• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kral Ferch MSU

Ferch45

Kral Ferch for Montana State in the mid 80's had a 45 inch vertical jump. Only 6 players in NBA history had a vertical of 46 or more. That "Cat" could jump.

Kral was listed as a 6-4 forward was closer to 6-2. Could fricken jump out of the gym! I can not tell you how many times I saw him hit/graze his head on the on the back board after a dunk! My favorite Bobcat basketball Moment of all time was during the 1st round of the NCAA tournament when he got a steal drove full court towards the hoop with 6-10 St John's all american and future NBA'er Shelton Jones standing in the key waiting for him. The TV Talking heads basketball experts announced " Ferch better pull back there is no way he is getting around Jones" They were right and every true Bobcat who had ever seen Kral play knew what was going to happen next. Kral Ferch WENT OVER HIM FOR THE SLAM!

Watch below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_sLW9HIAFI

only a 42-inch vertical :lol: :lol: :lol:
PeauxRouge said:
What a weird first post on a Griz board.

. . . St. John's also had 6-8 Shelton Jones, who was from Brooklyn. So it was hoops at its most fundamental when, in the heat of a spirited second-half run by the crowd's darling, Montana State, Ferch found himself in the middle of a fast break with only Jones to beat.
"He said in postgame interviews, he thought I was going to lay it in," Ferch said. "My size . . . white kid from Montana . . ."
What Jones couldn't know was Ferch had a 42-inch vertical jump. He won a state high-jump championship at 6 feet 10 inches and could touch 11-9.. Suddenly, as 10,000 jaws dropped, Ferch took the ball in a palm, soared massively over Jones and dunked. Brooklyn, meet Livingston, Mont.
Ferch is now in computer programming in San Diego, which is probably not as exciting as dunking over Shelton Jones.

Mslacat said:
Kral was listed as a 6-4 forward was closer to 6-2. Could fricken jump out of the gym! I can not tell you how many times I saw him hit/graze his head on the on the back board after a dunk! My favorite Bobcat basketball Moment of all time was during the 1st round of the NCAA tournament when he got a steal drove full court towards the hoop with 6-10 St John's all american and future NBA'er Shelton Jones standing in the key waiting for him. The TV Talking heads basketball experts announced " Ferch better pull back there is no way he is getting around Jones" They were right and every true Bobcat who had ever seen Kral play knew what was going to happen next. Kral Ferch WENT OVER HIM FOR THE SLAM!

Watch below

Trolls. But growing up, Kral, Shan, and the Dominator, were very fun to watch, and we’re a very special team in the Big Sky. Shortly there after, I became a Griz Fan for Life, but they were very good! Kral was something for sure..

Proud Griz Man said:
only a 42-inch vertical :lol: :lol: :lol:
PeauxRouge said:
What a weird first post on a Griz board.

. . . St. John's also had 6-8 Shelton Jones, who was from Brooklyn. So it was hoops at its most fundamental when, in the heat of a spirited second-half run by the crowd's darling, Montana State, Ferch found himself in the middle of a fast break with only Jones to beat.
"He said in postgame interviews, he thought I was going to lay it in," Ferch said. "My size . . . white kid from Montana . . ."
What Jones couldn't know was Ferch had a 42-inch vertical jump. He won a state high-jump championship at 6 feet 10 inches and could touch 11-9.. Suddenly, as 10,000 jaws dropped, Ferch took the ball in a palm, soared massively over Jones and dunked. Brooklyn, meet Livingston, Mont.
Ferch is now in computer programming in San Diego, which is probably not as exciting as dunking over Shelton Jones.

That game was played in Long Beach, Ca. I was living in Long Beach at the time and I attended the game. They played a good game,however they couldn’t pull off the win.

Mslacat said:

Watch below

I saw that play in real time too. Was really quite amazing.

Kral played for my beloved Livingston Rangers. His father was the head coach of the Rangers at the time. His brother Shawn was a leaper as well. Livingston had some good basketball teams in those days. Lot of memories back then.

Didn't one or both of them go on to play volleyball at a very high level? They were both incredible athletes.

grizpack said:
Didn't one or both of them go on to play volleyball at a very high level? They were both incredible athletes.
Kral did. After Kral graduated from MSU, Shann finished up his college hoops career at Pepperdine before playing professionally overseas for some time. He’s now a professor at Gonzaga and an author. He’s as much of a legend in Spokane as he was in Montana, with multiple Hoopfest championships and countless stories of him schooling Gonzaga players in pickup games.

Shann played 2 years for MSU and went to Pepperdine. My wife works for his wife Jennifer at NBC Camps. Great people. So my wife works foe Kral’s brother’s wife. Haha

I remember that game. If there was a 3 point line, MSU wins it going away. They could shoot

His dad coached at St. Labre before Livingston. I believe Kral played his freshman and maybe sophomore year there. At Livingston they had some great teams. One game in particular vs Hardin with Jonathan Takes Enemy (still in my opinion one of the best high school players in Montana history) was incredible. Both teams over 100 before 3 point line. I can't even remember who won.

Back