• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Turnover in Men's BB

ordigger

DONOR
Rarely talked about, but DeCuire seems to have a lot of turnover amongst his players. Winning seems to keep the issue from blowing up, but it seems the number of undergrads leaving is actually more than the women's team the last 4-5 years.

Im curious as to why people think this is?
- Nature of the college game now because of the ease to transfer with the portal?
- Players unable to adjust to the Griz defensive intensity?
- Obviously some wont play, but these guys used to stick around still.
- Talent keeps improving? (But still loss some potential key players)
- Fans appreciate coaches, but is there something else here? Behind the scenes?
- Missoula is simply hard to adjust to?

I have no clue, but it seems odd - and the angst is more measured then when it happens in football or womans bb.

I’m not going to worry about it absent some compelling reason to worry about it. Miller might have left for a bigger program. Worster may have seen the writing on the wall. I have no idea. But I’m content at this point to see how it plays out. :thumb:

Easy answer. DeCuire sets high expectations, on and off the court. He expects 100% buy in, in everything for each player. He doesn't let there be much deviation for any player. Team above individual talent. The minor things add up every bit as much as the major things. It's not wise to toe any line with Travis. If a player begins to get off course, he best man up (like Falls did), or he better pack up. This is 100% DeCuire's program, as it should be!!!

mtgrizrule said:
Easy answer. DeCuire sets high expectations, on and off the court. He expects 100% buy in. in everything for each player. He doesn't let there be much deviation for any player. Team above individual talent. The minor things add up every bit as much as the major things. It's not wise to toe any line with Travis. If a player begins to get off course, he best man up (like Falls did), or he better pack up. This is 100% DeCuire's program, as it should be!!!

I believe this is spot on

Paytonlives said:
mtgrizrule said:
Easy answer. DeCuire sets high expectations, on and off the court. He expects 100% buy in. in everything for each player. He doesn't let there be much deviation for any player. Team above individual talent. The minor things add up every bit as much as the major things. It's not wise to toe any line with Travis. If a player begins to get off course, he best man up (like Falls did), or he better pack up. This is 100% DeCuire's program, as it should be!!!

I believe this is spot on

T shirts, banners, hats for DeCuire...…."Man up or pack up?"
I absolutely love his expectations, discipline, and stamp he has put on "GRIZ" basketball. I feel he is the 1st coach, to put his stamp on the program, and not deviated from it.

mtgrizrule said:
Easy answer. DeCuire sets high expectations, on and off the court. He expects 100% buy in, in everything for each player. He doesn't let there be much deviation for any player. Team above individual talent. The minor things add up every bit as much as the major things. It's not wise to toe any line with Travis. If a player begins to get off course, he best man up (like Falls did), or he better pack up. This is 100% DeCuire's program, as it should be!!!
Bingo. This post nails it.

Good point by the OP.

My guess is that most men departing leave because they are told that they aren't going to play, or aren't going to play nearly as much as they want. Most probably leave on reasonably good terms, or at least not bad terms. There are probably some exceptions to this. I doubt that any or many of the team, or their parents, are complaining or mumbling about DeCuire in the background.

Coach D is very clear to his guys. Come compete give it 100% and if they aren’t cutting it or aren’t going to see the time they want he has honest and true conversations with them. Some stick it out and prove their worth. Some bolt for bigger/different dreams. Notice very very few if any players leave and bad mouth the program or the coach. He has an open door policy and is open and direct with his team too. He also understands, turnover can help bring in experienced talent. Notice he often fills holes with transfers to bolster experience and leadership. He knows he cant bring in 2/3 star guys that are trying to prove themselves and expect them to stay if they are only hoping for 10 minutes a game. He doesn’t want a 10 player rotation and he tells players that. He wants 8 guys...9 at most that will see good time. When you recruit 10-11 talented motivated young men...you are gonna lose a few. Not to mention the expectation of 100% team all the time he expects of his guys. He expects defense and huddle. Not all players can cut or want to play that type of a system. I actually think some of the turnover is the reason we keep winning. He is not scared to go find someone who wants it and has experience. The guy can recruit HS and College players and he knows it.

It's a case of Travis setting high expectations, having complete integrity, and honest communication.

TDC expects a lot, and when his players do not meet those expectations in one sense or another, he is honest with them and tells them as much, openly letting them know there won't be much floor time available to them.

In short, it's the process to build a championship program.

Interesting how men’s has a higher defection rate then women’s and everyone says “TD runs a tight ship as it should be” but “Shannon’s a mean bitch who chases everyone off.” Is there a difference cause of winning or gender?

alabamagrizzly said:
Interesting how men’s has a higher defection rate then women’s and everyone says “TD runs a tight ship as it should be” but “Shannon’s a mean bitch who chases everyone off.” Is there a difference cause of winning or gender?

Nope, nothing to do with winning or gender.

alabamagrizzly said:

great point! Winning cures everything,right? Or at least justifies everything.

Back