• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ at weebs

EverettGriz

DONOR
The Weber board is and has been losing its collective mind over Rahe. They want the guy gone, like, yesterday.

I truly felt it was a mistake when weber signed him to that long-term contract. No doubt the guy can evaluate talent and recruit at a level at least equal to the MWC if not even a low-tier P12 level. But his development of players and his in-game coaching leave much to be desired.

Interesting EG. I would like to hear more.

EverettGriz said:
The Weber board is and has been losing its collective mind over Rahe. They want the guy gone, like, yesterday.

I truly felt it was a mistake when weber signed him to that long-term contract. No doubt the guy can evaluate talent and recruit at a level at least equal to the MWC if not even a low-tier P12 level. But his development of players and his in-game coaching leave much to be desired.

Local newspaper reporting didn't seem to shade Rahe.
excerpted " . . . The Bobcats (10-9, 4-4) came out of the timeout trapping at half court and stretching out a 1-3-1 zone that forced the ball out of Harding’s hands.
“We prepared for the zone, we knew it was coming. We had a few tough possessions but then we got some really good looks and they didn’t go in,” Rahe said. “I don’t know what else you can do, but we worked the ball, got it where we wanted it, got good looks and the shots just weren’t falling. That was tough.”
Frey, the senior who makes MSU’s offense go, struggled to a 5-of-19 shooting night, often seeing shots roll out despite creating good looks for himself. "

He seemed to have done a pretty good job with Lilliard, Bolomboy and Senglin. People get spoiled pretty easily and forget that grass is always greener thing.

Hoops watcher said:
He seemed to have done a pretty good job with Lilliard, Bolomboy and Senglin. People get spoiled pretty easily and forget that grass is always greener thing.

I think if you talk to weber people they’d say he did a great job finding that talent. But I think they’d question the development piece. Obviously DL was a once in a lifetime deal, but did Joel and Senglin really improve from their freshman to senior seasons?

And even with those players Rahe was never able to beat the GRIZ for a title.

EverettGriz said:
Hoops watcher said:

I think if you talk to weber people they’d say he did a great job finding that talent. But I think they’d question the development piece. Obviously DL was a once in a lifetime deal, but did Joel and Senglin really improve from their freshman to senior seasons?

And even with those players Rahe was never able to beat the GRIZ for a title.

Bolomboy couldn't make a shot outside 5 feet early though he was always a rebounding machine and phenomenal athlete and was hitting 20 footers and got drafted his last year. But maybe that doesn't count as development. I've always thought Rahe was a bit of a peckerhead, but never thought he wasn't a good coach. Like DeCuire he's recruiting into a sucky conference (which you point out daily) and a tough place to sell city guys on coming to. Was listening to Tootell and Nuanez talk with a guy from the Ogden local rag and Weber has been slammed by injuries this year (see Roy Williams and NC this season). So the long knives come out, lol. If they think they can find someone better to come to Ogden more power to them, I'll stick with them being spoiled by steady success.

I can't necessarily argue, HW. I'm just relaying what the hardcore Weber fans are saying, and have been prior to this year. FWIW, they aren't buying the injury excuses this year, either. Perhaps that's because they feel Rahe always has an excuse.

I will stand by my belief that Rahe is a poor in-game coach, however. He has superior talent to nearly everyone not named Montana in the bsc, but Weber repeatedly finds remarkable ways to lose games.

Weber hasn't had superior talent for a few years. They have two very good guards, one of home, Harding, has been hampered by injury much of this year. He's just now getting healthy. John is a very good player. Their bigs are marginal, their bench scored a TOTAL of 10 points over a three-game span, including against ISU, and they are getting absolutely killed on the boards. They are not a very good team. True, they did lose their starting 4-man second game of the season, but their talent is not top tier anymore.

EverettGriz said:
I can't necessarily argue, HW. I'm just relaying what the hardcore Weber fans are saying, and have been prior to this year. FWIW, they aren't buying the injury excuses this year, either. Perhaps that's because they feel Rahe always has an excuse.

I will stand by my belief that Rahe is a poor in-game coach, however. He has superior talent to nearly everyone not named Montana in the bsc, but Weber repeatedly finds remarkable ways to lose games.

Rahe is certainly one of the most animated coaches in the Big Sky and I have always "loved to hate him". I don't know how a guy 5'4 can recruit and motivate players or intimidate refs, but he has been successful, so i have always respected him, even while kinda hating him. I don't know if he is a "poor in-game coach". I guess I'd need to hear further prove to believe that. He HAS always recruited talent, and that is,at least, half the battle in the Big Sky.

Weber State fans have to be perplexed regarding Rahe. In his 1st 5 to 7 years, Weber State had amazing teams with a lot of talent, beyond what Big Sky teams normally get. The last few years, they have under performed. However, I just can't write off any Rahe coached team. They always have the capability of being the best in the conference, rather it be a for a game, or a whole season.

I really am not that knowledgeable of Rahe's coaching staffs, over his time there. I am curious, have there been some key losses to his staffs? What kind of turnover has there been with his staffs?

I really don't know what the problems are. I do know, the GRIZ are fortunate. DeCuire has always managed to have terrific assistants. His assistant head coach, Coach Cobb, is going to 1 day be an amazing Div 1 coach. I have complete faith in Coach Cobb taking over the program, if that time ever were to come. To be honest, I'd be disappointed if he wasn't chosen, in the event that DeCuire moved on.

As for Weber State talent, they often recruit the most talent in the league. However, I don't see many of their players dramatically improve. Their improvements are usually from 1 or 2 players each season. Meanwhile, the GRIZ continually have every player in their rotation make improvements throughout each season. The improvements are usually quite noticeable. Someone always manages to exceed expectations. This season, those players are DCH, Samuelson (I expected him to contribute, but not average double digits in conference play this season). Anderson may not have the stats to show his improvements, but his defensive presence is very valuable. Scarier yet, Owens and Vazquez have the talent to improve a lot by season's end. Vazquez just needs his shots to start falling, and that will likely happen. Owens, needs to trust his overall game. He is way too dependent on his perimeter shot. Defensively, all the freshmen are well ahead of where most freshmen are at.

I can actually see why Weber State fans question Rahe's ability to develop talent. I do know, BSC basketball is better, when Weber State performs up to it's talent level. I hope they get it together, except against the GRIZ.

This is going to be a tough game. The WEEBS are coming off of the close loss to the kitties and they probably have that beat down, by the GRIZ, in their minds from the tournament last year. The loss to the kitties, maybe they were looking ahead to the GRIZ. Who knows.
Can’t wait for this one!
GO GRIZ!!!!

mtgrizrule said:
Weber State fans have to be perplexed regarding Rahe. In his 1st 5 to 7 years, Weber State had amazing teams with a lot of talent, beyond what Big Sky teams normally get. The last few years, they have under performed. However, I just can't write off any Rahe coached team. They always have the capability of being the best in the conference, rather it be a for a game, or a whole season.

I really am not that knowledgeable of Rahe's coaching staffs, over his time there. I am curious, have there been some key losses to his staffs? What kind of turnover has there been with his staffs?

I really don't know what the problems are. I do know, the GRIZ are fortunate. DeCuire has always managed to have terrific assistants. His assistant head coach, Coach Cobb, is going to 1 day be an amazing Div 1 coach. I have complete faith in Coach Cobb taking over the program, if that time ever were to come. To be honest, I'd be disappointed if he wasn't chosen, in the event that DeCuire moved on.

As for Weber State talent, they often recruit the most talent in the league. However, I don't see many of their players dramatically improve. Their improvements are usually from 1 or 2 players each season. Meanwhile, the GRIZ continually have every player in their rotation make improvements throughout each season. The improvements are usually quite noticeable. Someone always manages to exceed expectations. This season, those players are DCH, Samuelson (I expected him to contribute, but not average double digits in conference play this season). Anderson may not have the stats to show his improvements, but his defensive presence is very valuable. Scarier yet, Owens and Vazquez have the talent to improve a lot by season's end. Vazquez just needs his shots to start falling, and that will likely happen. Owens, needs to trust his overall game. He is way too dependent on his perimeter shot. Defensively, all the freshmen are well ahead of where most freshmen are at.

I can actually see why Weber State fans question Rahe's ability to develop talent. I do know, BSC basketball is better, when Weber State performs up to it's talent level. I hope they get it together, except against the GRIZ.

Good post, Rule. And I agree with everything, particularly the bold para.

mtgrizrule said:
on.

As for Weber State talent, they often recruit the most talent in the league. However, I don't see many of their players dramatically improve.

Uh, I mean it's obvious, but he doesn't get any credit for recruiting (and developing) Damion Lilliard? Granted they couldn't beat the Griz even with him, but he did something right with him.

Zirg said:
mtgrizrule said:
on.

As for Weber State talent, they often recruit the most talent in the league. However, I don't see many of their players dramatically improve.

Uh, I mean it's obvious, but he doesn't get any credit for recruiting (and developing) Damion Lilliard? Granted they couldn't beat the Griz even with him, but he did something right with him.

He 100% gets credit for Dame. Unfortunately, since then, despite talented teams, Weber State has under performed the last few years. With the frontlines they have had, they played kind of soft, and have been inconsistent.

Most Weber fans have known for a decade that Rahe is not a good basketball coach. Tinkle and AJ exposed his lack of coaching skills in 2010. And Tinkle always owned him. He's had some success due mainly to being able to get some good talent that has compensated for his poor coaching. He hit the lottery with Lillard and still never made the dance with him. How in the hell do you not make it with Dame? Now we're stuck with him thanks to the former AD giving his sorry ass a ridiculous 8 year contract and he makes at least twice what any other coach in the conference makes. Weber can't afford a buyout so we get an 8 year Rahe farewell tour. Attendance and fan moral hasn't been this bad in Ogden since the 1980s. And next season looks to be worse. Enjoy the game Griz fans, I won't be watching.

SWeberCat02 said:
Most Weber fans have known for a decade that Rahe is not a good basketball coach. Tinkle and AJ exposed his lack of coaching skills in 2010. And Tinkle always owned him. He's had some success due mainly to being able to get some good talent that has compensated for his poor coaching. He hit the lottery with Lillard and still never made the dance with him. How in the hell do you not make it with Dame? Now we're stuck with him thanks to the former AD giving his sorry ass a ridiculous 8 year contract and he makes at least twice what any other coach in the conference makes. Weber can't afford a buyout so we get an 8 year Rahe farewell tour. Attendance and fan moral hasn't been this bad in Ogden since the 1980s. And next season looks to be worse. Enjoy the game Griz fans, I won't be watching.

This is all I'm sayin....

EverettGriz said:
SWeberCat02 said:

This is all I'm sayin....

Pure Gold, SWC.......nominating for opposing fans POTY :thumb:
Please do let us know, you'll be all right. I'm worried about you. :thumb:

SWeberCat02 said:

I agree that an 8-year contract is crazy.

from last yr:
"Weber State led the Big Sky in average attendance for the 11th-straight season and 16th time in the last 18 years with an average of 6,755 fans across 15 contests. The Wildcats sat more than 5,000 fans in all 15 home games."

Update:and while I have seen a couple Weber home games drew less than 5000 this year, they still dominate attendance in the Big Sky. I just googled and found that Weber's enrollment is 28,000 now! Holy crap, who knew?

Back