• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Our Awesome Underclass

citygriz

I think we all agree: This staff can recruit.

The evidence is not only in the graduated seniors who won two straight Big Sky titles before they moved on, but in Pridgett, Falls and Manuel, and now Samuelson and next year Steadman.

Still, I think the greatest recruiting gems are within the awesome underclass on this year's team--nine freshmen or sophomores, bursting with potential.

This is why I believe our program is at the point in its development that it doesn't rebuild, it reloads.

So: Which of the underclassmen will emerge this year? And what visual or personal evidence do you have to support your beliefs?

I'd like to know.

citay said:

The evidence is not only in the graduated seniors who won two straight Big Sky titles before they moved on, but in Pridgett, Falls and Manuel, and now Samuelson and next year Steadman.

Still, I think the greatest recruiting gems are within the awesome underclass on this year's team--nine freshmen or sophomores, bursting with potential.

This is why I believe our program is at the point in its development that it doesn't rebuild, it reloads.

So: Which of the underclassmen will emerge this year? And what visual or personal evidence do you have to support your beliefs?

I'd like to know.

This is a strange post
Citay: "The underclass is bursting with potential!"
Also Citay: "Please tell me the names of the underclassmen who are good."

Me thinks he just is bored and wants to start a conversation - anything to get us through the boring summer days of no hoops.

I am surprised that nobody reported on the summer hoops where the recruits come in for a session of summer school and play a lot of ratball - anyone see that?

I am also surprised that the staff hasn't plugged those two open scholarships - there must be someone who could help, particularly someone with only one year of eligibility.

And still no news on the women's assistant position?? What's with that?

kyle_sample said:
citay said:

I'd like to know.

This is a strange post

Yo, Mr. Kyle.

You ever so slightly misquoted me: I did not use an exclamation mark after "potential." See? I am a realist. Somewhat.

I think each of the three incoming freshmen is good--very good. Egun too. Freddy Brown put up incredible numbers in high school in one of the most competitive high school leagues in the country. Mack Anderson showed great potential last year. Can he build on it? Somebody on this board claims Yagi is a great shooter. But...

You and I are coming from decidedly different places. You are a journalist. Hopefully, a hard-headed, sometimes even cynical pursuer of the truth. You "tell it like it is," or at the very least, call it as you see it. I expect nothing less from you.

But I'm a fan. I'm entitled to emotional excess and blatant bias in my opinions, good and bad. If I see great potential in our current underclassmen, or overstate the abilities of this coaching staff, or criticize them for playing a shorter bench that I would like, well, that is my right.

Thus, for the life of me, I do not see what's "strange" about my post. This is a fan talking--albeit, as 717 aptly points out, a bored one.

I have 2 separate answers to this question.

I think that eddy egun will have the most immediate impact. (Outside of Anderson who I expect to start) He was an incredibly talented player coming in last year. He has great speed, size, and knows how to play the game. Because he redshirted last year I think he will be primed to get off to a quick start this season. I'm excited for him to have 4 great years with the team.

On the other hand, I think Josh Vazquez will have the best career with the Griz out of all the underclassman. He has the potential to break Decuire's assist records, and is a lights out shooter with a lot of pace. I was personally hoping with hardnett in the squad he would get to redshirt this season but I still think he is a great player and can have an impact on this team.

From my perspective Decuire's biggest strengths as a coach are recruiting and player development, which means the future looks bright for griz basketball!

kyle_sample said:
citay said:

I'd like to know.

This is a strange post

your post is the strange one, sample. i hope your read and write better in real life.

citay said:
kyle_sample said:
citay said:

I'd like to know.

This is a strange post

Yo, Mr. Kyle.

You ever so slightly misquoted me: I did not use an exclamation mark after "potential." See? I am a realist. Somewhat.

I think each of the three incoming freshmen is good--very good. Egun too. Freddy Brown put up incredible numbers in high school in one of the most competitive high school leagues in the country. Mack Anderson showed great potential last year. Can he build on it? Somebody on this board claims Yagi is a great shooter. But...

You and I are coming from decidedly different places. You are a journalist. Hopefully, a hard-headed, sometimes even cynical pursuer of the truth. You "tell it like it is," or at the very least, call it as you see it. I expect nothing less from you.

But I'm a fan. I'm entitled to emotional excess and blatant bias in my opinions, good and bad. If I see great potential in our current underclassmen, or overstate the abilities of this coaching staff, or criticize them for playing a shorter bench that I would like, well, that is my right.

Thus, for the life of me, I do not see what's "strange" about my post. This is a fan talking--albeit, as 717 aptly points out, a bored one.

One small point. Sample is not a journalist. He works for one of the bigger and better tech companies in Missoula.

I got to watch a few open runs earlier this summer. None of the freshmen were here yet, Yagi was back home, no Samuelson yet. It was a small sample size and only one man's observations so take it for what its worth. I always like it when people share any offseason info to fuel my Griz hoops obsession.

Sayeed wants to be the leader of this team and is trying to figure it out. Not there yet but big steps already. He is going to get all the shot attempts he wants this year. The outside jumper is still a work in progress. From my perspective confidence is the only thing holding him back. Which is weird because he has A LOT OF IT!

Kendall is as smooth as they come it will be interesting to see if his dribble penetration game can take another step forward this year when teams are game-planning for him. If so lookout.

Timmy ... I still don't know what to think of him. His game has brillance and huge holes all at the same time. It's going to be fun to see what happens when the lights are on. This team really needs a setup guy, I hope him and or Vasquez can fill that role.

Stedman is going to be great for us. A year of working with the training staff and the coaches and he is going to tear it up in the BS.

Anderson didn't do much but the guards dominated the ball quite a bit. He sure looks the part and has put on 10-15 lbs already without losing any bounce. Confidence for him is another biggie the pieces are there just has to believe he can do it.

Eddy is Sayeed 2.0 amazing right-hand amazing finishes... no left, no jumper. Great Defender. Great energy and personality. I'm excited to watch him this year.

Freddy is an awesome guy but if he is playing significant minutes that is not good. He couldn't get much done vs the bigger defenders and they were all bigger.

Jordan Gregory is sooooo fun to watch. If the fire he plays with rubs off on any of these guys it would be amazing.

Once again all these observations were from a small sample size.

flatheadgriz406 said:
I got to watch a few open runs earlier this summer. None of the freshmen were here yet, Yagi was back home, no Samuelson yet. It was a small sample size and only one man's observations so take it for what its worth. I always like it when people share any offseason info to fuel my Griz hoops obsession.

Sayeed wants to be the leader of this team and is trying to figure it out. Not there yet but big steps already. He is going to get all the shot attempts he wants this year. The outside jumper is still a work in progress. From my perspective confidence is the only thing holding him back. Which is weird because he has A LOT OF IT!

Kendall is as smooth as they come it will be interesting to see if his dribble penetration game can take another step forward this year when teams are game-planning for him. If so lookout.

Timmy ... I still don't know what to think of him. His game has brillance and huge holes all at the same time. It's going to be fun to see what happens when the lights are on. This team really needs a setup guy, I hope him and or Vasquez can fill that role.

Stedman is going to be great for us. A year of working with the training staff and the coaches and he is going to tear it up in the BS.

Anderson didn't do much but the guards dominated the ball quite a bit. He sure looks the part and has put on 10-15 lbs already without losing any bounce. Confidence for him is another biggie the pieces are there just has to believe he can do it.

Eddy is Sayeed 2.0 amazing right-hand amazing finishes... no left, no jumper. Great Defender. Great energy and personality. I'm excited to watch him this year.

Freddy is an awesome guy but if he is playing significant minutes that is not good. He couldn't get much done vs the bigger defenders and they were all bigger.

Jordan Gregory is sooooo fun to watch. If the fire he plays with rubs off on any of these guys it would be amazing.

Once again all these observations were from a small sample size.

Jeez. No schedule. No word on new recruits. No word on the new women's coach. August doldrums. Small sample size? I'll take it! Thanks Flathead.

How can you tell if this is an "awesome" underclass until we see them play a real game against a Power 5 team and WIN. UM has scheduled some good games, as they have for the past couple of years but have won only one, that I recall. I think UM will be good. But, awesome is a stretch...a win at New Mexico, and the like determine if this team is awesome or not.

GrizLA said:
How can you tell if this is an "awesome" underclass until we see them play a real game against a Power 5 team and WIN. UM has scheduled some good games, as they have for the past couple of years but have won only one, that I recall. I think UM will be good. But, awesome is a stretch...a win at New Mexico, and the like determine if this team is awesome or not.
We are talking about our incoming freshman and we believe they are “awesome” because Travis has told those of us, who go to games and support the team that this is the best recruiting class he has ever had.

To answer Citay’s post, Vasquez is most likely to play next year and will probably start. Timmy is more of a combo guard like Rorie, we want a pure point guard like Vasquez so we can run more actual offense instead of Iso stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if TDC played Timmy at point when/if teams go zone (like last year) or when playing a team that presses heavily (PSU).

WaGriz and MM, both of you :thumb: :thumb:

My question to you is, does Timmy still play the 6th man role ? both defensively and offensively.

fanofzoo said:
WaGriz and MM, both of you :thumb: :thumb:

My question to you is, does Timmy still play the 6th man role ? both defensively and offensively.

Hmmmm, good question. I would think maybe at the beginning of the year, no, he'll be in the starting line-up. That is just purely on a "gut" guess. My reasoning is that with TDC, if you don't play solid team D, you usually don't play. Also, it has been pretty rare when an incoming freshman has been able to pick up the defensive schematics that TDC runs - and those freshman usually sit until they aren't too much of a defensive liability.

If I'm remembering correctly, I believe Falls started a handful of games in the middle of the year. I also believe he played PG quite often in high school, though TDC's offensive principles are different. Of course, if he matures more (as most young men do entering their junior and senior year), he may be able to harness all that energy to play just as quick, yet more efficient on the offensive end - and by that I mean, not turning the ball over and getting the team into the offense.

TDC has also shown no qualms about switching up who brings the ball up court. If you can handle the ball without turning the ball over and get the offense into the initial set, chances are, you'll find yourself bringing the ball up court (Timmy brought the ball up usually when Rorie and Oguine sat, Sayeed last year, Manuel a bit last year, Breunig in years past (remember, it gave EWU fits on how to defend it in the regular season)).

TL;DR - if Timmy has grown his game and cuts down on the turnovers, I can see him being the main "facilitator" until Vazquez gets the defensive scheme dialed down and Egun gets more game experience under his belt.

Back