• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

No more Dorsey

How could the NCAA have not granted him another year? That makes no sense at all. Thank you Dorsey. You will be missed.

Griz til I die said:
How could the NCAA have not granted him another year? That makes no sense at all. Thank you Dorsey. You will be missed.

I’m not sure he even pursued it. Some rumors that he was ready to just be done.

HookedonGriz said:
Being reported on twitter he won’t be back. Darn he looked so good as he got healthy. Best of luck DD!
It looks like Samuelson will have a scholarship if this article is accurate........https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/byu-grad-transfer-not-taking-anything-for-granted-in-fresh/article_75f1637e-1420-5ddf-bdf5-ddbcccc75232.html

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/byu-grad-transfer-not-taking-anything-for-granted-in-fresh/article_076bb1f9-3655-56c2-906a-d25496121dc2.html

On Wednesday a source told 406mtsports.com that redshirt senior Donaven Dorsey will not be returning to Montana for a potential sixth year. Dorsey spent his first two college seasons at Washington before transferring to Missoula. He sat one year due to transfer rules and missed his second year after having surgery. In his lone season suiting up on the court for Montana, Dorsey appeared in 32 games in 2018-2019, starting in 10. He averaged 6.2 points and 1.6 rebounds per game. The 6-foot-7 post added another threat from deep for Montana and shot 46.1 percent from beyond the arc.

With Dorsey not coming back, Pridgett and Kendal Manuel will be Montana’s two incoming seniors who return from this year’s team next season. Timmy Falls (incoming junior) and Mack Anderson (incoming sophomore) are the two other main returning rotation players from a year ago.

This is going to be a tough pair of shoes to fill. Shooting/floor spacing let alone a guy that has proven to make big shots in big spots. He was one of the few proven commodities we had on the roster.
It potentially means only one person Sayeed, is returning to a similar role next year. Everyone else stepping into a new role.
There was a lot of expectation and pressure to repeat coming into last year. Can't wait to see how the coaching staff develops these guys over the offseason. It will be interesting to see how Travis adapts to all of the new roles.
Young guys are going to have to step up to the plate in a hurry!

I don’t think the coaching staff is as concerned about this as you guys seem to be. The occasional 3 was very nice and really helped especially in the BSC tourney. But I don’t think DD’s D met TDC’s standard, and my guess is they did not push him hard to pursue the 6th year. I’ve heard “mutual” a few times now

garizzalies said:
I don’t think the coaching staff is as concerned about this as you guys seem to be. The occasional 3 was very nice and really helped especially in the BSC tourney. But I don’t think DD’s D met TDC’s standard, and my guess is they did not push him hard to pursue the 6th year. I’ve heard “mutual” a few times now

I wondered about that, even during the season....it would explain the lack of minutes.

AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:

I wondered about that, even during the season....it would explain the lack of minutes.
Of course, the early lack of minutes can be partially explained by Donaven's two year lay off due to a pretty serious medical condition. I think he will really be missed.

garizzalies said:

My UW hoops fan friends say that Dorsey didn't get more playing time at UW due to lack of defense.

GrizWhiz said:
AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:

Of course, the early lack of minutes can be partially explained by Donaven's two year lay off due to a pretty serious medical condition. I think he will really be missed.
Yes, but later on, when it appeared he was poised to take a major role, it never really materialized...

GrizWhiz said:
AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:

I have to agree that letting Dorsey leave doesn't make a whole lot of sense from our position. His shooting was elite and something we really lack, I never saw an issue with his defense.

I certainly don't think I would choose Samuleson over him if that's what the calculus ultimately was.

DPGriz said:
GrizWhiz said:
AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:

I have to agree that letting Dorsey leave doesn't make a whole lot of sense from our position. His shooting was elite and something we really lack, I never saw an issue with his defense.

I certainly don't think I would choose Samuleson over him if that's what the calculus ultimately was.
He has his degree. He is ready to move on to the next chapter in his life. He doesn't want to go to school for another year just to play basketball.

maroonandsilver said:
DPGriz said:
GrizWhiz said:
AZGrizFan said:

He has his degree. He is ready to move on to the next chapter in his life. He doesn't want to go to school for another year just to play basketball.

I've got no problem with that if he made the choice to move on. I do hope that the staff made an effort to keep him if a waiver was possible though.

Does this open the door for Tony Miller to be a bigger part of the rotation? He is almost the same height and weight.

debellatio said:
Does this open the door for Tony Miller to be a bigger part of the rotation? He is almost the same height and weight.

Could’ve been a D2 All American. He didn’t transfer to not be in the rotation. Let that simmer..... and everyone needs to quit speculating and be patient. They’re gonna hang another banner next year.

DPGriz said:
I've got no problem with that if he made the choice to move on. I do hope that the staff made an effort to keep him if a waiver was possible though.

From my understanding there was no "if" about it.

grizindabox said:
DPGriz said:

From my understanding there was no "if" about it.
What, exactly do you mean in stating this?

This is part speculation and part my discussions with the basketball staff but although Dorsey did bring some value to the team his departure was mutual. He had a tendency to take plays off and his defense was not up to what was expected from his position. The two years on the sidelines didn’t help him either. Granted towards the end of the season his outside shooting was instrumental in our run in Boise but the staff, at least in my opinion didn’t feel he was a good fit moving forward. I guess time will tell. I wish him success in his future endeavors.

Back