• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bulletin board material from Matt Dlouhy

JoshUW

SIXTEEN CANDLES: Looking at things positively, or foolishly, depending on one's postseason point of view, Montana forward Matt Dlouhy said top-seeded Washington is a good draw for his upstart No. 16 team.

Of course, the sophomore from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, is cognizant of the fact a region's lowest-seeded entry has never beaten the top dog. Still, he presses on with hope.

"I feel we got incredibly lucky," Dlouhy told The Idaho Statesman. "I think out of all the ones, twos and some of the threes (seeds), Washington is probably the best team we could have ended up with. We kind of look at it like we got a 14 or 15 (seed) and ended up with a two or three seed. If there ever is a chance to beat a one seed, I think this is the year.

"I just think Washington has had a few struggles this year."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/216182_umenbok16.html

I guess we'll find out!

Unfortunate that it made the press.... but I think he, and everybody else in the country feel the same way.

I mean....who would you rather play? UNC, DUKE, ILLINIOS...or UW? Heck..... I'd rather play UW than OK st, Kentucky, Uconn, Wake Forest, or even Gonzaga. This is not meant as a dis to UW and the season they've had. They are a top 10 ten in the nation.... but out of all the draws a team like UM could get...... This is about as good as it could be IMO.

There is a reason why all these "know-it-all" types on ESPN talk about Gonzaga's biggest hurdle in this bracket being Wake....

I hope y'all do well...and represent the west well.

The other nice thing about drawing Washington is Montana will be playing in Boise now. Any of the other 1-3 seeds (except Arizona), and Montana wouldn't be as close to home. I'm willing to bet that Matt also mentioned that to the Idaho Standard, but the Seattle PI "overlooked" that part.

I think Doug Gottlieb's comments offer plenty of bulletin board material for the Huskies. I don't think they need to be grasping at straws when a Montana player puts a positive spin on his team's draw. I'm not too impressed by their "positively or foolishly" quote. I don't see what that does for the print except impose a feeling that Montana is foolish in believing they have a chance. If anything, I see this as Montana bulletin board material because the Seattle PI is mocking them for holding onto hope for a win.

"Montana is going into this game with the mind-set that they may win? Those arrogant bastards!" :roll:

In the Seattle PI Monday by one of their scholar athletes, Will Conroy who was dead serious;

As we all know, Montana has no hope in hell. But just to give the Griz a glimmer of something, I've got material for their bulletin board and proof that Washington has athlete-students among its student-athletes.

It bothers schools from remote locations when big-city schools don't know anything about them. When that happens, it engenders a feeling of "we'll show them who we are" when the ball goes up.

To that end, the Go 2 Guy asked a few Huskies if they knew where the University of Montana is located. "No, not at all," said Jamaal Williams.

"Idaho?" answered/asked Will Conroy. "No, wait a minute, that's a state."

"What do you know about the Grizzlies?" I asked Robinson.

"Who?" he replied.

"Montana, the Grizzlies," I said.

"Nah, that's why I asked," he said. "I thought you were talking about the NBA team."

Nope, Missoula, Mont., not Memphis, Tenn.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/215821_moore14.html

The Washington players do a good job of treating Montana with respect on national telecasts. It's unfair that Jim Moore aka "Go 2 Guy" :roll:, wrote the article with a snobbish "Montana has no hope in hell" attitude. I wonder how much of his own spin he used to quote the players. It's obvious that he isn't giving the Grizzlies respect, but I'm not sure about the Washington team. Yeah, they may be dumber than a box of rocks (C'mon, Missoula is the 2nd largest town in MT only 475 miles away), but its hard to tell if they are over-looking Montana.

It seems to me like the pretentious jackasses in Seattle don't play for the UW basketball team, but rather write for the Seattle PI.

I would be willing to bet that if you asked most of those players where WSU was located they couldn't tell you even though they all have probably played there a time or two. The fact is, a lot of people from big cities have no idea that the rest of the world exists. Not ripping on any one or any class here, just stating a fact. Also, I am not sure most people in Montana could tell you where North Dakota State or the University of North Dakota or even the University of Minnesota is located for that matter. My point is, I don't think it is disrespectful at all, that is just the way it is. Either way, there will only be 5 guys on the court for them as well. I just hope that the Griz see this as an opportunity to play harder and smarter than they have ever played. Go Griz!!!!!!!!!!!

GrizMoose said:
I would be willing to bet that if you asked most of those players where WSU was located they couldn't tell you even though they all have probably played there a time or two. The fact is, a lot of people from big cities have no idea that the rest of the world exists. Not ripping on any one or any class here, just stating a fact. Also, I am not sure most people in Montana could tell you where North Dakota State or the University of North Dakota or even the University of Minnesota is located for that matter. My point is, I don't think it is disrespectful at all, that is just the way it is. Either way, there will only be 5 guys on the court for them as well. I just hope that the Griz see this as an opportunity to play harder and smarter than they have ever played. Go Griz!!!!!!!!!!!
I would think everyone should be able to get the state right at least though.

I can guarantee you that at least 50% of UW's basketball team didn't know where UW was located before they took their recruiting trip. And 50% of that 50% didn't know where it was AFTER their recruiting trip.

The Griz make history starting at 1 pm today:

(16) Montana - 68
(1) Washington - 66

:fist:

I am glad he thinks they have a legitimate shot. The tourney is all about match-ups. I don't think they will win but I am still going to be bummed when they lose. He has a great attitude for a player. He isn't a fan, he doesn't have the luxury of viewing games as anything other than "must win" situations.

ESPN guy on the radio said we're the best of the 16 seeds so we have that going for us.
fingers crossed that we play well and they overlook us.
go Griz do us proud.

Latest posts

Back