• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Something has to break... this week?

grizzlyjournal

After the great news that Montana coach Travis DeCuire (and most of his staff) turned down lucrative offers to stay at UM, I've been curious to see what the first moves would be to further strengthen a program coming off two-straight NCAA appearances.

* Michael Steadman's commit was the first sign, but since he's apparently not eligible until next year, it seemed other moves were imminent.
Jashire Hardnett looked to fit the perfect profile for immediate upperclass help until talented freshmen (Egun & Vasquez) got solid game-time experience, but eligibility issues apparently hindered his signing.
Zach Payne looks to be the perfect addition as assistant coach with NW and CA ties to fill the spot vacated by Rachi Wortham.
• But here we are, early August, with Hardnett backing out and with two scholarship slots still not filled. A look at the Griz roster gives a hint of significant talent. But they're young. The NCAA transfer portal still shows many unsigned transfers. The only known potential JC recruit w-Montana connections just signed with Portland State.
• Montana's 2019-20 schedule is bound to be published soon. But right now that seems secondary to "hoped for" news of one or two late signees that'll make this year's roster even grander.
• The only other sign of an unsigned 2019 recruit with Montana ties is 3-star H.S. grad Jamon Kemp of Seattle's Rainier Beach H.S. But Mr. Kemp has been keeping things close to the vest...
• Which, of course, is also how coach DeCuire runs his program. Occasionally, though, coach DeCuire will signal something big with a simple tweet... which he JUST did (see below) this morning.

I could be dead wrong with this pining post, but... I'm thinking something has to break. Very soon. Go Griz.

[media]https://twitter.com/CoachDeCuire/status/1158414768333451264[/media]

Grizjournal - nice summary of where we are. As I understand the NCAA rules, anyone we offer now that the official signing period is over can change his mind up until the first day of classes. If so, that makes things pretty "iffy" for the next month or so.

Do you have any insight on what is going on with the women's assistant position? I can't understand why the department waits so danged long to make those announcements.

It is interesting that we thought that the turnover in the off-season would come from the women and it came from the men instead.

Good call and your gut is good on this. This is exactly what TD does when something good is about to surface.

717s7e said:
Grizjournal - nice summary of where we are. As I understand the NCAA rules, anyone we offer now that the official signing period is over can change his mind up until the first day of classes. If so, that makes things pretty "iffy" for the next month or so.

Do you have any insight on what is going on with the women's assistant position? I can't understand why the department waits so danged long to make those announcements.

It is interesting that we thought that the turnover in the off-season would come from the women and it came from the men instead.

I heard from good source on the women's position this weekend. Not sure why it's quiet but I won't be the one to name the name I heard here. Hellgate High girls coach is excited about the rumored coach bringing his family with him!

Mousegriz said:
717s7e said:

I heard from good source on the women's position this weekend. Not sure why it's quiet but I won't be the one to name the name I heard here. Hellgate High girls coach is excited about the rumored coach bringing his family with him!

Just saw on Twitter that Nate Covill has moved to Missoula with his family to start a new chapter. I am guessing he will be the new assistant coach for the Lady Griz. I would bet that Travis did some lobbying for him since their college playing days overlapped. Nate brings with him two very tall daughters that play basketball.

https://twitter.com/CovillNathan/status/1158756531921391616

go96griz said:
Mousegriz said:
717s7e said:

Just saw on Twitter that Nate Covill has moved to Missoula with his family to start a new chapter. I am guessing he will be the new assistant coach for the Lady Griz. I would bet that Travis did some lobbying for him since their college playing days overlapped. Nate brings with him two very tall daughters that play basketball.

https://twitter.com/CovillNathan/status/1158756531921391616

Thanks for the link, go96griz!

So... I'm thinking this is connected to coach DeCuire's "Great Day to be a Griz" post earlier this week.

[media]https://twitter.com/khansen406/status/1160611446620925952[/media]

Here's some background on Gaskin from the Salt Lake Tribune. It appears he'll be eligible as a RS frosh. I'm not certain about his status regarding whether he will have to sit a year, as noted in another thread.

Gaskin is rated as a 3-star guard by ESPN.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2019/07/30/naseem-gaskin-is-sixth/

Naseem's BIO: (I ripped this from the University of Utah basketball roster page)

NASEEM GASKIN: Ranked as a three-star recruit by both ESPN.com and 247Sports.com … ranked a top-50 player out of the state of California by both sites, ESPN.com ranks him No. 37 overall … helped lead his high squad to the CIF state championship playoffs as a junior … shot better than 55 percent from the field, which included a 35.5 percent effort from beyond the three-point line that season … as a senior, he was named a MaxPreps.com all-state honorable mention selection after registering 14.5 ppg, 6.7 rebounds and 1.7 assists ... also earned senior-year honors from: Bay Area News Group All-Area First Team; San Francisco Chronicle All-Metro Second Team; Prep2Prep All-North Coast First Team; SportsStars Magazine All-NorCal First Team.

PERSONAL
Son to Ashpenaz Gaskin ... has four siblings: Lina, Leah, Layla and Chibi ... born Feb. 15, 2000 ... was a member of his high school's ping pong club.

grizzlyjournal said:
So... I'm thinking this is connected to coach DeCuire's "Great Day to be a Griz" post earlier this week.

[media]https://twitter.com/khansen406/status/1160611446620925952[/media]

It absolutely is! This was a big time get for TD. This kid can play.

Interesting article:

https://247sports.com/Article/BREAKING-Naseem-Gaskins-has-entered-the-transfer-portal-134041191

Back