• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz vs Fresno St

LG have some talent. Inside and out. Didn't play well last times. Seemed to lose focus. Are 9 or 10 deep. They can and should improve.

Fresno has some good players, lots of quickness, good hands, moves fast, and got to loose balls quick than the LG.

LG went down early and couldn't get a bucket. Then came back to tie at quarter. Lost focus later in the 2d quarter. Ended half with 3 straight turnovers. Had only 15, but too many. Lots of bad passes. Inexplicably, Stiles had 5. She played fine or good otherwise, but the TO's probably caused her to come out about 90 seconds into second half and not get back in until under 4 in game.

Fresno pulled away in third quarter and start of 4th Q. Fresno subbed and LG got it closer than it was later in game.

The 3 bigger posts are good including Pickens. She is big and strong, and can power up for the score. She is going to be a great player. Stockholm and Anderson have improved. They could all score against Fresno.

Johnston had 19 in 367 minutes. She is wearing a huge knee brace. She moved well and wasn't limping. The brace is causing her to leave her braced leg behind un free throws. she was 7-11 from the floor. Lots of shots in the paint.

Most everyone else was pretty good, but not great.

LG were 0-12 from 3, but still shot 44%, slightly better than Fresno. So, 25-45 from 2. Shot over 70% from the line. Got out rebounded a bit. Blocks were 7-1 for LG. LG had 42 pounds in the paint, including the posts and Johnston.

I think the team is better than last year and has potential to be pretty good. They need to work out a lot of kinks, tho.

Mandy Carver is a Fresno assistant. The head coach used to coach at UNC.

PlayerRep said:
LG have some talent. Inside and out. Didn't play well last times. Seemed to lose focus. Are 9 or 10 deep. They can and should improve.

Fresno has some good players, lots of quickness, good hands, moves fast, and got to loose balls quick than the LG.

LG went down early and couldn't get a bucket. Then came back to tie at quarter. Lost focus later in the 2d quarter. Ended half with 3 straight turnovers. Had only 15, but too many. Lots of bad passes. Inexplicably, Stiles had 5. She played fine or good otherwise, but the TO's probably caused her to come out about 90 seconds into second half and not get back in until under 4 in game.

Fresno pulled away in third quarter and start of 4th Q. Fresno subbed and LG got it closer than it was later in game.

The 3 bigger posts are good including Pickens. She is big and strong, and can power up for the score. She is going to be a great player. Stockholm and Anderson have improved. They could all score against Fresno.

Johnston had 19 in 367 minutes. She is wearing a huge knee brace. She moved well and wasn't limping. The brace is causing her to leave her braced leg behind un free throws. she was 7-11 from the floor. Lots of shots in the paint.

Most everyone else was pretty good, but not great.

LG were 0-12 from 3, but still shot 44%, slightly better than Fresno. So, 25-45 from 2. Shot over 70% from the line. Got out rebounded a bit. Blocks were 7-1 for LG. LG had 42 pounds in the paint, including the posts and Johnston.

I think the team is better than last year and has potential to be pretty good. They need to work out a lot of kinks, tho.

Mandy Carver is a Fresno assistant. The head coach used to coach at UNC.

Excellent report, PlayerRep. Fresno State's full court pressure was relentless & had Griz out of synch all game. Probably good for Montana to face that kind of pressure early, because I think they're capable of handling it (Most Griz turnovers were at half court).

I see early signs of a powerful Montana front court. Depth & some solid back-to-the bucket play. Anderson has improved a ton with her mid-paint pivot shot. Pickens has surprising core strength for a frosh... and great rebounding instincts. Stockholm showing much improved D over last season.

[media]https://twitter.com/quartzglen/status/1195587799266643968[/media]

Lots of contrast between the teams, FS is well rounded in most aspects of the game-really played well together, nice consistent flow. FS really tore us up w/3's,rebounds, and pressure defense. Nice Lgriz roundup Playerrep, , yes lots of potential. But wow the rebounds, (not a lot of blocking out, aggressive boards) low 3's and overall poor shooting, turnovers, and game flow was....not good. Johnston, much better ball play, (assists/shot selection/bounds) w/o her outstanding game, this would have been a major blowout. Camera shot of Shannon at game end was dour, I don't blame her, she should expect way more out these kids, better next game!

Same story different game. Can't shoot from the outside. Offensive setups are non-existant. no inside-out game. And most of all - no defense! Fresno State out hustled us from the get go. Their fundamentals were impressive. To play at their speed you have to have great ball control. That is a coaching thing. You play like you practice. Having only a 13 man roster and so many girls playing injured makes it tuff to finish strong in March.

moneyball said:
Same story different game. Can't shoot from the outside. Offensive setups are non-existant. no inside-out game. And most of all - no defense! Fresno State out hustled us from the get go. Their fundamentals were impressive. To play at their speed you have to have great ball control. That is a coaching thing. You play like you practice. Having only a 13 man roster and so many girls playing injured makes it tuff to finish strong in March.

Another loss to a mediocre D1 program that turned around and got thumped at the U of Portland. Sounds like the same story we have been discussing for 3 years now, "so many girls injured", "can't make a 3", "so much potential"....blah, blah, blah. When will everyone realize with this coaching staff and recruiting philosophy, the beloved Lady Griz are an average Big Sky Conference team at best.

westsider said:
moneyball said:

Another loss to a mediocre D1 program that turned around and got thumped at the U of Portland. Sounds like the same story we have been discussing for 3 years now, "so many girls injured", "can't make a 3", "so much potential"....blah, blah, blah. When will everyone realize with this coaching staff and recruiting philosophy, the beloved Lady Griz are an average Big Sky Conference team at best.

Not saying that coaching isn't the problem, as I don't know. But, this team does not have huge injuries and has good depth. It also has 3 posts, one of whom is going to be able score down low even when guarded by a taller post. Pickens. UM hasn't had that for awhile. Plus, the posts can pass. Lots of things would have to improve and be cleaned up from the Fresno game, but I think a number of the pieces are there. And I assume Covill will add something. Perhaps if they don't improve much, your point will be underscored.

The cleaning up and improvements have been noted above. Cutting down on turnovers. I don't see Stiles ever having 5 again in her career. Many of the LG turnovers were just inexplicable lazy passers. Hustling more to balls on the floor and coming out long. Fresno was super quick to them. Shooting better from 3. They can certainly do better. Note that the LG shot over 40% overall and better than Fresno, is my recollection. The LG need more out of Fatkin. I think she's got the talent and will come on. Pickens is going to get better and better, fast, as she plays more of the college game. Defense needs to improve. I assume that can be done, but don't know.

I am still hopeful. I have seen only 1 game, and 1 early scrimmage.

westsider said:
moneyball said:

I agree. When reading the article on the Lady Griz website Shannon in her own words tells us what is wrong.

1. "It was one of those nights when you put people in looking for a spark from somebody, and we couldn't find it," said coach Shannon Schweyen, whose team went 0 for 12 from the arc.

"We got a lot of good looks. (not Really) We just had a really tough time buying an outside one. It was one of those nights when the offense was not clicking. You hate nights(3+ years) like that. It's frustrating." (we know)

(the outdated offense rarely clicks)

2. "We had a lot of kids doing some uncharacteristic things," said Schweyen. "I felt like we had a few too many turnovers against their press, unforced ones." (have you ever wondered why the lady Griz don't press?)

(poor fundamentals - dribbling, passing, shooting,footwork)

3. And when Fresno State did miss, it was just as often(ummm actually more 15-8 FSU) the Bulldogs chasing down the offensive rebounds as it was the Lady Griz.

"The O boards were big. They hustled down a bunch of long rebounds," said Schweyen. "You've got to be ready to run them down, and it felt like we were in quicksand. (coaching point - how do you make them "ready to run them down"?)

"They were reacting a little quicker than us. They are a good team. To give them that many second-chance points, we can't do that." (hey Shannon...you can't tell the girls how they should play, they need to be shown in practice)

(you play like you practice)

4. "That's what this time of year is about, learning about ourselves and where we need to improve," said Schweyen. "(Fresno State) exposed some things that we need to get better at." (no ***t Carrol did too)

(everyone who has followed the Lady Griz for a while now knows where we need to improve. What we need is a coach who can teach them.)

Isn't it amazing that not once since Shannon took over has she ever taken any responsibility for how the girls play!! It is always the girls not "stepping up" or injuries or something else. The style of the Lady Griz play, Lack of shooting skills, fundamentals and speed of play are all corrected by good coaching. Change be coming!

PlayerRep said:
westsider said:
moneyball said:

Not saying that coaching isn't the problem, as I don't know. But, this team does not have huge injuries and has good depth. It also has 3 posts, one of whom is going to be able score down low even when guarded by a taller post. Pickens. UM hasn't had that for awhile. Plus, the posts can pass. Lots of things would have to improve and be cleaned up from the Fresno game, but I think a number of the pieces are there. And I assume Covill will add something. Perhaps if they don't improve much, your point will be underscored.

The cleaning up and improvements have been noted above. Cutting down on turnovers. I don't see Stiles ever having 5 again in her career. Many of the LG turnovers were just inexplicable lazy passers. Hustling more to balls on the floor and coming out long. Fresno was super quick to them. Shooting better from 3. They can certainly do better. Note that the LG shot over 40% overall and better than Fresno, is my recollection. The LG need more out of Fatkin. I think she's got the talent and will come on. Pickens is going to get better and better, fast, as she plays more of the college game. Defense needs to improve. I assume that can be done, but don't know.

MJ has a torn meniscus.
Stiles is recovering from a torn ACL and her shoulder keeps popping out.
GOGO Is recovering from knee surgery as well and a problematic groin.
Madi is still recovering from foot and other injuries as well.
Shelby's career is probably done.

No injured girls here - just move along.

moneyball said:
westsider said:
moneyball said:

I agree. When reading the article on the Lady Griz website Shannon in her own words tells us what is wrong.

1. "It was one of those nights when you put people in looking for a spark from somebody, and we couldn't find it," said coach Shannon Schweyen, whose team went 0 for 12 from the arc.

"We got a lot of good looks. (not Really) We just had a really tough time buying an outside one. It was one of those nights when the offense was not clicking. You hate nights(3+ years) like that. It's frustrating." (we know)

2. "We had a lot of kids doing some uncharacteristic things," said Schweyen. "I felt like we had a few too many turnovers against their press, unforced ones." (have you ever wondered why the lady Griz don't press?)

3. And when Fresno State did miss, it was just as often(ummm actually more 15-8 FSU) the Bulldogs chasing down the offensive rebounds as it was the Lady Griz.

"The O boards were big. They hustled down a bunch of long rebounds," said Schweyen. "You've got to be ready to run them down, and it felt like we were in quicksand. (coaching point - how do you make them "ready to run them down"?)

"They were reacting a little quicker than us. They are a good team. To give them that many second-chance points, we can't do that." (hey Shannon...you can't tell the girls how they should play, they need to be shown in practice)

4. "That's what this time of year is about, learning about ourselves and where we need to improve," said Schweyen. "(Fresno State) exposed some things that we need to get better at." (no ***t Carrol did too)

(everyone who has followed the Lady Griz for a while now knows where we need to improve. What we need is a coach who can teach them.)

Isn't it amazing that not once since Shannon took over has she ever taken any responsibility for how the girls play!! It is always the girls not "stepping up" or injuries or something else. The style of the Lady Griz play, Lack of shooting skills, fundamentals and speed of play are all corrected by good coaching. Change be coming!

The cats men have an entirely different, defensive focused, better team from a coaching change alone. That’s how much a good coach makes a difference. I have no more faith in Shannon. None.

HookedonGriz said:
moneyball said:
westsider said:
moneyball said:

The cats men have an entirely different, defensive focused, better team from a coaching change alone. That’s how much a good coach makes a difference. I have no more faith in Shannon. None.

:clap:

moneyball said:
PlayerRep said:
westsider said:
moneyball said:

MJ has a torn meniscus.

I don't see these as "huge" injuries, compared to the past several years.

MJ was playing very well, not limping, and shot very well as against Fresno. The brace impacts here free throw shooting stance. She played 37 minutes, had no TO and shot 7-11.

Stiles is about 20 months away from her knee injury. She just needs to work off the rust from not playing last season. She's good and healthy enough to start.

Madi played 15 minutes. Seems to be working her way back.

Shelby wasn't a factor last year and probably wouldn't have been this year.

Try providing some accurate information next time. Try supporting the team.

PlayerRep said:
moneyball said:
PlayerRep said:
westsider said:

MJ has a torn meniscus.

MJ was playing very well, not limping, and shot very well as against Fresno. The brace impacts here free throw shooting stance. She played 37 minutes, had no TO and shot 7-11.

Stiles is about 20 months away from her knee injury. She just needs to work off the rust from not playing last season. She's good and healthy enough to start.

All the information I stated above is accurate and common knowledge. We won't know how those injuries will affect the players in the short term. As we become "battle" tested we will have a better Idea. I do support the players. I just don't support the coach, and not just because of her coaching deficiencies. I will say this...when you play a kid with a torn meniscus for 37 minutes a game for an entire season you run the risk of further damage for the rest of her life. It is not just about the game.

moneyball said:
PlayerRep said:
moneyball said:
PlayerRep said:

MJ has a torn meniscus.

All the information I stated above is accurate and common knowledge. We won't know how those injuries will affect the players in the short term. As we become "battle" tested we will have a better Idea. I do support the players. I just don't support the coach, and not just because of her coaching deficiencies. I will say this...when you play a kid with a torn meniscus for 37 minutes a game for an entire season you run the risk of further damage for the rest of her life. It is not just about the game.

Johnston has more than a torn meniscus. She also has a partial MCL tear. I agree with you that playing 37 minute is too much, especially as MJ is so important to the team. Lose her, and it will be a disaster.
Not only did she play 37 minutes in the Fresno game, I think she played the entire 4th quarter (she may have come out at the end, not 100% sure), when the outcome was already decided. MJ will always be tasked with playing lots of minutes, this would have been an ideal time to rest her a bit for the upcoming battles.

moneyball said:
PlayerRep said:
moneyball said:
PlayerRep said:

MJ has a torn meniscus.

I doubt that the coach is making MJ play. MJ is obviously a competitor, and a terrific player. She's wearing the biggest knee brace I've ever seen. She doesn't seem to be limping at all, tho.

PlayerRep said:
moneyball said:
PlayerRep said:
moneyball said:
MJ has a torn meniscus.

I doubt that the coach is making MJ play. MJ is obviously a competitor, and a terrific player. She's wearing the biggest knee brace I've ever seen. She doesn't seem to be limping at all, tho.

There is no doubt MJ is a competitor. And that she is a terrific player. She probably never gives up until the final buzzer. But when the outcome of the game is already obvious, and the Lady Griz need her for the long season ahead, she needs to be rested. The more she plays the better chance of aggravating her knee injuries. Her coach needs to rest her in garbage time.

Back