• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Way Too Early 2020/21 Team

mtgrizrule

As of 1/13/2020 GRIZ basketball has added 6'8", 230 LB Darius Henderson to the team. I am not sure how his eligibility will play out. I am guessing he will play 2 complete years (20/21 and 21/22). DeCuire's addressing a huge need with front court depth and talent.

Next season GRIZ bigs will be: Steadman, Henderson, Anderson, Yagi, Owens, Carter Hollinger, and Bannan. That is 7 post players of various skills. All of which are worthy of being consistent contributors. This will be the deepest the GRIZ have ever been in the paint, to my knowledge at least.

The GRIZ backcourt will be: Gaskin, Falls, Vasquez, Egun, Brown, Clarke, Beasley, and Whitney. That is 8 quality guards. We already know how terrific DeCuire led guards play. The GRIZ will truly be even deeper at guard than prior years.

I know, I left out a few names (Briceno and Jones). I see 15 players very solid quality, and even question if a few of the listed may leave, at least it's always a possibility. Even with a few players choosing to leave, I have no doubt, the GRIZ will have the talent and depth to comfortably do something DeCuire has never done, and always resisted doing. He can honestly put together a terrific game plan, going no less than 10 deep. I honestly hope, he considers 1 group that goes 25-30 minutes per game, and a 2nd group of 10-15 minutes per game.

Sounds to me, he actually will have the luxury of going 40 minutes of intense pressure and pushing the offense more. Don't get we wrong, I love how he works a 7 to 9 man rotation, but with this kind of depth, how can he not at least experiment with no less than 10 deep? This is something we have discussed a few times here. Yet, DeCuire has stuck with his 7 to 9 man rotations (depending on opponents and matchups).

I for one, would love to see this. I already know, Citay will give this a seal of approval. I hope he weighs in on this (minus his inner Bill Walton...haha). Thoughts, comments, etc?

Agree on him possibly wanting to ratchet up pressure with more quality depth. Hopefully enough minutes to keep people happy, that's a nice problem to have. They will be even younger next year when you think about it.

Hoops watcher said:
Agree on him possibly wanting to ratchet up pressure with more quality depth. Hopefully enough minutes to keep people happy, that's a nice problem to have. They will be even younger next year when you think about it.

I think, Falls and Steadman will be the only SR's. Could this open up a redshirt year for Anderson? That could help him a lot.

A cursory look at the rosters of a few BSC teams and it is not just UM that is loading. Northern Colorado is loaded with underclassmen, among others. That is a good thing for this conference.

mtgrizrule said:
Hoops watcher said:

I think, Falls and Steadman will be the only SR's. Could this open up a redshirt year for Anderson? That could help him a lot.

Good point, or maybe the last few decent outings will hopefully bolster his confidence and jump start the progress that we fans are hoping for. We'll have to see, I reckon.

It will be interesting to see who is on a prove it scholarship this year. There always seems to be one or two players. With another highly touted class coming in and Naseem in the waiting playing time will be hard to come by (Yagi and Eddy?). It also makes me think one or two of the incoming guys might redshirt to balance out the scholarships a bit (2 seniors). I would be really surprised if it was Mack.

Great morning on egriz: Rule back; Griz win; Henderson in the House; "Strength in Numbers" looming; Carter-Hollinger emerging (Freshman of the Year in the Big Sky); Anderson maturing; team blossoming; entire Conference improving (DeCuire raising the bar.)

But Big Sky: Get us this year, or not for several after that.

mtgrizrule said:
As of 1/13/2020 GRIZ basketball has added 6'8", 230 LB Darius Henderson to the team. I am not sure how his eligibility will play out. I am guessing he will play 2 complete years (20/21 and 21/22). DeCuire's addressing a huge need with front court depth and talent.

Next season GRIZ bigs will be: Steadman, Henderson, Anderson, Yagi, Owens, Carter Hollinger, and Bannan. That is 7 post players of various skills. All of which are worthy of being consistent contributors. This will be the deepest the GRIZ have ever been in the paint, to my knowledge at least.

The GRIZ backcourt will be: Gaskin, Falls, Vasquez, Egun, Brown, Clarke, Beasley, and Whitney. That is 8 quality guards. We already know how terrific DeCuire led guards play. The GRIZ will truly be even deeper at guard than prior years.

I know, I left out a few names (Briceno and Jones). I see 15 players very solid quality, and even question if a few of the listed may leave, at least it's always a possibility. Even with a few players choosing to leave, I have no doubt, the GRIZ will have the talent and depth to comfortably do something DeCuire has never done, and always resisted doing. He can honestly put together a terrific game plan, going no less than 10 deep. I honestly hope, he considers 1 group that goes 25-30 minutes per game, and a 2nd group of 10-15 minutes per game.

Sounds to me, he actually will have the luxury of going 40 minutes of intense pressure and pushing the offense more. Don't get we wrong, I love how he works a 7 to 9 man rotation, but with this kind of depth, how can he not at least experiment with no less than 10 deep? This is something we have discussed a few times here. Yet, DeCuire has stuck with his 7 to 9 man rotations (depending on opponents and matchups).

I for one, would love to see this. I already know, Citay will give this a seal of approval. I hope he weighs in on this (minus his inner Bill Walton...haha). Thoughts, comments, etc?

Peter Jones has been absent from the bench for weeks. Has he packed it in?

mtgrizrule said:
Hoops watcher said:

A redshirt year for Mack would definitely be beneficial for putting on weight and developing his game offensively, but I'd be surprised if he gets one. I only say that because we currently have 5 scholarships committed to the 2023 graduating class, which is a lot. Adding a 6th would likely make it more difficult to balance those scholarships in the future.

flatheadgriz406 said:
It will be interesting to see who is on a prove it scholarship this year. There always seems to be one or two players. With another highly touted class coming in and Naseem in the waiting playing time will be hard to come by (Yagi and Eddy?). It also makes me think one or two of the incoming guys might redshirt to balance out the scholarships a bit (2 seniors). I would be really surprised if it was Mack.

I'm thinking somewhere along the same lines. I wouldnt be surprised to see 1 or 2 of the freshman redshirt. Honestly, we might be able to redshirt all 4 if we dont have any extra roster turnover this offseason.

I think it would be a great habit to get into if we can redshirt more of our players going forward. That way we can maximize their production while wearing maroon and white.

Grizbballfan14 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Hoops watcher said:

A redshirt year for Mack would definitely be beneficial for putting on weight and developing his game offensively, but I'd be surprised if he gets one. I only say that because we currently have 5 scholarships committed to the 2023 graduating class, which is a lot. Adding a 6th would likely make it more difficult to balance those scholarships in the future.

Mack looks like he’s turned the corner and is reaching his potential. A redshirt season would be a nice luxury, but I’m not sure I want to go without him now that he’s showing us what he an do!

AllWeatherFan said:
Enjoy Coach DeCuire while we have him! Somebody is going to dangle a wad of cash in front of that guy.

I felt this way for a while, but after the last 2 years I'm honestly starting to think he wants to be here for a long time.

Think about it. He may not be a native Montanan, but this is his alma mater. Yes, Montana is cold and undesirable to some, but he is a basketball coach. He is inside all winter so it doesnt make much of a difference, plus we all know how beautiful Montana is in the summer.

He has job security here, the full support of the school and community, and he has all of the facilities necessary to recruit and build great teams. Just imagine how much easier recruiting will be after the basketball champions center is built this summer. Montana is on the verge of cementing it's status as a perennial mid major power, and I think DeCuire wants to see that through.

That being said, if DeCuire moves on to take a 7 figure pay check, I cant blame him because he deserves to get paid. He has established himself as my favorite basketball coach and I wish him success wherever he goes.

AllWeatherFan said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Hoops watcher said:

Mack looks like he’s turned the corner and is reaching his potential. A redshirt season would be a nice luxury, but I’m not sure I want to go without him now that he’s showing us what he an do!

I totally agree. The one thing he needs to improve most this offseason though is his free throw shooting. Otherwise he'll fall subject to the hack a (Shaq) mack strategy.

maroonandsilver said:
mtgrizrule said:

Peter Jones has been absent from the bench for weeks. Has he packed it in?

He is no longer listed on the roster on gogriz

Grizbballfan14 said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Enjoy Coach DeCuire while we have him! Somebody is going to dangle a wad of cash in front of that guy.

I felt this way for a while, but after the last 2 years I'm honestly starting to think he wants to be here for a long time.

That being said, if DeCuire moves on to take a 7 figure pay check, I cant blame him because he deserves to get paid. He has established himself as my favorite basketball coach and I wish him success wherever he goes.

I was pondering this recently as well. He's making a good living and lives in a great environment to raise his family. Or is the professional challenge of resurrecting a program in a more prominent conference (ala Tinks) too good to pass up? Not really much we can do as Travis fans other than try to drum up support for the program. Hopefully it builds and we can keep him here, in any case it's been fun watching him build things up toward the next level.

Hoops watcher said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I was pondering this recently as well. He's making a good living and lives in a great environment to raise his family. Or is the professional challenge of resurrecting a program in a more prominent conference (ala Tinks) too good to pass up? Not really much we can do as Travis fans other than try to drum up support for the program. Hopefully it builds and we can keep him here, in any case it's been fun watching him build things up toward the next level.

I think this is the best way of looking at it. All we can do as fans is support the team and enjoy the time while we have it.

To give more credence to your family argument, Tinks' kids were all grown by the time he left Montana for Oregon.

Grizbballfan14 said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Think about it. He may not be a native Montanan, but this is his alma mater. Yes, Montana is cold and undesirable to some, but he is a basketball coach. He is inside all winter so it doesnt make much of a difference, plus we all know how beautiful Montana is in the summer.

He has job security here, the full support of the school and community, and he has all of the facilities necessary to recruit and build great teams. Just imagine how much easier recruiting will be after the basketball champions center is built this summer. Montana is on the verge of cementing it's status as a perennial mid major power, and I think DeCuire wants to see that through.

RE DeCuire: After finding out how the P5 road game payouts worked, he's making way more than his base, so he's doing alright. I wonder if other mid-majors have contracts set up the same way?

RE Anderson: I feel like he's blossoming right before our eyes. Would hate to see him skip a year. Not sure that would help in his development curve.

RE The Rest of the BSC: Y'all should have gotten to us in the first 5-7 games, cuz it's just gonna get tougher from here! Team is gelling and it's gonna be a bitch for other teams down the stretch. :cool: :cool:

mtgrizrule said:
Hoops watcher said:

That is a possibility but the way Mac has been playing would a RS year put him back in development ?

Back