• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Griz are poor shooters and that's not a bad thing... :-)

CleanHOUSE

I have seen a few posts talking about how we just need to be patient and the shooting will come, and bad shooting performances are bad luck and flukey. I don't agree, and I think poor shooing may be a necessary evil that comes with the players and style that allows us to be a bigksy force year after year.

1. Let me start by saying, We don't have good shooters, like we just don't, last year we didn't have good shooters, and the year before we didn't have good shooters. That just not the the style the Griz recruit, they go for high upside athletes who if they were better shoots would probably be going to bigger places than UM. Ogunie and Rorie developed into competent shooters, but you would never confuse them for guys who might go off for 6 or 7 3pt shots in a game because they didn't have the shooting talent to do that. Solid shooters can get hot but good shooters will kill you if you leave them wide open. We use our athleticism to create a high volume of high percentage shots close to the hoop, and if you remember the last few years the way to beat us was clog the lane and make us be shot makers.

2. SO the unlucky lid on the basket narrative...nah how many time is the lid going to be on the basket against Power 5 teams v. Mich 32% and 33% v. Penn St. 39% v. Zona 26% v. Stanford 29% and 44% v. Washington 40% v. Arkansas 32%. I sure I missed few games from last few years. Pitt was awful.
Griz often rank high in shooting percentage because they are built to move the ball and get easy looks going to the basket and they have guys that can convert at the rim. When you play against power 5 competition the bad shooting shows up because the volume of looks close to the basket goes way down. For example the Griz might generate 25 open mid range or 3pt looks against Weber State and make 8 of them against Mich they might generate 13 and make 3, same bad shooting but all of a sudden your scoring 52pts instead of 65pts.

3. LIKE who on the Griz scares you from wide open? Manuel maybe if he is feeling it but if he is cold he can clank a bunch of open 3s in a row. Sometimes it feels pointless to work open looks on the perimeter because if Griz were just playing on a empty court they'd still shoot 37% on perimeter jumps shots. Nobody from the last few years would scare you in a 3pt contest...

4. That's why TD builds his team on D because we aren't going to win consistently in shootouts, but we can hold you to 55pts and consistently score 65-70 by getting turnovers and driving the ball in for shots close to the rim. Its a reliable formula for BSC, but without size or fineness/shooting its just hard to beat Power 5 teams who are more athletic and have size and shooting, when your game is predicated on being the most athletic team on the floor.

5. The athletic defensive style makes the Griz consistently competitive and they win a lot of close games, BUT...it also put the Griz in a lot of close games that shouldn't be close games. There have been plenty of games were Griz are the better team, get a lot more open looks and overall opportunities BUT because they can't shoot/make you pay for leaving them open, it ends up being a 7pt game coming down the stretch then anything can happen. I doesn't matter how good your D is if a guy gets hot and hits a few crazy threes in a last few minutes they can steal the game. We have also seen shooting put the Griz in huge holes that they have to dig out of all game because when we our normally poor shooting goes cold things get REALLY bad.

6. ALL OF WHICH IS TO SAY: I think we have to be real, Griz are not built around strong shooting or size and our struggles against power 5 teams are no lid on the basket fluke, were just NOT built to matchup with Power 5 competition or give them problems. We are built on speed, defense, athleticism relative to bigsky competition, getting a lot high percentage shots going to the basket, and the hope of developing a few shooters and a few bigs who can defend. Now it can be frustrating when we all dream of being a sweet 16 darling, but Im also SUPER grateful for sustained success in the bigsky and how fun this team is to root for and if we continue that maybe the shooters and skilled bigs will come...AND some proper promotion from university to help build a fan base and fill the arena >:-( would also Help!

7. Fnally, the Frosh look legit, super excited for this team! Hollinger looks like a Kareem Jamar in the making with more hops!, Vasquez looks like he has a lot of potential in his shooting stroke and seems super calm for a Frosh leading the offense, Owens looks like he has fun playing the game and will be super versatile, Egun uhh not sure what he brings yet, he hasn't 'flashed" as they say, either negatively or positively. Mac showed me if he plays aggressive he could be a real legit Big. I also have high expectations for Samualson, and of course Pridgett can get his. Which all is exciting because it looks like Reload rather than a Rebuild! And if you can Reload at our level you must have a strong and intelligent program model in place.

What do you think?
Is it a model we should continue?
Will it lead to greater success down the road?
Does it lack upside?
Should we build to be able to pull a upset against the big guys?
Should we recruit more shooters?
GO GRIZ!

What was apparent to me at the Stanford game, watching close up from just behind our bench, was how much energy our kids expend playing defense--sliding through screens, moving over to trap then getting back to your own guy while being aware of cuts to the basket--that this eventually wears you down on offense. It's a classic way to stop great shooter: Make him work on defense.

At the same time, what distinguishes a pro player from most college players is the ability to shoot the damned ball--while at the same time playing credible defense. You just MUST shoot well if you're going to play in the NBA. This is what kept Will Cherry back. And while the Warriors dynasty was known for its great shooters, all those guys played defense. Defense was at the core of those great teams. And Klay Thompson was the epitome of the great shooter who also played lock-down defense.

Guess I'm saying, basketball has evolved. In the end, you must put the ball in the basket. Athleticism? Defense? There's no excuse for not being able to shoot. We must find some shooters, because these long scoring droughts, especially against the Power 5 teams, are killers.

Difference is that we need guards that can penetrate the lane like Rorie and Oguine did the last two years at will. I like Vasquez’s game a lot and he has a nice stroke even if he’s struggling but he doesn’t penetrate doesn’t seem to be his game. Timmy I thought could do that but he’s struggling a bit off that hand injury with TOs. Egun is still quite unknown to me. Guards that penetrate makes the ball movement better and will make better in rhythm threes. I think seeing Pridgett being a point-forward might have to be the answer.

I’m expecting this to be a bit rough to start with this schedule, green players, and some guys out still. The hope is for steady improvement so we can be competitive in league.

citay said:
What was apparent to me at the Stanford game, watching close up from just behind our bench, was how much energy our kids expend playing defense--sliding through screens, moving over to trap then getting back to your own guy while being aware of cuts to the basket--that this eventually wears you down on offense. It's a classic way to stop great shooter: Make him work on defense.

At the same time, what distinguishes a pro player from most college players is the ability to shoot the damned ball--while at the same time playing credible defense. You just MUST shoot well if you're going to play in the NBA. This is what kept Will Cherry back. And while the Warriors dynasty was known for its great shooters, all those guys played defense. Defense was at the core of those great teams. And Klay Thompson was the epitome of the great shooter who also played lock-down defense.

Guess I'm saying, basketball has evolved. In the end, you must put the ball in the basket. Athleticism? Defense? There's no excuse for not being able to shoot. We must find some shooters, because these long scoring droughts, especially against the Power 5 teams, are killers.

I agree 100%, I just didn't want people to accuse me of being negative so presented it a positive. And I actually think this team has some guys with smooth strokes that could potentially be good shooters. But yeah I think we could benefit from constructing a roster than has more shooting talent and is not as prone to long shooting slumps.
However, I do think that maybe some of the sustained success is because we build around athletic defenders where as going after scorers is probably a less sure thing might lead to being more up and down as a program. And obviously I dont know how they target recruits but it would seem shooters are not a emphasis.

One other note about shooting slumps: They always have a bad effect on the defense. You bust your butt on defense, only to come up dry on offense, and the tendency is to lose focus on defense as well. We definitely saw this during the Stanford game, when they were getting open look after open look, the while our offense was stagnating.

Come to think of it, the title of this thread is completely wrong. Poor shooting is ALWAYS a bad thing!

citay said:
One other note about shooting slumps: They always have a bad effect on the defense. You bust your butt on defense, only to come up dry on offense, and the tendency is to lose focus on defense as well. We definitely saw this during the Stanford game, when they were getting open look after open look, the while our offense was stagnating.

Come to think of it, the title of this thread is completely wrong. Poor shooting is ALWAYS a bad thing!

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was reading this thinking the same thing. Gotta be able to score to win!

citay said:

Yeah I agree I was just trying make the title sound positive. But the broader point is maybe we can't have both at our level of recruiting and if you had to choose...

Funny Griz are poor shooters....yet Tech just took them to the woodshed with great shooting. How can an NAIA team get good shooters and we can’t?

AZGrizFan said:
Funny Griz are poor shooters....yet Tech just took them to the woodshed with great shooting. How can an NAIA team get good shooters and we can’t?

How does EWU have 8k seat stadium and get a great QB every year...the sad mysteries of life :|

Back