• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Ranked 6th in BigSky in Recruiting. SUU #1

CleanHOUSE

Just browsing verbal commits and found some interesting tidbits. Yep already worrying about what happens when Pridgett leaves lol.
BSC is ranked 21 of 32 Mountain West 9th and Big West 13th for comparison. Without transfers BSC would probably be a bit lower.
SUU was ranked as top recruiting team in BSC, but when I looked into it, it is because they have 3 fairly high ranked transfers on there roster all 3 of which are not doing much. Andre Adams from ASU, Dewayne Morgan from UNLV and Jakolby Long from Iowa State.
Griz were ranked 6th with an average of 2.097 stars / 5

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/montana
http://www.verbalcommits.com/conferences/big-sky

Point is Decuire sure knows how to identify talent, Owens and DCH don't look 2star to me, but maybe they were a few months ago, because the even more likely situation is the TD knows how to get the most out players AND help them grow their talents beyond what they came in with. This is all pretty obvious by the eye test no great insight, but thought it was cool to see it backed up by some albeit subjective numbers.

DCH was a 3 star recruit, as is Beasley who will arrive next year. Throw in Gaskin and we have 3 young 3 star recruits, which rarely(if ever) are there 3 highly regarded Frosh/Sophs throughout the entire Big Sky, let alone on 1 team

I've been trying to make sense of this in my head. I'm sure we'd all agree that coach DeCuire is a phenomenal developer of talent, but I feel like he is also a better recruiter than these numbers show.

The one thing I can think of to explain the disparity here is that maybe his strategy of recruiting three to four classes ahead affects the players' rankings. I guess what I'm saying is that perhaps some of those 2 star players would be 3 stars if they didnt sign a scholarship offer before their senior season began. Just a hypothesis though.

The only way I’m worried about our recruiting is if TDC leaves and our recruits can ask out of their LOIs and we have to worry about transfers. As is, coach has done a great job acquiring talent and that looks to be the case in our ‘19 and ‘20 classes as well.

UMFan12 said:
DCH was a 3 star recruit, as is Beasley who will arrive next year. Throw in Gaskin and we have 3 young 3 star recruits, which rarely(if ever) are there 3 highly regarded Frosh/Sophs throughout the entire Big Sky, let alone on 1 team

just going by VC which has him as a 2star. A lot of different rating sites so its very subjective

CleanHOUSE said:
UMFan12 said:

just going by VC which has him as a 2star. A lot of different rating sites so its very subjective

Perhaps most kids are a default 2-star because they have not been seen by these sites so they could possibly be a higher star. Travis trusts his own eyes instead of these “stars”.

Aren’t the Griz on some crazy win streak against SUU? I wouldn’t worry about what some quant site has to say about recruiting.

SUU has definitely done a good job bringing in some good looking transfers, but it hasn’t translated to great success yet.

It’s hard to deny Decuire and company’s recruiting success.

GrizFan1512 said:
CleanHOUSE said:
UMFan12 said:

Perhaps most kids are a default 2-star because they have not been seen by these sites so they could possibly be a higher star. Travis trusts his own eyes instead of these “stars”.

Most likely this. How much attention is really paid to players destined for mid and lower level programs? Is a guy like Carter-Hollinger overlooked simply because he isn't 6'8' instead of 6'5"? I'd say yes.

His guys have been solid in the classroom, seem to buy into his team concepts and appear to be good people. Haven't been too shabby when the whistle blows either. I may be a bit old school, but I thought that was the whole point of college athletics. He's done a bang up job for my two cents.

DPGriz said:
The only way I’m worried about our recruiting is if TDC leaves and our recruits can ask out of their LOIs and we have to worry about transfers. As is, coach has done a great job acquiring talent and that looks to be the case in our ‘19 and ‘20 classes as well.

Gaskin has already sat-out 2 straight years, so I doubt he's going anywhere next year. Also, whatever big-time school Travis signs with after the NCAA tourney will already have their sign-ees for next year, and aren't likely to want anyone who signed with a low-tier school.

Verbal commits star ratings are useless and inaccurate. Gaskin is 3 star, DCH is 3 star, Beasley is 3 star, Steadman was as well, Whitney has been mentioned as a top 3 senior point guard in socal, which is quite an honor. Ratings aren't adjusted for mid major kids after they commit, so a kid Montana recruits essentially has to be a 3 star by their Junior year already. That's a rare thing for mid majors like us.

casewinter13 said:
Verbal commits star ratings are useless and inaccurate. Gaskin is 3 star, DCH is 3 star, Beasley is 3 star, Steadman was as well, Whitney has been mentioned as a top 3 senior point guard in socal, which is quite an honor. Ratings aren't adjusted for mid major kids after they commit, so a kid Montana recruits essentially has to be a 3 star by their Junior year already. That's a rare thing for mid majors like us.

While I agree the Star-ratings from some sources can be "dubious, I wouldn't say they are "useless and inaccurate". I am not a "star-rating" expert my any means. All I know is that Gaskin is big-time D1 legit and should be one of the best players in the Big Sky next year. I haven't seen anyone else.

Zirg said:
casewinter13 said:

While I agree the Star-ratings from some sources can be "dubious, I wouldn't say they are "useless and inaccurate". I am not a "star-rating" expert my any means. All I know is that Gaskin is big-time D1 legit and should be one of the best players in the Big Sky next year. I haven't seen anyone else.

I've seen Gaskin & I agree.

Back