• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Our Recruiting Prowess

citygriz

We've heaped praise on this staff for their recruiting abilities, but here's one more bit of evidence: The rankings by 247 Sports of the top high school players in California for the Class of 2019.

Note that our very own Derrick Carter-Hollinger ranks #24 in the entire state. Also note that both Gonzaga and Oregon State recruited three players off this list--yet not one ranked as high as Carter-Hollinger.

When in the history of Montana basketball have we recruited the #24 player in the state of California?

And here's my own personal take: Both Kyle Owens and Josh Vazquez deserved to be on that list as well, and will prove that as college players.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=ca

citay said:
We've heaped praise on this staff for their recruiting abilities, but here's one more bit of evidence: The rankings by 247 Sports of the top high school players in California for the Class of 2019.

Note that our very own Derrick Carter-Hollinger ranks #24 in the entire state. Also note that both Gonzaga and Oregon State recruited three players off this list--yet not one ranked as high as Carter-Hollinger.

When in the history of Montana basketball have we recruited the #24 player in the state of California?

And here's my own personal take: Both Kyle Owens and Josh Vazquez deserved to be on that list as well, and will prove that as college players.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=ca

That would be Kareem Jamar who came in exactly at #24 on the same 247 rankings. Kareem was also had a 91 rating by ESPN

Will Cherry #32 in California by 247.

StumptownGriz said:
citay said:

That would be Kareem Jamar who came in exactly at #24 on the same 247 rankings. Kareem was also had a 91 rating by ESPN

Jeez, Stump: Don't pester me with facts!

citay said:
StumptownGriz said:
citay said:

How can this be? Griz basketball began when they hired Decuire!

citay said:
StumptownGriz said:
citay said:

HAHA! Sorry I wasn't trying to take the wind out of your sails here. Your post brings up a really exciting/interesting topic. To elaborate....

I was surprised at how high DCH is ranked. Top 25 in the state of California is high major talent in my opinion so an absolute steal for Decuire although I think he's proving to have high-major recruiting ability (along with coach Cobb).

I never looked into our 3 freshman's rankings, but my gut always told me that Vasquez had the highest ranking due to his polish and mature game as a PG.

Owens I saw as the next highest. A bit of a tweener who is still growing and posses' a swiss army knife-like skill-set. Just needs some time to mature physically.

DCH I saw as more of a raw athlete. A run and jump undersized 4 that could develop into a guy who could guard 4 positions immediately and we'd hope his perimeter game developed. I was thinking of a Karl Nicholas who actually played defense.

Shows you how much I know! The upside of this trio is unbelievable and rivals that of the promise that Kareem Jamar and Will Cherry showed at Freshman. I think Kareem was the highest rated HS recruit we have landed in a long, long time with Cherry not far behind him in those rankings.

I am also astounded by this class. Remembere, let's not overlook Eddy Egun who -- as a redshirt frosh -- is technically in this class.

And I keep wondering (or hoping) if there might be one more... with three days of summer remaining before classes start and all rostered players have to be registered for class. I keep checking back with Verbal Recruits and see that Jamon Kemp, who was offered by the Griz, still hasn't officially announced a decision (along with quite a few other players & transfers). Kemp, a grad of Seattle's Rainier Beach H.S., is considered anywhere from the 5th-to-8th best prep player in Washington's class of 2019.

grizzlyjournal said:
I am also astounded by this class. Remembere, let's not overlook Eddy Egun who -- as a redshirt frosh -- is technically in this class.

And I keep wondering (or hoping) if there might be one more... with three days of summer remaining before classes start and all rostered players have to be registered for class. I keep checking back with Verbal Recruits and see that Jamon Kemp, who was offered by the Griz, still hasn't officially announced a decision (along with quite a few other players & transfers). Kemp, a grad of Seattle's Garfield H.S., is considered anywhere from the 5th-to-8th best prep player in Washington's class of 2019.

I'm extremely high on Egun, glad you brought him up. He is incredibly long, rangy and athletic. He could develop into an absolutely smothering defender if he has the right mental make-up and "want to" to be an elite defender. LOVE his enthusiasm and support of his teammates. Big time young talent in Egun.

The young talent on this team that will surround Steadman and Naseem Gaskin next year is pretty unreal. If we can add one more legit big, that team will have the size, length and athleticism to compete with the big boys in the tourney. Will they have the shooting ability though?

Sorry for derailing a bit there. Can you tell I'm excited about our future? :lol:

Vaughn Autry though not ranked by 247 was actually ranked higher than Jamar by ESPN in the same class. A 92 grade, 4 star ranked the 27th best point guard nationally. Didn't play out that way. Did he even make it a semester?

MtTarheel said:
Vaughn Autry though not ranked by 247 was actually ranked higher than Jamar by ESPN in the same class. A 92 grade, 4 star ranked the 27th best point guard nationally. Didn't play out that way. Did he even make it a semester?

Vaughn Autry was from Northern California, Santa Cruz I believe. That was a pipeline that Tinks developed, and that also brought us another big center, whose name I have forgotten. I had high hopes for both of them, but neither panned out.

citay said:
MtTarheel said:

Vaughn Autry was from Northern California, Santa Cruz I believe. That was a pipeline that Tinks developed, and that also brought us another big center, whose name I have forgotten. I had high hopes for both of them, but neither panned out.
Billy Reader was the center who didn't pan out.

GrizWhiz said:
citay said:
MtTarheel said:

Van Fleet (sp?) was the big from CA. I believe, Reader was from OR.

GrizWhiz said:
citay said:
MtTarheel said:

I loved watching Billy during his brief time here. I know some things aren't meant to be, but he had a toughness that would have been great for our team at the time. I know he lurks and posts on occasion here. Hope his coaching job is going well for him for now.

StumptownGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

And I keep wondering (or hoping) if there might be one more... with three days of summer remaining before classes start and all rostered players have to be registered for class. I keep checking back with Verbal Recruits and see that Jamon Kemp, who was offered by the Griz, still hasn't officially announced a decision (along with quite a few other players & transfers). Kemp, a grad of Seattle's Garfield H.S., is considered anywhere from the 5th-to-8th best prep player in Washington's class of 2019.

I'm extremely high on Egun, glad you brought him up. He is incredibly long, rangy and athletic. He could develop into an absolutely smothering defender if he has the right mental make-up and "want to" to be an elite defender. LOVE his enthusiasm and support of his teammates. Big time young talent in Egun.

The young talent on this team that will surround Steadman and Naseem Gaskin next year is pretty unreal. If we can add one more legit big, that team will have the size, length and athleticism to compete with the big boys in the tourney. Will they have the shooting ability though?

Sorry for derailing a bit there. Can you tell I'm excited about our future? :lol:

Agree 100%! This guy will be Oguine-like! :thumb:

grizzlyjournal said:

And I keep wondering (or hoping) if there might be one more... with three days of summer remaining before classes start and all rostered players have to be registered for class. I keep checking back with Verbal Recruits and see that Jamon Kemp, who was offered by the Griz, still hasn't officially announced a decision (along with quite a few other players & transfers). Kemp, a grad of Seattle's Rainier Beach H.S., is considered anywhere from the 5th-to-8th best prep player in Washington's class of 2019.

Would love it if Kemp would come. Imagine the group of the three incoming freshmen, Egan, Gaskin, and Kemp all practicing together for four years and being seniors together. Hard to keep all six kids from transferring in today’s environment, but imagine. And add in the Aussies and others behind them. Imagine Anderson redshirting and being with that group.

DCH is a freak athlete for his size, but and here is the big but, he doesn’t likely have a true position at the college level. He was a man among boys down here last year, and is more physically developed than any other high school hoops player that I have seen in recent memory.

I had heard, and I don’t know how precise it is, that his recruitment had been stifled by the fact that some schools saw him as too short for his true position at a power forward. How true that is, I honestly don’t know but that is what was relayed to me a colleague down here.

He was as I have noted elsewhere, the most physically imposing player in San Diego Division last year. Seeing a bit of him on TV or live feed, I can see why or where the concerns might have been. What I do know, is that he was a bitch of a matchup for anyone. I think Kareem Jamar would be a similar comparison, but I think DCH was and is further ahead athletically than KJ was. From what I saw, I think KJ was further ahead offensively. He could beat bigger guys off the floor, and absolutely man handle smaller players physically.

I really was and am excited about what he could provide. He plays taller and bigger than his size and happy the UM ended up with him. While I think there is little to no chance he gets redshirted, I would have thought of the three freshmen he probably had the greatest chance when he was first recruited.

Grizfan-24 said:
DCH is a freak athlete for his size, but and here is the big but, he doesn’t likely have a true position at the college level. He was a man among boys down here last year, and is more physically developed than any other high school hoops player that I have seen in recent memory.

I had heard, and I don’t know how precise it is, that his recruitment had been stifled by the fact that some schools saw him as too short for his true position at a power forward. How true that is, I honestly don’t know but that is what was relayed to me a colleague down here.

He was as I have noted elsewhere, the most physically imposing player in San Diego Division last year. Seeing a bit of him on TV or live feed, I can see why or where the concerns might have been. What I do know, is that he was a bitch of a matchup for anyone. I think Kareem Jamar would be a similar comparison, but I think DCH was and is further ahead athletically than KJ was. From what I saw, I think KJ was further ahead offensively. He could beat bigger guys off the floor, and absolutely man handle smaller players physically.

I really was and am excited about what he could provide. He plays taller and bigger than his size and happy the UM ended up with him. While I think there is little to no chance he gets redshirted, I would have thought of the three freshmen he probably had the greatest chance when he was first recruited.

Grizfan 24:

The first fallacy of debate is arguing from specifics, yet your post sparked a specific example of a player that reminds me a lot of what you said about Carter-Hollinger, especially about his size. This is a kid who as a collegian was an excellent rebounder and played bigger than his size, but because he came from a small school and was only 6'8", the consensus was his post-moves and rebounding skills would not translate to the NBA. Great collegian? Yes. Pro? Nah. The drafter "experts" had weighed in!

And so here's who went ahead of him in the first round in his '06 draft class: Andrea Bargnani, Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, Sheldon Williams, Randy Foyle, Partick O'Bryant, Mohamed Sene, Hilton Armstrong, Ronnie Brewer, Cedric Simmons, Rodney Carney, Shawne Williams, Olesky Pecherov, Quincy Douby, Renaldo Blackman, Marcus Williams, Josh Boone, Shannon Brown, Jordan Farmar, Sergio Rodriguez, Maurice Acee, Mardy Collins aand Joel Freeman. And that was just in the first round. There were another 16 picks in the second round before somebody took a chance on this kid!

That team was the Utah Jazz, and luckily for them, given all the "expert" opinion that this kid was not as good as any of the players mentioned above, he turned out okay, in fact has been a four-time NBA all-star and is in the second year of a $90 million contract: Paul Millsap.

Watching Carter-Hollinger's videos, like Millsap, he seems to me just too talented, too dominant at the high school level, not to excel at the collegiate level. My hunch: Sooner than many of us expect. And I believe I have an ally who is on record about this, stating that Carter-Hollinger can contribute immediately: Travis DeCuire.

citay said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Grizfan 24:

The first fallacy of debate is arguing from specifics, yet your post sparked a specific example of a player that reminds me a lot of what you said about Carter-Hollinger, especially about his size. This is a kid who as a collegian was an excellent rebounder and played bigger than his size, but because he came from a small school and was only 6'8", the consensus was his post-moves and rebounding skills would not translate to the NBA. Great collegian? Yes. Pro? Nah. The drafter "experts" had weighed in!

And so here's who went ahead of him in the first round in his '06 draft class: Andrea Bargnani, Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, Sheldon Williams, Randy Foyle, Partick O'Bryant, Mohamed Sene, Hilton Armstrong, Ronnie Brewer, Cedric Simmons, Rodney Carney, Shawne Williams, Olesky Pecherov, Quincy Douby, Renaldo Blackman, Marcus Williams, Josh Boone, Shannon Brown, Jordan Farmar, Sergio Rodriguez, Maurice Acee, Mardy Collins aand Joel Freeman. And that was just in the first round. There were another 16 picks in the second round before somebody took a chance on this kid!

That team was the Utah Jazz, and luckily for them, given all the "expert" opinion that this kid was not as good as any of the players mentioned above, he turned out okay, in fact has been a four-time NBA all-star and is in the second year of a $90 million contract: Paul Millsap.

Watching Carter-Hollinger's videos, like Millsap, he seems to me just too talented, too dominant at the high school level, not to excel at the collegiate level. My hunch: Sooner than many of us expect. And I believe I have an ally who is on record about this, stating that Carter-Hollinger can contribute immediately: Travis DeCuire.

Cee-Tay...

I am in agreement. In total agreement.

I think there is a dearth of coaching talent out west, and judging by the mediocrity of Pac12 programs, I can understand why some of these players do go under recruited. I do believe and listening to some of my coaching friends, I am beginning to believe the dependence on recruiting spring and summer AAU tournaments does play some role in the ability to overlook certain players and more specifically certain types of players.

A couple of guys I worked with were mystified as to why DCH wasn't recruited more by larger schools, and their only explanation is that he wasn't the classic long 3 and D guy that colleges have become obsessed in recruiting and his lack of ideal height.

That won't stop DCH from being a talented college player, or tearing apart the BSC. His game is imposing and he is so strong 15 feet in. I think people will be pretty impressed his ability to defend bigs. Like I said I liked the Jamar comparison, and yours is in fact better: Millsap.

Back