• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The DeCuire Era: Phase II

citygriz

The speculation that Dorsey will not return next year only emphasizes for me that Phase I of the DeCuire era is over. We are clearly into Phase II. To wit:

Of last year's roster, seven do not return. They include: Oguine, DeCuire's first major recruit; Rorie, probably the most heralded transfer in the history of Montana hoops; Moorehead, another key early recruit; and both Akoh and Dorsey, two more high-profile transfers. Gone too are all the bigs from Phase I who might have been around to lead the team next year, but instead washed out of the program: Anderson, Besovic, Nicholas, Kramer and Carter.

And, yes, Phase I was glorious: Two trips to the Big Dance, and two players who will one day be in the Montana Hall of Fame, Oguine and Rorie.

Enter now Phase II: Eight new players. One redshirt: Egun; three "fabulous frosh:" Carter-Hollinger, Owens, and Vasquez; and four transfers, Hardnett, Selchuk, Samuelson and Miller. You might even make the case that Mack Anderson will be a new player, a true frosh last year who clearly could have used a redshirt year to bulk up to D1 standards.

So what do I think about Phase II?

That next year, despite the adjustments, we'll be very good. And that by season's end, we'll be in a position for another trip to the Big Dance.

But that the year after that, with all the adjustments made, the freshmen all a year older, and Steadman joining the mix--watch out! The Sky is not the limit.

If Dorsey does not return, and I would like to see something definite on this, one way or the other, then another scholarship seems to be available. I hope Dorsey does return. He was tremendous towards the end of the season! :clap:

citay said:
The speculation that Dorsey will not return next year only emphasizes for me that Phase I of the DeCuire era is over. We are clearly into Phase II. To wit:

Of last year's roster, seven do not return. They include: Oguine, DeCuire's first major recruit; Rorie, probably the most heralded transfer in the history of Montana hoops; Moorehead, another key early recruit; and both Akoh and Dorsey, two more high-profile transfers. Gone too are all the bigs from Phase I who might have been around to lead the team next year, but instead washed out of the program: Anderson, Besovic, Nicholas, Kramer and Carter.

And, yes, Phase I was glorious: Two trips to the Big Dance, and two players who will one day be in the Montana Hall of Fame, Oguine and Rorie.

Enter now Phase II: Eight new players. One redshirt: Egun; three "fabulous frosh:" Carter-Hollinger, Owens, and Vasquez; and four transfers, Hardnett, Selchuk, Samuelson and Miller. You might even make the case that Mack Anderson will be a new player, a true frosh last year who clearly could have used a redshirt year to bulk up to D1 standards.

So what do I think about Phase II?

That next year, despite the adjustments, we'll be very good. And that by season's end, we'll be in a position for another trip to the Big Dance.

But that the year after that, with all the adjustments made, the freshmen all a year older, and Steadman joining the mix--watch out! The Sky is not the limit.

He is the best coach in this state..in any sport. UM is very fortunate to have him. Think about it..he is bringing in a level of out of state talent that unreal. And they are good kids that are graduating and great ambassadors for the university. Along with that he will have three Montana kids in rotation next year (Samuelson, Manuel and Anderson) that will all contribute. So that makes locals happy. I think he is a guy that parents like and trust with their sons. And besides that he is just a helluva coach. The longer he stays here the better the program will get.

DeCuire is terrific. I'm happy and excited to have him back, and at a very committed level. This season is huge for his resume and future. He has the challenge of successfully moving on with the loss of an all time great Sr class, and quickly developing a very talented freshman class. Will this define the program as rebuilding or reloading? Reloading is something top elite programs look for in a coach. Another return to the NCAA tournament will set up DeCuire for 1 of the few jobs he chooses as worthy enough to leave Montana for. I still think, that's a few years away.

GrizWhiz said:
If Dorsey does not return, and I would like to see something definite on this, one way or the other, then another scholarship seems to be available. I hope Dorsey does return. He was tremendous towards the end of the season! :clap:

Of course I can’t say for sure but what I hear is it sounds like he doesn't want to do another year of schooling to be able to play.

Fathergriz said:
GrizWhiz said:

Of course I can’t say for sure but what I hear is it sounds like he doesn't want to do another year of schooling to be able to play.
I was hearing from one of my sports media friends as early as last December that Dorsey was probably ready to move on after he got his degree (which he just did).

Back