• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Larry K basketball card

your wrong

DONOR
I have a Larry K basketball card that I would like to give to someone who could appreciate it. I just found it when I moved and must have gotten it in a pack as a kid.

You might donate it to a fund raiser or donate it to the Champions Center if you can't find a taker. Heck, even Larry K. might have a use for it.

cclarkblues said:
You might donate it to a fund raiser or donate it to the Champions Center if you can't find a taker. Heck, even Larry K. might have a use for it.

He actually had 25 different cards issued, but I don't think any are worth much. I have a cpl buried in boxes in my back bedrooms somewhere too, but they're not worth digging out.

https://vintagecardprices.com/name-search/Larry-Krystkowiak/basketball-cards

https://www.sportlots.com/Basketball/Player_values/Larry-Krystkowiak.tpl

He only has one card listed over $1, so I wouldn't try to use a donation of said card as a write off. It would be neat to have all 25 of his cards displayed somewhere though.

Ya, I got several Krysco cards and they are all worth zilch. The sports card market is not what it was 20 years ago and good luck trying to get listed value for any sports card. My collection is over 50,000 cards and my most valued is a little over $100(was well over $200 20 years ago) and I doubt I could get $50 for it. Maybe some day they’ll come back around. Tell then they’re just taking up a corner of my storage unit.

alabamagrizzly said:
Ya, I got several Krysco cards and they are all worth zilch. The sports card market is not what it was 20 years ago and good luck trying to get listed value for any sports card. My collection is over 50,000 cards and my most valued is a little over $100(was well over $200 20 years ago) and I doubt I could get $50 for it. Maybe some day they’ll come back around. Tell then they’re just taking up a corner of my storage unit.

Kind of like the stamp collection I inherited.

Back when Larry K was coaching the Griz, I had about 10 of his cards, for some reason. I sent them to the UM athletic department because I noticed they were having a scholarship fundraiser. I said, why don't you have the coach sign them, and sell half of them at the fundraiser and send the rest back to me. Which they did.
So the department might want it for something like that. And I believe Larry K comes back to MT once in a while so he might be able to sign it, increasing its appeal.

alabamagrizzly said:

Card market is doing well for high end - high quality. Pull your nicer cards, get them graded, you can get top dollar for 9’s and 10’s vintage. The bust actually started in 1987 with Topps over production, there was some excitement for modern players into the early 90s. It was pretty much done by 1994 when I left the hobby.

I have about 650,000 cards, and luckily much of it is vintage. I’m complete from 69-94 Topps, and about 90% complete from 57-68. My oldest cards are 1933 Goudeys

ordigger said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Card market is doing well for high end - high quality. Pull your nicer cards, get them graded, you can get top dollar for 9’s and 10’s vintage. The bust actually started in 1987 with Topps over production, there was some excitement for modern players into the early 90s. It was pretty much done by 1994 when I left the hobby.

I have about 650,000 cards, and luckily much of it is vintage. I’m complete from 69-94 Topps, and about 90% complete from 57-68. My oldest cards are 1933 Goudeys

Wow. If you don't mind me asking, how much room do they take up and how do you store them?

cclarkblues said:
ordigger said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Wow. If you don't mind me asking, how much room do they take up and how do you store them?

Older stuff is in a variety of protective casings. I have them sorted by team in books up to 1976, so you can follow every Chicago Cub player I have for example starting with my 1952 (which I only have about 50 of). The rest are in cardboard storage boxes, which are in plastic totes. Nicer stuff stored in a cool basement. The majority of my baseball (mostly post 1980), and other sports in a climate controlled storage facility. It’s about dozen totes at least. And I’ve barely touched any of it in 25 years. The storage unit is fairly recent. I travel a lot for work so don’t have a house that I live in anymore.

Early on before Gold and Silver got into, we were setting up some of the earliest shows in Missoula and Butte, in early 80s.

ordigger said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I'm impressed with your collection. I would argue that the de-valuation occurred not because of Topps, but because of the glut of other products after 1987. For my entire youth Topps was the only legit card set issued every year, and then suddenly there were dozens of companies trying to compete and watered-down the market.

Zirg said:
ordigger said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I'm impressed with your collection. I would argue that the de-valuation occurred not because of Topps, but because of the glut of other products after 1987. For my entire youth Topps was the only legit card set issued every year, and then suddenly there were dozens of companies trying to compete and watered-down the market.

You’re right, I just meant compared to Donruss and Fleer the 1987 Baseball was overproduced. By 1988 you had Score, and then mass production of the other two. 1989 Upper Deck came out with the premium product, but that led to the other companies coming out with standard and hi end product, and it kept snowballing. Hobby only boxes, retail only, inserts changed the excitement of completing a set to basically gambling for that hit. By 1994 I was disillusioned, lol

Back