible eyesight. I wonder, how is he doing these days?

WOW, 10 years since his legendary SR season and magical Big Sky Tournament performance!!! How about a damn tribute game to honor Anthony? Is it too late this season to make this happen?

As you can see by my eGriz avatar, Anthony Johnson is tops. I believe that Johnson's senior season and -- in particular -- his second-to-last game as a Griz, were the catalyst for the re-emergence of Montana Griz hoops to the top of the Big Sky and mid-major status. I am not discounting Larry Krystkowiak's two years here... or the commitments of Brian Qvale & Derek Selvig... but I believe that when Wayne Tinkle recruited Anthony and Will Cherry, a renaissance in Montana basketball was tipped off. Feel pretty proud to have been able to be a part of this as a Montana fan.

mtgrizrule said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

You'll love Steadman next season. He and Gaskin will each be 1st team all conference, or worthy of it. Steadnan will own the conference. I hope they both stay healthy.

I'm excited for both of them but especially Steadman. Judging from his production in the Mountain West conference last year, he should have a great season. He looks to have the physical traits necessary to play the 5 in our system, and hopefully this redshirt year is a good opportunity for him to learn and embrace his new responsibilities defensively.

grizzlyjournal said:
mtgrizrule said:

As you can see by my eGriz avatar, Anthony Johnson is tops. I believe that Johnson's senior season and -- in particular -- his second-to-last game as a Griz, were the catalyst for the re-emergence of Montana Griz hoops to the top of the Big Sky and mid-major status. I am not discounting Larry Krystkowiak's two years here... or the commitments of Brian Qvale & Derek Selvig... but I believe that when Wayne Tinkle recruited Anthony and Will Cherry, a renaissance in Montana basketball was tipped off. Feel pretty proud to have been able to be a part of this as a Montana fan.

I think Anthony Johnson will always hold a special place in the hearts and minds of Griz basketball fans. I would love to see the athletic department honor him in some way.

Hopefully when the basketball champions center is built this offseason they will find a good way to celebrate some of the incredible history this program has. It is sort of implied in the name after all.

Hoops watcher said:
I'll take a guy like Fab any and every day of the week. Positive, hard working team guy who got every last drop out of the talent he had. If all the new guys can maximize their arguably superior hoops ability like him the Griz are in good shape for the future.

This.

Back